This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does Blizzard justify a $50 price tag on the upcoming WoW expansion?

#1lazycomplifePosted 8/17/2014 8:10:19 PM(edited)
That's just ridiculous. They already get $15 a month from millions of subscribers. I'm glad I never really got into WoW.
---
Official Swinub - 3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
Steam/PSN/Nintendo ID: Sythierius
#2RosencroitzPosted 8/17/2014 7:39:16 PM
lolu
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.
#3jake-sfPosted 8/17/2014 7:42:45 PM
How did they ever get away with asking anything for their expansions at all, is the right question.

I mean, I adore the excuse of "we pay monthly fees because we get content", and yet they have paid expansions.

Its a wonder monthly fees even work anywhere in gaming, though. They really shouldn't.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#4JhayCeePosted 8/17/2014 7:46:44 PM
jake-sf posted...
How did they ever get away with asking anything for their expansions at all, is the right question.

I mean, I adore the excuse of "we pay monthly fees because we get content", and yet they have paid expansions.

Its a wonder monthly fees even work anywhere in gaming, though. They really shouldn't.

Expansions take a lot of money and effort to produce. We're not talking about minor and major patches here -- we're talking about an almost entirely different game on top of the current game. For me, I treat expansions like how I treat sequels.
---
Religious people often judge me for being an atheist just because I don't believe in their god. I have a god that I believe in; his name is Gaben.
#5ClashtonnPosted 8/17/2014 7:48:03 PM
JhayCee posted...
jake-sf posted...

Expansions take a lot of money and effort to produce. We're not talking about minor and major patches here -- we're talking about an almost entirely different game on top of the current game. For me, I treat expansions like how I treat sequels.

This.

I mean yeah, they make enough money to be able to afford to release them for free. But they wouldn't be worth making in that case. Or at least not going so far with them.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#6Orestes417Posted 8/17/2014 7:48:40 PM
$50 is piss in the proverbial bucket when it comes to MMOs. To put it in metaphorical context whining about it if you're actually deep into the game is like whining about how much it costs to get your progression gear enchanted first week.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#7jake-sfPosted 8/17/2014 7:51:11 PM(edited)
JhayCee posted...

Yeah, uh, and you think they get how much from their 15$ a month?

Or do people actually believe their servers cost anywhere near that per players monthly?

The point is they're already getting paid tons for those expansions.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#8HolyKnight199Posted 8/17/2014 7:52:46 PM
There's no justification for charging for the expansion on top of the monthly fee. The monthly fee is supposed to be there to maintain the server and pay for content updates, but in 2014 server maintenance is cheap, so that leaves content updates... which doesn't work either because Blizzard has not released a single content update in almost one year.

Conclusion? Blizzard is lying to their player base and they're not spending their monthly subscription fee on maintenance, and instead they're putting them on either the expansion or on other projects. An expansion that will cost 40$ at launch.

If Blizzard had any respect for their subbed players they would offer a discount on the expansion to the players that are remaining subbed while Blizzard is using their money on the expansion, because they're going to be paying twice for it. Instead, they have the balls to add a cash shop and charge 25$ for exclusive mounts.

In the meantime, Guild Wars 2 charges 0$ per month and delivers a fresh story-rich update every 2 weeks. Now, I don't necessarily recommend playing GW2 because it has its load of problems (especially for non-casuals) but that shows how ugly Blizzard has become over years.

I miss the old Blizzard.
---
Peace!
#9Orestes417Posted 8/17/2014 7:55:05 PM
At what point did Blizz ever claim the $15 fee was derived from maintenance costs? Their justification is that people will pay it and they aren't a charity. Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#10lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 7:56:17 PM
Seriously guys, they have about 6.8 million active subscribers right now. That's about $102 million a MONTH that they're making from subscriptions. If Blizzard can't make decent content on top of server maintenance for $102 million per month, then they don't deserve your money at all.
---
Official Swinub - 3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
Steam/PSN/Nintendo ID: Sythierius