This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does Blizzard justify a $50 price tag on the upcoming WoW expansion?

#11-5xad0w-Posted 8/17/2014 7:57:42 PM
Simple supply and demand.

They have a supply of something and demand $50 for it.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven
#12TheC0ndemnedOnePosted 8/17/2014 7:59:15 PM
To make up for the cost of marketing to bring in new players and bring back the old ones. Seriously, Blizzard does a lot of marketing.
---
Steam: Sydite
#13jake-sfPosted 8/17/2014 8:04:07 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
At what point did Blizz ever claim the $15 fee was derived from maintenance costs? Their justification is that people will pay it and they aren't a charity. Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay.

I don't care what they claim. I don't want people giving them a reason.

If you're paying for WoW's monthly fee, you admit you're paying for air.

Most of the time, people "defend" their subs by saying "well, they have to pay for their servers!".

So thats my common response. The upkeep costs for 1 player a month is less than 1$ (quite a bit less in fact, but I'm just rounding it up for fairness, this is what I made out of quickly googling it).

Its absolutely true that its just, in the end, that people are ready to pay for it.

But too many of those are stupid, and will think they have a reason to pay for it. They don't.

So the point being, MMOs with subscriptions are disgusting, and I don't like when people defend something that **** them in the ass.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#14HolyKnight199Posted 8/17/2014 8:02:42 PM
Orestes417 posted...
At what point did Blizz ever claim the $15 fee was derived from maintenance costs? Their justification is that people will pay it and they aren't a charity. Welcome to capitalism, enjoy your stay.

They always claimed it was for maintenance, service and updates. That's nothing new.
---
Peace!
#15lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 8:03:31 PM
Then again, Activision/Blizzard is the same company that releases a $60 game every year with minor tweaks and sells 20 million copies, then charges another $60 for all the additional content for the game. Every. Single. Year.
---
Official Swinub - 3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
Steam/PSN/Nintendo ID: Sythierius
#16Orestes417Posted 8/17/2014 8:03:48 PM
Back when I was raiding, I was looking at at least 4 hours a night 4 nights a week of raid time plus whatever I played on my own during the week. And I enjoyed raiding quite a lot. I'd consider my $15 well spent. So by all means, presume to whine about it, your tears feed me.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#17myztikricePosted 8/17/2014 8:03:49 PM
Because they can
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.
#18Silent Sniper IV(Moderator)Posted 8/17/2014 8:03:51 PM
The same way CoD and BF get away with four $15 map packs a year: their userbase pays it.
---
Irony is a maginot line drawn by the already condemned
#19Edavy89Posted 8/17/2014 8:04:00 PM
yeah, not like they have *thousands* of employees to pay as well or anything. Oh wait.
#20DiviDudePosted 8/17/2014 8:07:48 PM(edited)
myztikrice posted...
Because they can

Yep. If people are willing to pay $50, then they'd be stupid not to charge that, or even more. What, do you think they owe you something?