This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does Blizzard justify a $50 price tag on the upcoming WoW expansion?

#31blade6321Posted 8/17/2014 8:17:21 PM
This logic doesn't get applied to anything other than sub based games for some reason.

If the amount of content and the quality of experience you receive is worth the price you payed, it doesn't matter where the money goes.

Game companies don't "need" to sell games for $60, but they're not aiming to break even here folks. If it's too expensive then feel free to complain that you're not getting enough content, it just seems odd to complain about something which doesn't affect you as a consumer.
---
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198044407572/
Whose eyes are those eyes?
#32lazycomplife(Topic Creator)Posted 8/17/2014 8:53:40 PM
Wow is just a flashy skinner box for kids that have never played MMOs before. It's a decade old game that appeals to the same crowd that gets addicted to facebook games. The only reason people play it religiously is because they're literally addicted to it. To charge $15 a month + $50 a year is just robbing these poor, helpless monkeys that keep mashing 1,2,3 in hopes that they'll get some pretty looking gear.
---
Official Swinub - 3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
Steam/PSN/Nintendo ID: Sythierius
#33Lady UnePosted 8/17/2014 9:05:36 PM
lazycomplife posted...
Wow is just a flashy skinner box for kids that have never played MMOs before. It's a decade old game that appeals to the same crowd that gets addicted to facebook games. The only reason people play it religiously is because they're literally addicted to it. To charge $15 a month + $50 a year is just robbing these poor, helpless monkeys that keep mashing 1,2,3 in hopes that they'll get some pretty looking gear.

Too young to have heard of Everquest, huh?
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#34majinbuu58Posted 8/17/2014 9:12:01 PM
Because its worth it. You can put 50 hours into that expansion and not even scratch the surface of all the content it adds.
---
"realistically, im the most IRL person on this board with the most friends, most girls, and most fun adventures." -P64
#35jake-sfPosted 8/17/2014 9:18:03 PM
majinbuu58 posted...
Because its worth it. You can put 50 hours into that expansion and not even scratch the surface of all the content it adds.

Yeah.

Because its a MMO.

Designed to waste your time.

Are you one of those that says Minecraft is value because you've never seen everything it has to offer even after 3000 hours?

Jesus.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#36Run_2_the_HillsPosted 8/17/2014 9:56:35 PM
HolyKnight199 posted...
There's no justification for charging for the expansion on top of the monthly fee. The monthly fee is supposed to be there to maintain the server and pay for content updates, but in 2014 server maintenance is cheap, so that leaves content updates... which doesn't work either because Blizzard has not released a single content update in almost one year.

Conclusion? Blizzard is lying to their player base and they're not spending their monthly subscription fee on maintenance, and instead they're putting them on either the expansion or on other projects. An expansion that will cost 40$ at launch.

If Blizzard had any respect for their subbed players they would offer a discount on the expansion to the players that are remaining subbed while Blizzard is using their money on the expansion, because they're going to be paying twice for it. Instead, they have the balls to add a cash shop and charge 25$ for exclusive mounts.

In the meantime, Guild Wars 2 charges 0$ per month and delivers a fresh story-rich update every 2 weeks. Now, I don't necessarily recommend playing GW2 because it has its load of problems (especially for non-casuals) but that shows how ugly Blizzard has become over years.

I miss the old Blizzard.

what's better more or less?
more!
we want more, we want more.

blizz is a company and people are me willing to pay it so... i dropped it a long time ago.
#37SetzeraPosted 8/17/2014 10:04:10 PM
If I could just get 6.8 million people, to pay me $15 even once. I'd be set for life.
---
| AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 ghz | MSI 970A-G46 | MSI HD 7870 2GB | 8GB 1600 DDR3 | 650W Corsair | Win7 64bit | 1TB WD Blue | CM 912 HAF |
#38HolyKnight199Posted 8/17/2014 10:14:58 PM
Run_2_the_Hills posted...
what's better more or less?
more!
we want more, we want more.

blizz is a company and people are me willing to pay it so... i dropped it a long time ago.

It's one thing to look at Blizzard's offer and decide it's worth it for you, it's another to blindly defend a company's greediest practices and come out with lame lines like "welcome to capitalism" and "company make money so it's okay." The man that does the former is informed, the one that does the latter is a fool.

I'm definitely grabbing Warlords of Draenor at launch and subbing back because I have a great guild with fun people and I'm willing to close my eyes on the monthly fee to play with them. But that doesn't mean that I agree with Blizzard's pricing and I'm certainly not going to defend them. I'm just willing to put up with it.

Besides, it's not like Blizzard is the worst offender. Zenimax are far greedier than Blizzard on the MMO front even though they have a worse product. (ESO)
---
Peace!
#39Saga3Posted 8/17/2014 10:22:48 PM(edited)
They get away with a lot (Cash shop in an already P2P game) , a $50 expansion is the least of their greed.
#40Nmilek1Posted 8/17/2014 10:37:25 PM(edited)
Same way they justify increasing the price of UK subs despite 14 months of zero content,release diablo 3 they are a really ****ing dumb company makes me wonder if there are any of the original blizzard team left or just a bunch of marketing guys.

Glad I got out of it, sad to see a company / game I loved fall so low though.