This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How does Blizzard justify a $50 price tag on the upcoming WoW expansion?

#41Run_2_the_HillsPosted 8/17/2014 11:52:32 PM
HolyKnight199 posted...
Run_2_the_Hills posted...
what's better more or less?
more!
we want more, we want more.

blizz is a company and people are me willing to pay it so... i dropped it a long time ago.

It's one thing to look at Blizzard's offer and decide it's worth it for you, it's another to blindly defend a company's greediest practices and come out with lame lines like "welcome to capitalism" and "company make money so it's okay." The man that does the former is informed, the one that does the latter is a fool.

I'm definitely grabbing Warlords of Draenor at launch and subbing back because I have a great guild with fun people and I'm willing to close my eyes on the monthly fee to play with them. But that doesn't mean that I agree with Blizzard's pricing and I'm certainly not going to defend them. I'm just willing to put up with it.

Besides, it's not like Blizzard is the worst offender. Zenimax are far greedier than Blizzard on the MMO front even though they have a worse product. (ESO)

in the end you're agreeing that your $50 is worth their game since you're buying it. to those that dont agree (ie. like me) we dont buy it. in the end it truly is buy what you want or what you think is worth your money.
#42Ivany2008Posted 8/18/2014 12:27:40 AM
Sigh.....do I really have to post this again? Should I just do a sticky next time so people know exactly how much of the 15 dollars is actually making it into the in-game? I feel it has become redundant at this time as I've posted it so many times(probably not the word I'm looking for but you get the picture).....

Ok, so lets break down the 15 dollars into the different sections of Blizzard itself as a business

Running of the building itself
-Generic Bills(Water, Lights, Electricity,Property,Maintenance)
-Cafeteria to feed the Staff
-Paying each member of the staff, of which there aren't just 15 or 20, there are more like 4,000+
Including
-Programmers
-Level Designers
-Story Designers
-Lore Developers
-Generic Concept Designers
-Encounter Designers
-In-House Playtesters
-Leads in each section
-Character Modellers
-Concept Artists
-Staff for Public Interaction(Commercials, Blizzard Store, Web Masters, GMs, etc)
-Orchestra
-Voice Actors, Both In-House and Out-Of-House
-Website Staff
-Janitors
-Cafeteria Staff
-Upper Management
-Maintenance
-Delivery Personal
-Certain companies to sell the box copy of the games they make(like Gamestop)
-Keeping their computers up to date with the latest programs including
-Virus Protection
-Modelling(like Maya or 3ds Max)
-Animation Software
-Photoshop, or some form thereof
-Keeping the computers itself up to date
-Keeping the servers running and up to date
-Blizzcon
-Any other convention they attend, flying their staff to that location for the event and setting up the event
-Development of new material(which therein is covered mostly by paying the staff)

Not to forget that they actually give their staff a decent relaxation room, which probably has dozens of games both video and other, where they can go and unwind which helps the creative process.

There's a bunch of things and people I'm missing out, but you get the picture.

Of the 15 dollars that is obtained per month per person, maybe 25 cents actually makes it back into the game itself. This 15 dollars covers not only World of Warcraft staff, but Starcraft, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, all of which run in a separate area of their building. They aren't like most companies which only run a single title every couple years, but rather keep 4-5 titles running at one time, which costs money.

The 15 dollars doesn't cover just 1 section but rather many. People seem to forget about things like Maintenance and how that is also covered. Their staff chances are aren't getting paid 10 dollars an hour like some people, but more like a flat salary of 30 or 40 grand a year for lower staff and 50-60 for higher staff, before getting into the management staff.

The 40-50 dollars they get for the expansion itself just recoops some of the cost of creating the expansion itself.

They are getting paid well, but they earn their money. They aren't working 40 hour work weeks but some of them even work 70+ work weeks based on how far into the development cycle they are currently in. The closer they get to the deadline the less amount of time they get to themselves, as they have to scramble to get the product finished and shipped.

Please for the love of god don't make me have to post this again, also just in case anyone is curious, I have done bits and pieces of a game development program, which I did a paper on breaking down a companies expenses)
#43Ivany2008Posted 8/18/2014 12:35:12 AM(edited)
sorry for double posting, but I ran out of space in the last post(I'm updating this as I remember more from my paper)

Voice actors themselves cost a lot of money. The reason you don't see much voice acting in other MMOs is because of the cost. A good voice actor out of house can cost a significant amount of money, and that doesn't even include someone who has celebrity status.

Blizzard also has to pay out to what is known as a parent company, now for the past couple years that was Vivendi, now it is Activision Blizzard, ran by resident a-hole Bobby Kotick, which that is a whole nother story
#44RaikouenPosted 8/18/2014 12:31:02 AM
How does Blizzard justify a $50 price tag on the upcoming WoW expansion?

By raising the cost of subscription.
#45jake-sfPosted 8/18/2014 9:40:36 AM
Ivany2008 posted...
[...]

Not to forget that they actually give their staff a decent relaxation room, which probably has dozens of games both video and other, where they can go and unwind which helps the creative process.

Of the 15 dollars that is obtained per month per person, maybe 25 cents actually makes it back into the game itself. This 15 dollars covers not only World of Warcraft staff, but Starcraft, Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm, all of which run in a separate area of their building. They aren't like most companies which only run a single title every couple years, but rather keep 4-5 titles running at one time, which costs money.

Covered by what they're getting paid for each and every game they have. Do you think Hearthstone isn't making far more money than it costs?

You're not THAT dumb, are you?

They make way 60 millions off of WoW subscriptions alone every month.

F2P MMOs exists. No MMOs would remain alive if they were doing negative amounts of money.

The other games makes them a ton of money as well and cost FAR FAR FAR FAR FAR less maintenance than you expect, far less than WoW.

Those games can cover the cost of THEIR ENTIRE TEAM through the sales of THAT GAME ALONE, and FAR more. Of course, they are a lucky company that sells their games like hot bread. Good for them.

You just have no idea how much of a profit they are making, and I mean profit, after expense, after maintenance and after paying their folks.

They could be making money even if they dropped their subs entirely. So dropping the expansions cost? Yeah, thats so small compared to subs, they wouldn't even notice.

So much foolishness.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#46dementedlullabyPosted 8/18/2014 9:45:31 AM
Because you get a "free" level 90. Which makes up for the lack of actual new things.

Can't even get new Blood Elf models out on time.
---
The passion of lovers is for death said she
The passion of lovers is for death
#47SonyHoundDawgPosted 8/18/2014 10:06:00 AM
lazycomplife posted...
Seriously guys, they have about 6.8 million active subscribers right now. That's about $102 million a MONTH that they're making from subscriptions. If Blizzard can't make decent content on top of server maintenance for $102 million per month, then they don't deserve your money at all.

Yeah because companies all over the world just do work for free.

102 mil isn't just pure profit you know, they gotta pay all their overhead, pay employees, building costs, ultilties, health insurance, taxes, etc. Also blizz is part of acitivion so its not like its all blizzards money, you don't know how the company as a whole is run.

I do agree it might be kinda nice if the expacs came with 30 free days of play time too, so you could get a small break the month the expac comes out, but oh well.
#48SonyHoundDawgPosted 8/18/2014 10:09:20 AM
Ivany2008 posted...
Sigh.....do I really have to post this again? Should I just do a sticky next time so people know exactly how much of the 15 dollars is actually making it into the in-game? I feel it has become redundant at this time as I've posted it so many times(probably not the word I'm looking for but you get the picture).....

Ok, so lets break down the 15 dollars into the different sections of Blizzard itself as a business

Running of the building itself
-Generic Bills(Water, Lights, Electricity,Property,Maintenance)
-Cafeteria to feed the Staff
-Paying each member of the staff, of which there aren't just 15 or 20, there are more like 4,000+
Including
-Programmers
-Level Designers
-Story Designers
-Lore Developers
-Generic Concept Designers
-Encounter Designers
-In-House Playtesters
-Leads in each section
-Character Modellers
-Concept Artists
-Staff for Public Interaction(Commercials, Blizzard Store, Web Masters, GMs, etc)
-Orchestra
-Voice Actors, Both In-House and Out-Of-House
-Website Staff
-Janitors
-Cafeteria Staff
-Upper Management
-Maintenance
-Delivery Personal
-Certain companies to sell the box copy of the games they make(like Gamestop)
-Keeping their computers up to date with the latest programs including
-Virus Protection
-Modelling(like Maya or 3ds Max)
-Animation Software
-Photoshop, or some form thereof
-Keeping the computers itself up to date
-Keeping the servers running and up to date
-Blizzcon
-Any other convention they attend, flying their staff to that location for the event and setting up the event
-Development of new material(which therein is covered mostly by paying the staff)

The 15 dollars doesn't cover just 1 section but rather many. People seem to forget about things like Maintenance and how that is also covered. Their staff chances are aren't getting paid 10 dollars an hour like some people, but more like a flat salary of 30 or 40 grand a year for lower staff and 50-60 for higher staff, before getting into the management staff.

The 40-50 dollars they get for the expansion itself just recoops some of the cost of creating the expansion itself.

They are getting paid well, but they earn their money. They aren't working 40 hour work weeks but some of them even work 70+ work weeks based on how far into the development cycle they are currently in. The closer they get to the deadline the less amount of time they get to themselves, as they have to scramble to get the product finished and shipped.

Please for the love of god don't make me have to post this again, also just in case anyone is curious, I have done bits and pieces of a game development program, which I did a paper on breaking down a companies expenses)

You could add stuff to your list, property tax, employment tax, unemployment tax, health insurance costs, dental, optional benefits, and blizz is also in CA so who knows what other crazy taxes they got there. Im sure they must have some company vehicles and things too.
#49KURRUPTORPosted 8/18/2014 10:14:59 AM
To put it simply it's justified because people will pay it.

It's the best most polished mmo out there. You are going to be paying the price premium for it.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#50GarquillPosted 8/18/2014 10:15:13 AM
I'm a subscriber and I love having less annoying people and more nice people as a result of it
and much less kids
---
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein