This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

building cool power efficient computer

• Topic Archived
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. building cool power efficient computer
1 year ago#1
Can someone suggest a really low power energy efficient cool running computer?
It still need to be able to have 4 RAM slots, 1 PCIe for graphic card. When I mean cool, I am not referring to the heat sink or cooler, since I doubt those will keep the overall heat dissipation to my room any cooler.

Also, how well will such a computer run with some of the most beefed up rigs? Such as the i5/i7 4000s. I have one computer that is running with an ancient setup, phenom 2 x3 720. It can get pretty hot in the summer doing basically nothing. Very noticeable when doing any computing heavy task.
1 year ago#2
I've seen a guy make a rig with a 2700k run 77 watts under stress, and had passive cooling. I think he also used a 650ti and the total power draw was under 200. I'm sure it would have been better if the 750ti was out.

If that's what you mean.
Dood... KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
1 year ago#3
Yeah, something like that. Cool running but not weak like a tablet.
1 year ago#4
R.I.P. George Carlin (May 12, 1937 - June 22, 2008)
The greatest comedian to ever grace the stage.
1 year ago#5
If you have the funds you may want to look into an LED type monitor as well. In my case it made a big difference.
1 year ago#6
Great build MrLost, thanks. Will LED monitor really help that much? I got one of those dell 1920x1200 IPS monitor.
1 year ago#7
get the s series intel.

Microcenter has awesome deals on them.
"I am Satan, Lord of Darkness" - Bo Burnham's comedy show, "what." (2013).
1 year ago#8
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
1 year ago#9
I've never played with it personally but with unlocked processors you can underclock/volt them to run pretty much as cool as you want. The S class processors ship that way but you can't undo it to get the performance if you want it later, though they're cheaper so that balances out it I guess.
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
1 year ago#10
Firespark1 posted...
1920x1200 IPS monitor

Dell UltraSharp U2412M? If this is the one you have, I also have the same monitor. Seems to make a big difference, at least to me.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. building cool power efficient computer

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived