This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I want to buy a new pc here soon but...

#1BlindtoDreamPosted 8/17/2014 8:10:38 PM
I have no earthly idea how to even go about shopping for a pc. If it were up to me with the little know how that I have, let me just say it would be a disaster. Obviously, a great deal is welcome, but more so than anything, I want a great computer that will last.

For me personally, I do not care about maxing out graphics settings to insane ends, but if the pc would last me a few years without needing dire upgrades, I would be fine. Graphics never mattered much to me, but I do know that if things are too outdated, then I will run into issues in just a year maybe less probably with the way these things progress.

If anyone would be willing to help me out with getting myself parts that actually work together to make a great pc, I would highly appreciate it.

I am not sure if this matters much, but I would need windows (I am assuming 8 is the go-to now?) I have a mouse and keyboard and my monitor still suits my needs and could be upgraded later.

My price range would be anywhere 800-1000 USD I guess. I am sure I could go higher if I waited just a little longer, which wouldn't be too big of a deal.
---
PSN: BlindtoDream
Xbox Live : Blind to Dream
#2JockoPosted 8/17/2014 9:15:20 PM
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/47hdGX

This is a very good price to performance ratio build. This will last you at least five years if you're ok with turning down the graphical settings here and there over the years but as it stands right now you can keep things pretty high.

I threw in a solid state hard drive to install Windows on to keep it feeling snappy. You had the budget for it.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#3ViciousXl2Posted 8/17/2014 9:22:07 PM
Hey Jocko, you seem to know a lot about this stuff.
Can I add you as a friend, so when the day finally comes (It may be awhile) when I have enough of a budget I can message you for parts?
---
Mac wants the flamethrower!
#4JockoPosted 8/17/2014 9:42:19 PM
I sent you a ViciousXl2 posted...
Hey Jocko, you seem to know a lot about this stuff.
Can I add you as a friend, so when the day finally comes (It may be awhile) when I have enough of a budget I can message you for parts?

Sure thing. I sent you a friends request.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#5ViciousXl2Posted 8/17/2014 9:45:15 PM
Awesome, appreciate it.
---
Mac wants the flamethrower!
#6ViciousXl2Posted 8/17/2014 9:45:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#7BlindtoDream(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 7:36:22 AM
I'm not sure about SSDs or anything. Are they worth getting if it means losing performance in other areas?

Would it be better to use that extra money spent on the SSD to buy better parts in other areas?
---
#8godplaysSNESPosted 8/18/2014 7:48:48 AM(edited)
Sure, you can always add an SSD later on.
RAM is also easy to upgrade later, you can just get two additional sticks and insert them. Same with GPU, just get a new one and replace the old one.

I'd say that's a solid build he's made. If you want to keep using the PC for as long as possible, you could consider moving up to a Core i7 CPU.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!
#9BlindtoDream(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 11:25:55 AM
Is the CPU the only upgrade I would need to have a really solid pc that will last a good while? (Around 3 years maybe?)
---
#10Sora_AnbuPosted 8/20/2014 11:29:13 AM
I've seen builds with 920x still running strong, and those are... What 5 years old?
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack