This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do i find LAN parties? Also, your experiences with LAN parties?

#1BeerOnTapPosted 8/17/2014 9:33:16 PM
I want to take part in some casual, fun LAN parties here in the DC metro area.
I have tried looking but can't narrow anything down.
Is there a site I can use to find a good community that likes to meet and play FPS games?
I did manage to find a group that meets in a comic book shop and plays Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, but I never got around to getting in on that, and who knows if they even do it still. The thought of that seems fun though!
I've never been to a LAN party but I had a friend growing up who used to do it all the time.

What about you guys?
Any fond memories of LAN parties?
Do you currently take part in any today?
#2sauruschamp1Posted 8/18/2014 2:41:27 AM
havent dont it for ages but my experience of lan partys was always just a large group of existing friends and us going to one persons house with pcs and playing diablo 2 untill then next morning (or an entire weekend if paticularly good session). Mind you in my local town there is one group who hire out a big hall and have a massive lan party where they charge people an entrance fee to cover renting the hall etc. And tonnes of people go.
---
Xbox GT: Zarosian 3DS ID: 1848-2118-1570
Origin and SteamID: Zarosio
#3Sora_AnbuPosted 8/18/2014 3:09:27 AM
Used to do it when I lived in the barracks with Diablo 2, CS:S, starcraft and AoE
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#4wormbo2468Posted 8/18/2014 4:49:03 AM
Fun with the right people. Ideally friends. For me, you bring your own desktop or laptop, plus the games. Decide on what games you want to play beforehand. Also bring caffeinated drinks if you're not used to playing for hours. Ideally you want one guy there to have quite a good PC (with an i7 and 16GB+ RAM or something) so that he can host.

I personally hate games like Diablo, but favourites at the LAN parties I've been to include:
- Doom (with custom maps... it's great fun to play each other's WADs)
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 1/2
- Left 4 Dead (Only a good game with friends)
- Team Fortress 2 (Only a good game with friends)

I go perhaps once every 3-6 months or so. Start at about 10am, play through to the small hours with a pizza and cigarette break or two.
---
Desktop: i5 4690k | 16GB | 750Ti | 250GB SSD + 1TB | Corsair 550w
Laptop: i5 3337u | 8GB | HD5000 | 750GB | W8 | iPad Mini 2
#5PsythikPosted 8/18/2014 4:58:06 AM
sauruschamp1 posted...
havent dont it for ages but my experience of lan partys was always just a large group of existing friends and us going to one persons house with pcs and playing diablo 2 untill then next morning (or an entire weekend if paticularly good session).
Reminds me of my LAN party days in high school. StarCraft was our game of choice because it would run on just about any garbage PC, so I would just whip out my old rigs for those who didn't want to haul their machine with them.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#6Greendragon854Posted 8/18/2014 5:18:40 AM
I kinda figured LAN parties died out. How many games even support LAN now? The classics were generally Bliz games, and those are all online now.

I do miss playing Red Alert and Total Annihilation until 6AM though. Awww, nostalgia.
---
"Are you going to buy this time? Or are you still just curious?"
"Well, I supposed you could say I'm Buy-Curious" ~PSN - greeniebeanie
#7LordSeiferPosted 8/18/2014 5:21:20 AM
not really worth it anymore since internet speeds have gotten so much better
---
^ this
#8NhumanConditionPosted 8/18/2014 5:28:19 AM
Be friends with Marty McFly.

Maybe I'm just getting old and crotchety, but It seems kinda pointless in this day and age. Only reason I did it in the day was to have friends around and lagless gameplay... both of which are done over the internet just as well now (minus the physical violence).
#9BeerOnTap(Topic Creator)Posted 8/18/2014 5:50:25 AM
Hmm.. I guess it just seemed like a cool way to meet people with the same hobby.

Games like Counter Strike and TF2 would be fun.

However, I just cannot get into the mouse clicking strategy games. They're just not for me.
#10-5xad0w-Posted 8/18/2014 6:05:45 AM
I've only ever hosted small scale ones with people I already knew.

Age of Mythology and Battlefield 2 were mainstays back when me and at least 4 other friends got together.

That and an industrial sized pot of Rotel dip with beef.
---
"This is a cool way to die!" -Philip J. Fry
KCO222OB|1440 Watts|6 Slice|Timer|Crumb Tray|Is a Toaster Oven