This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

C/D: Joke Steam reviews should be banned

#31JKatarnPosted 8/18/2014 9:02:48 AM
They won't remove them until idiots stop upvoting them... "hur durr..sharks, lasers, I'm crackin' up!"
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#32TheEntitledOnePosted 8/18/2014 9:03:50 AM
Deny. Just because fun is banned on gamefaqs doesn't mean it should be everywhere.
---
I got your number! I got all your numbers!
#33OrgeLambartPosted 8/18/2014 9:12:23 AM
Don't see the big deal, although I suppose if you base your buying decisions on those phony reviews I can understand why you'd be angry.
---
Xboxlive - Orge Lambart , Steam ID - Orge Lambart, PSN - Orgelambart
#34AirTeasePosted 8/18/2014 9:29:06 AM
D, I hate the joke reviews as much as you do but this is just a fad. It'll fade and the only people writing reviews will be those who actually want to write a review.
#35DaedalusExPosted 8/18/2014 9:33:15 AM(edited)
The first couple I read were funny, then I realized there are thousands of these because as per usual the internet doesn't know when to stop telling a joke. I'm just imagining a bunch of overweight, socially awkward losers reading one of these and going "that was funny... I want to be funny too... maybe if I copy this joke people on the internet will like me!"

C
#36temoorashrafPosted 8/18/2014 9:39:36 AM
D

However, like arleas said, there should be a way to separate them.

Maybe make some other category for it. By default show all reviews and people who don't like the joke ones can just select something like "turn off joke reviews".
Maybe even add "only show joke reviews".
---
I'm an alligator, I'm a mama-papa coming for you.
#37Zohar_MetatronPosted 8/18/2014 9:40:49 AM
D. I mean, yeah, the joke structure is "describe a silly thing or situation from the game in a sentence or two tops, give game very high praises," or "describe game as simulator of one thing you do in game," and these wear real thin real fast.

However, you get rid of that and most of the reviews are still either

A. more about the user's PC ("I have this graphics card and it's super-powerful so the game looks okay") then the game, and thus worthless
B. about something related to the game, usually a thing that the reviewer is angry about ("this game has pixel art and I am sick of that" or "this game has a woman and I'm frightened of them"), that does not give any indication of the game's quality, and is thus worthless
C. in agreement with the general consensus about a game, which is agreed upon anywhere from two weeks before launch to fifteen minutes after launch depending on how much marketing there is and cannot be changed ever, and this consensus can be read anywhere and thus having it in several boxes on Steam store pages is worthless, but dissenting opinions from that, positive or negative, are downvoted into invisibility and thus worthless.

Being able to mark reviews as "jokes" or whatnot would just make point C worse, too. The only actual way to fix the system involves punching everyone on Steam until they stop being terrible, and who the hell has time for that?
---
By Grabthar's Hammer, what a savings.
#38FRo3tBLo0dPosted 8/18/2014 10:11:52 AM
Some of them are funny but the review section is meant for just that, reviews, not jokes. Yes, they should be removed.

C
#39dunkisPosted 8/18/2014 10:15:06 AM
D only because I wouldn't rely on Steam reviews before purchasing a game anyway. Some are stupid, but then so are some of the serious reviews.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#40BlueswordsXPosted 8/18/2014 10:22:42 AM
It stops being funny after you see a few, but it might still be funny for new people who never saw them before. No need to selfishly ruin an experience!
---
Touhou is love. Welcome to Gensokyo!