This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do people keep spreading the resolution lie?

#21El MagnificoPosted 8/18/2014 8:14:05 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
JKatarn posted...
I wouldn't count a few people posting here and there on forums as some sizable group, but there are a lot of dim people out there, and they tend to reproduce like rabbits.

That's because for some stupid reason women prefer dumb men and they have more sex and thus more babies.

Idiocracy explains this phenomenon in the opening scene.

#22KillerTrufflePosted 8/18/2014 8:18:28 AM
deadguy8608 posted...
I notice a lot of people keep saying that the human eye can't tell the difference between 720 and 1080. Why?

First, as others have pointed out, no, we really don't say that a lot. You might be spending too much time on the console boards.

Second, it *can* be true, but it depends on the screen size and view distance too, not just pure resolution. It's a lot harder to tell the difference on a 5" cell phone screen, but on a 21" monitor at normal viewing distance, you bet there's a difference.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#23monkmithPosted 8/18/2014 8:20:17 AM
Loshadt posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
They do love to lie. I am not certain if it has gotten worse though because I didn't follow the video game media very closely when I was young.

It has gotten much worse. There's a reason "silky smooth" has become sort of a meme, the other one that always gets me is when people say they can't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps, or that 30fps offers a more cinematic experience, or really anything along the lines of 30fps being somehow acceptable or even preferable in this day and age.

that argument always pisses me off because its normally followed by "and the human eye cant see more then 30 frames per second anyway". unless you're the terminator you're not seeing anything in frames, the eye does not work like a camera.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#24SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 8:24:40 AM(edited)
monkmith posted...
Loshadt posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
They do love to lie. I am not certain if it has gotten worse though because I didn't follow the video game media very closely when I was young.

It has gotten much worse. There's a reason "silky smooth" has become sort of a meme, the other one that always gets me is when people say they can't see a difference between 30fps and 60fps, or that 30fps offers a more cinematic experience, or really anything along the lines of 30fps being somehow acceptable or even preferable in this day and age.

that argument always pisses me off because its normally followed by "and the human eye cant see more then 30 frames per second anyway". unless you're the terminator you're not seeing anything in frames, the eye does not work like a camera.

That argument pretty much always gets the poster on my ignore list. It's obvious they are too stupid to ever contribute anything to a conversation that I would be interested in reading, so better to filter it out.
I am waiting for the day that I open a 50 post topic, and only get one post and 49 ignored posts.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#25ThePCElitistPosted 8/18/2014 8:25:00 AM
If anything misinformation about framerate is much worse. I'm quite tired of seeing comments like "60 fps makes games unrealistic", "60 fps means worse graphics", "60 FPS isn't cinematic and looks like a cheap soap opera", "the human eye can't distinguish 30 fps from 60 fps", etc, etc. Just go look at any of the console boards and watch the absurdity in some of those topics.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#26SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 8:30:45 AM(edited)
ThePCElitist posted...
If anything misinformation about framerate is much worse. I'm quite tired of seeing comments like "60 fps makes games unrealistic", "60 fps means worse graphics", "60 FPS isn't cinematic and looks like a cheap soap opera", "the human eye can't distinguish 30 fps from 60 fps", etc, etc. Just go look at any of the console boards and watch the absurdity in some of those topics.

That one bothers me less because there is at least some science to it. Just look at how many complained about the 48fps hobbit movies. I loved the 48fps but many hated it.
I won't reiterate the science but it is essentially down to how our brains fill in the blanks and what makes something feel more real (maybe not the right word) to us.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#27ThePCElitistPosted 8/18/2014 8:33:22 AM
SinisterSlay posted...
ThePCElitist posted...

That one bothers me less because there is at least some science to it. Just look at how many complained about the 48fps hobbit movies. I loved the 48fps but many hated it.
I won't reiterate the science but it is essentially down to how our brains fill in the blanks and what makes something feel more real (maybe not the right word) to us.

Games aren't movies though. A game will stutter at lower frame rates and make the experience less enjoyable and 60 FPS makes animation much more fluid and realistic. If you tried playing a game at 24 fps (standard movie framerate) it would make you quit the game and uninstall it.
---
When I'm Miq'ote
http://youtu.be/h3LGf9SSWrU
#28SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 8:35:32 AM
ThePCElitist posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
ThePCElitist posted...

Games aren't movies though. A game will stutter at lower frame rates and make the experience less enjoyable and 60 FPS makes animation much more fluid and realistic. If you tried playing a game at 24 fps (standard movie framerate) it would make you quit the game and uninstall it.

I agree, but science, even only slightly related, adds fuel to the arguments fire.

And I do play at 24fps but only because I am cheap :(
One day a game will come out that I can't play but want to play and I will finally need to upgrade.
Playing Skyrim last night and having 4k shadows CTD my game made me want a new system (with apparently more than 3gb of VRAM)
---
#29KURRUPTORPosted 8/18/2014 10:57:09 AM
I've never heard anyone say that. In fact the difference is plain as day if you look at two screens side by side at different resolutions.
---
Drugs are never the answer, unless the question is what isn't the answer.
#30Damaged7Posted 8/18/2014 10:58:31 AM
TC go ask those people then. No one around here i saying that.
---
Bold Text