This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why don't PC gamers want more remastered games but console gamers do?

#1SolnotPosted 8/18/2014 1:58:45 PM
Anyone know why?
#2SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 2:00:11 PM
What's a remastered game?
A game with a higher default resolution?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#3BogePosted 8/18/2014 2:00:56 PM
From my point of view, there aren't really many older PC games that aren't enjoyable anymore. For some reason many older console games feel dated moreso than older PC games. They become intolerable where the older PC games are still good to play. It's probably due to the higher resolution of PC games as well as mouse and keyboard controls.
---
http://penguinpetes.com/gallery/MyWalls/pigeon_chess.png
#4wolfwingPosted 8/18/2014 2:02:19 PM
Probably one of the biggest things is, it's much easier for pc games to still be playable with programs and such, but a game 1-2 generations ago or more that was great, can't really be as easily playable on a new system.
---
PSN wolfwing
#5SinisterSlayPosted 8/18/2014 2:03:30 PM
Is Skyrim with mods a remastered game?

Seriously, what's a remastered game when in the context of a PC game?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6xIndustrialPosted 8/18/2014 2:08:07 PM
Because most console gamers are content to purchase a slightly prettier version of what they've already bought before. I mean they already do it when a new console comes out.
---
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3368/3599120178_c235e462aa.jpg
#7hastergPosted 8/18/2014 2:14:42 PM
Most of the "Remasterted" console games just have graphical improvements that can be done easily through mods.
#8TropicMoon10Posted 8/18/2014 2:19:34 PM
PC versions are always the "definitive" editions; there's nothing to improve about them unless developers rework the game from the ground up (or modders help).

Game fidelity on consoles is usually downgraded because of hardware. And now that a new gen is out with some more powerful specs, devs are using that to re-release previous games at higher details/resolutions/fps/etc.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#9kingoffpsPosted 8/18/2014 2:37:18 PM
I can "remaster" (at least in the way that console developers use the term) my PC games whenever I want. I go Settings -> Display and then click a resolution higher than the current one. Boom! Remastered.

If my GPU is struggling and keeps coughing, then it's time to get a new one. Then ALL of my games remaster their framerates.
---
i7 920, MSI X58 Platinum, 12GB DDR3 PC10700, HIS IceQ 7950, 240GB Agility 3 SSD, Arctic Power 950W PSU
Username was created back when FPS games were cool...
#10clowningPosted 8/18/2014 2:41:01 PM
I assume the answer to the OP is this: older console games cannot be played on newer consoles. They need some changes to enable that, I suppose, and why not pretty them up at the same time?

PC games don't really have that issue. PCs get emulators (like DOSbox) to run the older games.
---
It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. ...one begins to twist facts to suit theories.... Sir Arthur Conan Doyle