This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So, I kinda went into Fallout 3 blind.

#11CaptainKatsuraPosted 8/18/2014 10:54:12 PM
Spam VATS.In every single goddamned fight.
---
Herp-a derp
#12Dante200XPosted 8/18/2014 11:12:45 PM
biohazard1775 posted...
Play New Vegas instead.

Kind of this...but FO3 isn't too bad.

That said, the game is really not that hard. You don't need to buy or make your own guns really, just find something common and repair it as much as you can. After the first few hours which you're past now, the game becomes fairly easy all around.
It is certainly a game you can go into blind and do very well in.
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#13akuma634Posted 8/18/2014 11:48:51 PM
Get some mods on that game, Wanderer's Edition is a bunch of mods in one installation and it enhances the game so much. You can also tweak stuff in the mod like if you want it to be a hardcore survival game where you need to eat and drink (while dealing with radiation,) or you can keep things easy as the original settings are.

As for the game, it's a big open world, just wander around and look for people in need. Questing is where you get the most experience points. One thing that I didn't like with the level design was that you need to use the metro tunnels to get into DC, even if you turn off clipping, there's large land masses that are nothing, just wreckage with invisible walls. I get that DC was hit the hardest in the war, but it's an annoying gameplay choice. You can easily swim to Rivet City if you have plenty of chems to handle your radiation level, usually, I'll start my character with 9 intelligence and just swim to Rivet City for the intelligence bobblehead to get me to 10.
---
I belong to the blank generation - Richard Hell
http://www.last.fm/user/akuma634\
#14Golden_GonadsPosted 8/19/2014 12:21:54 AM
If you make sure you keep your equipment repaired, you can easily complete the game with... Pretty much any weapon there is.
#15YombieePosted 8/19/2014 12:26:43 AM(edited)
When you really get good at how this game engine operates, you will be able to drag around fire extinguisher canisters into chokepoints as traps (they explode), and lure the enemies to your position with silenced guns (the bullet collision draws the enemy), and then utilize the environment as a part of tactics.

Repair skill is invaluable for increasing your damage, weapons which have more of the durability bar filled will do more damage.

It is rarely worth it to have a vendor repair it for you unless it's some rare or hard to find weapon.
#16xIndustrialPosted 8/19/2014 1:00:04 AM
I found Fallout 3 to be fairly easy, but then again I made it through the game with high Agility with good sneak and gun skills using a sniper rifle.
---
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3368/3599120178_c235e462aa.jpg
#17NemerlightPosted 8/19/2014 1:12:37 AM
Get a follower. They help a lot early on. Easiest way to play is go unarmed and get deathclaw gauntlet.
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif
#18SpazH3dPosted 8/19/2014 1:25:45 AM
ravenom_06 posted...
I think I'm sort of Call of Dutying my way through this game

There's your problems. You will only find loot, and good loot, while exploring. The game is only good if you explore. You will eventually have 10k rounds of everything, and 500 stimpacks.

it's impossible for you to screw up your game so you have to restart. The game is way too generous with its level up points and perks. With Fallout 1 and 2 on the other hand, you might have a chance of messing up your build.

To sum it up: Stop walking about blind and open your eyes. LOOT IS EVERYWHERE.

Protip: Level up lockpicking and computers. You wanna get into safes and doors for the sexy loot.
---
- My vision is augmented
#19_GRIM_FANDANGO_Posted 8/19/2014 3:43:14 AM
I actually think that is the best and most fun way to play those games.

I have made the mistake in one elder scrolls game to consult faqs, guides, and build the strongest character I can make.

To me , that almost entirely ruins the game. Gone is the sense of wonder. You know what to expect, you know what will happen. And worst of all, the game is balanced around people just playing the game, not people going for the absolute best gear / stats/ talents.

What happens is that , instead of things being challenging (and therefore, situations being tense and scary, and you actions having real consequences) everything becomes stupidly easy and you only have to look at people and they fall over.

I did that in Skyrim (regretted it). I made a stealthy archer who, using the bonuses from his talents, could pretty much headshot/oneshot everything. Additionally, I had two overpowered minions running around that could pretty much finish 90% of the fights for me without me interfering.
---
I5 3570 | GTX 760 | Kingston V300 120 GB | Corsair VX550 | Asus Xonar DGX | Corsair 300r | AKG k550 | Realforce 87U | Zowie EC1 Evo White