This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is the Aeron chair really worth 800 dollars?

#1Knighted DragonPosted 8/19/2014 10:44:17 AM(edited)
Topic - Results (149 votes)
Yes, I have one and it's great
6.04% (9 votes)
Yes, I've sat in one and really liked it
2.68% (4 votes)
No, it's nice but there are cheaper chairs that are just as good
7.38% (11 votes)
No, I've sat in one / owned one and don't like it
1.34% (2 votes)
I've never sat in one / heard of it
18.12% (27 votes)
No chair is worth 800 dollars, thats insane
64.43% (96 votes)
This poll is now closed.
That's a lot of freaking money for a chair, and I thought paying 200 for mine a few years back was expensive. Every time chair recommendations come up, the Aeron is always spammed like mad, does anyone have it to comment? My current chair was really nice for a while but the cushions died out on me extremely quickly, and the padding on the arm rest turned into nothing within like a week. Now my arm rests are just the frame of the chair, and there is a bolt sticking up in them for some dumb reason.

I'm only 150 pounds, so I don't need a chair built to hold up an elephant, but I do spend a lot of time in my chair so I'd like a comfortable one

Edit: For people who don't know what the chair is

http://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/performance-work-chairs/aeron-chairs.html

It's always highly recommended in office chair topics and general desk chair needs
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#2GoldninjaPosted 8/19/2014 10:45:54 AM
Sounds like you bought a really crappy chair. I got one that was less expensive and it still works well. Though, yeah, it does have some wear. that said, I'd never pay $800 for that chair. that's ridiculous. I can get a really nice recliner for less than that.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#3Edavy89Posted 8/19/2014 10:54:06 AM
i mean, is *that* chair worth $800? looking through everything, yes most likely it is. That being said, I can't imagine ever *needing* a chair worth 800 bucks.
#4DC07301981Posted 8/19/2014 10:58:42 AM
Never even heard of Aeron, let alone spending $800 on a chair. That's a crazy amount of money for a chair.
#5KaiserWarriorPosted 8/19/2014 11:01:50 AM
My previous job had Aeron chairs for all of the software developers. The chairs were damn comfy, and supported me easily back when I was an ultra-fatty clocking in at over 400 pounds, so I can vouch for their quality and comfort.

That being said, I would never drop $800 on a chair. Herman-Miller products are one of those things that, although they are of ultra-high quality, they simply are not priced for consumers.
#6Garage_ManPosted 8/19/2014 11:04:22 AM
I personally do not like them kinda chairs. I like my "executive" style one the best out of any chair I've sat in. 2 years later and you can tell the cheap fake leather isn't well made but it is still worth every bit of $200.

I'll be attempting to do a warranty repair on it and if that doesn't work then I will go buy a new one.
#7BowsaaPosted 8/19/2014 11:07:47 AM
I could never justify dropping that much on a chair; it's just unnecessary. I currently use a wooden swivel chair that my family's had for ages and it's more then comfortable enough to use for hours on end; I even like it more then the char with pads that was at my school, and plan on bringing it with me this year.
---
RENAMON!! *weeping* YOU HAVEN'T BENT ANYONE OVER THE SINK AND SHOVED A "CHECK THE STICKY* UP THEIR ASS IN MONTHS!! *curls into ball crying*- Cither3000
#8r0ge00Posted 8/19/2014 11:12:17 AM
I'm sitting on a Haworth right now at work. It's very solid and extremely comfortable. Is it $1,000+ nice? Maybe. I've been using it for 4 years now and I'd say if you have the money to invest in a nice chair, go for it. It's all part of the experience.
#9Knighted Dragon(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 11:15:23 AM
Goldninja posted...
Sounds like you bought a really crappy chair. I got one that was less expensive and it still works well. Though, yeah, it does have some wear. that said, I'd never pay $800 for that chair. that's ridiculous. I can get a really nice recliner for less than that.

The chair I have is pretty similar to this one

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Osgood-Bonded-Leather-Managers-High-Back-Chair-Black/product_923523

It's still usable, it's just not the greatest thing in the world and I'm pretty disappointed that it went downhill so fast
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#10Mudkip57Posted 8/19/2014 11:32:53 AM
My university has other Herman Miller chairs around the library and coffee shop. They are really nice chairs too, and the nagging thought of whether or not it's suspicious to be carrying a chair around campus always crossed my mind