This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What's the best fabric for a computer chair?

#1Road_Kill_666Posted 8/19/2014 2:48:10 PM
Looking for a new computer chair. Looking for something I won't start sweating like a sauna in.
Something comfy, nothing super tech like speakers built in. Just something for long sessions of use.

I'm guessing leather is out of the question right?

anyone have any recommendations?
#2MyDogSkipPosted 8/19/2014 2:55:43 PM(edited)
I've heard good things about mesh chairs, though I haven't bought one yet. Should be very breathable and won't really lose cushioning ability over time. I have a leather chair that's about two years old and the seat cushioning has completely compacted thanks to my fat ass.
---
Don't trust the smiling penguin!
http://backloggery.com/mydogskip93
#3IzicialPosted 8/19/2014 2:58:56 PM
Plether or really thin leather seats are just as comfortable as regular leather but they generally don't last as long.

Its really more about the coushening itself than the material surrounding it.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#4Nmilek1Posted 8/19/2014 2:59:40 PM(edited)
Probably some type of synthetic or mesh, leather tears and cracks after long periods of use my chair is missing entire patches of leather.
#5KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 2:59:46 PM
Honestly, all mesh is my favorite hands down, for the exact reasons Skip said above. Best breathability, and they maintain their comfort and support over time, as opposed to any type of cushion whose stuffing will compress and end up with a permanent butt print after a couple years (depending on how often you sit in the chair).

I don't have a mesh chair at home, but I have one at work, and it's my favorite chair ever. It's *just* as comfortable today as the day I got it 3 years ago. Absolutely no loss of comfort or support. My leather chair at home, on the other hand, *has* lost a good bit of the cushion support, and the stuffed armrests have compressed as well, making those not as comfortable either. I'd trade my leather chair for mesh in a heartbeat - and probably will get a mesh chair to replace it at some point. It's just impossible to beat the comfort IMO.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#6KidInTheHallPosted 8/19/2014 3:00:38 PM
Mesh , good for the balls.
---
i5-3570k | ASRock Z77 Extreme6 | EVGA 780 Ti Dual Classified | 16GB G.Skill Ares | Samsung 830 128GB | Corsair 600T White | 212 EVO | HX750
#7PraetorXynPosted 8/19/2014 3:01:21 PM
Mesh is supposed to be good, but to get a mesh chair that's worth a damn you basically have to get the best one, which runs about $1000+.

The one I bought for $200 or so had cheap plastic for the arms which broke within a month, so I went to a furniture store and bought an executive leather chair for about $600 that's insanely comfortable, and doesn't have one of those lean back things which I tend to break.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#8KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 3:07:15 PM
PraetorXyn posted...
Mesh is supposed to be good, but to get a mesh chair that's worth a damn you basically have to get the best one, which runs about $1000+.

The one I bought for $200 or so had cheap plastic for the arms which broke within a month, so I went to a furniture store and bought an executive leather chair for about $600 that's insanely comfortable, and doesn't have one of those lean back things which I tend to break.

Try $250-300. :P

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/510830/Realspace-PRO-Quantum-9000-Series-Ergonomic/

I have a chair nearly identical to this at work, and it ran us $250 (could have been a corporate discount tho, I'll admit). Still, even at the current $330 listing, it's nowhere near $1000.

And my chair is still in mint condition. I abuse the armrests quite a bit by leaning a bit too much on them sometimes, getting one stuck a bit under the edge of the desk now and then, etc., and there are no rips, no noticeable scuffs, and absolutely no loss of comfort in the armrests. They're firm, with just enough give to make them comfortable. The back can also lean back quite a ways, letting you lean back comfortably with lumbar support as opposed to slouching and messing up your lower back. You can lock the reclining back to stay upright if you want.

Seriously... you totally do NOT have to pay anywhere close to $1k to get a solid, very comfortable, durable mesh chair.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#9DC07301981Posted 8/19/2014 3:38:41 PM(edited)
I have a leather chair that's been in use for about 10 years. It has the typical wear and tear of something that old but nothing has ever broken on it and it's comfy. I'm about 145 lbs and it was given as a hand me down from family members.
#10Sora_AnbuPosted 8/19/2014 3:37:03 PM
Human skin. Particularly baby. Never felt better.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack