This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Microsoft's Phil Spenser accepts ALS ice bucket challenge

#11KaiSediciusPosted 8/19/2014 3:36:06 PM
Arcadia__person posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
CardigansFan posted...
I'll just leave this here, with so many of my friends doing it...
http://i.imgur.com/Yqlg5CC.jpg

(and yes, I'm aware it raises awareness)

Well, it raises awareness when they actually bother to say something about ALS along with it, which hardly any do. The dumbest part IMO is that it's *either* get ice water dumped on you *or* donate. Everyone's doing the ice water. Thankfully, most of the celebrities doing the ice bucket are also donating anyway, but still.

I just read someplace that over the past couple weeks, the ALS foundation has raised more than $15 million, so the campaign seems to be working regardless...

The bolded part is something a lot of people seem unaware of. I totally agree the campaign seems silly in that dumping water on your head is a way of getting out of donating to charity, but the campaign really has been extremely effective. I've seen a lot of people bashing the campaign that don't seem to appreciate that.

Honestly, $15mil seems small. That's about $13 mil more than last year.
When you consider how many CELEBRITIES donated, and how friggin many "normal" people has uploaded videos, i think this should be higher.
#12DiviDudePosted 8/19/2014 3:37:26 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
Textbook example of first-world idiocy.

Let's not donate to charity, and in the process take perfectly good, clean drinking water that could actually do some good in the poorer parts of the world, and just dump it on the ground.

And people wonder why the rest of the world has such a dim view of us.

Of course, they *do* donate to charity, and the cost of shipping the water to those who need it would cost more than anyone would find reasonable.

But by all means, continue being a cynical ass by trying to put yourself above people working for a good cause whilst doing nothing yourself. Because if there's anything the internet needs, it's more negative a-holes.
#13monkmithPosted 8/19/2014 3:40:44 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
monkmith posted...
it doesn't even hurt to dump ice water on your head.

Some people are more temperature-sensitive than others, and some people actually do experience physical pain from a sudden change in temperature like that. I know - my wife is one of them. Even walking in from hot outside to an air conditioned house is very uncomfortable, and she doesn't like cold air blowing directly on her. I, on the other hand, do great with it, and prefer cold over heat any day.

And the point of this thing isn't to risk hypothermia - I'm not sure how you somehow think that would be preferable to just a bucket of ice water...

not that big of a risk if you are healthy. they have a competition every year in the city i live that does exactly what i suggested, raises money for whatever random charity they feel like sponsoring each year. i've done it twice, its cold as all hell and hurts at first but that goes away after about a minute.
---
build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Baka wa shinanakya naoranai.
#14KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 3:41:54 PM
KaiSedicius posted...
Honestly, $15mil seems small. That's about $13 mil more than last year.
When you consider how many CELEBRITIES donated, and how friggin many "normal" people has uploaded videos, i think this should be higher.

http://fox17online.com/2014/08/17/als-association-surpasses-13m-in-donations-from-ice-bucket-challenge/

"On August 11, the association said they had raised $1.35 million nationally from July 29, compared to $22,000 in the same time period in 2013."

So what you're saying is a donation increase of more than 6000% is not enough of an increase, and it should have been more?

Even if you're more conservative with the newer numbers, $15.6 million from July 29 to August 18, compared with $1.8 million for the same time period last year... that's still like an 800% increase. That's quite a bit, actually...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#15sonicteam2k1Posted 8/19/2014 3:56:50 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
Textbook example of first-world idiocy.

Let's not donate to charity, and in the process take perfectly good, clean drinking water that could actually do some good in the poorer parts of the world, and just dump it on the ground.

And people wonder why the rest of the world has such a dim view of us.

you people need to lighten the F*** up. I've never seen a group a nerds cry over something this minuscule. They're just having fun, donating money and spreading awareness. I used to get gatorade dumped on me at football games as well as our coaches, it's no big deal. go dwell back in your moms basement.
---
See The Game Collection
http://people.ign.com/nights_team2k7/games
#16LordSeiferPosted 8/19/2014 4:01:08 PM
i wonder how much bill gates donated, despite dumping the water on head
---
^ this
#17therickmu25Posted 8/19/2014 4:09:40 PM
The guy that they are doing this for who has ALS, I played against him in college when he was at Boston College for baseball.

Hard to think someone his age could get this horrible disease.
---
PC: http://i.imgur.com/9Ho6VA1.jpg
#18PrincipianPosted 8/23/2014 7:48:33 AM
What started as a noble cause has turned into idiocy with people just doing it as a dare now. I've seen a few "celebrities" perform this challenge and not one has mentioned the ALS foundation.
---
Forever running from Reddit, home of the edgy fedora-wearing atheist teens and Doritos mountain dew championships.
#19Nmilek1Posted 8/23/2014 8:08:51 AM
I dont think you find a bucket big enough to cover Gabe.
#20aak57Posted 8/23/2014 8:20:19 AM
I think raising awareness is the wrong term since everyone knows of ALS, it's more making it the in-thing for a few weeks until everyone stops giving a crap again. Not that that's a bad thing mind you since the charities still end up with money, but I think this is evidenced by the number of people who forget the ALS part in their videos and/or don't actually donate because they beat the challenge, which is completely missing the point.
---
May thine...strength...help the world be mended
http://i.imgur.com/HdBP0.jpg