This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Completely impossible, but I wish there was an RTS which had these 2 elements...

#1jakisthePosted 8/19/2014 3:34:10 PM
1. Some way of having it so your soldiers had to actually return to base/open communications somehow to report what they had seen, else the player would have no way of knowing what they were up against.

2. A tech tree so big that, no matter how much you read up on something online, you still wouldn't be able to predict everything - like real war, where technologies were invented over their course and there was nothing ever written about it.

Like I said, impossible, but it's interesting to think about...oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUOPHqx5Gs
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#2StormKMDPosted 8/19/2014 3:47:14 PM
So you want a RRTS?
---
MSI 660 GeForce 2GB | i5 3570K Phantek PH-TC14PE_BK | AsRock Z77 Pro3 | 1500GBs HDD | Ballistix 8GB | Corsair CX430
http://www.anime-planet.com/users/StormKMD
#3LordSeiferPosted 8/19/2014 3:48:50 PM
the first one already happens, they just have phones so they call it in when they see it
---
^ this
#4KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 3:51:15 PM
LordSeifer posted...
the first one already happens, they just have phones so they call it in when they see it

I figured more radios or other direct communications, but that's pretty much a given implication in any sort of modern warfare. Only place that might not apply would be games like Total War.

The second issue would be a bit more tricky to figure out.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#5IzicialPosted 8/19/2014 3:52:10 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#6KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 3:53:26 PM
Izicial posted...
LordSeifer posted...

I can just see the orc grunts with their cellphones.

Orc Grunt: Hey Thrall....

Thrall: Ya?

Orc Grunt: Soooooooo many humans......

Thrall: S**t.........

Scrying. If you're playing a game involving magic or magical creatures, it's scrying.
---
#7jakisthe(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 4:00:20 PM
Well, let me rephrase it - a scouting system which is more like, say, WW2 technologies. So while you'd have things like forward bases connected for comms, it'd still be very possible for some squad to be wiped out by something and the player to have no idea what it was.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#8geekneck99Posted 8/19/2014 4:25:59 PM(edited)
So basically cranking up the fog of war to 11 and no "eye of God"?
---
If you can read this, you don't need glasses.
#9Davel23Posted 8/19/2014 4:59:43 PM
If I recall correctly Total Annihiliation had, or at least had an option for dynamic fog of war. Once you uncovered a section of the map you'd always be able to see the terrain, but unless you had units in the area you didn't see any enemy actions. Of course it was a futuristic RTS so you can assume your units were relaying intelligence via radio or similar means.
---
Your mom's box.
#10KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 5:13:02 PM
Davel23 posted...
If I recall correctly Total Annihiliation had, or at least had an option for dynamic fog of war. Once you uncovered a section of the map you'd always be able to see the terrain, but unless you had units in the area you didn't see any enemy actions. Of course it was a futuristic RTS so you can assume your units were relaying intelligence via radio or similar means.

It did, and Supreme Commander does it also. Quite a few games do it actually. Along with that, when you have radar installations in games like that, if radar is tracking a unit you've already visually seen, the unit type will be shown even after it leaves visual, unless it leaves radar range and returns. If it's tracking new units you haven't had a visual on, it will only show a generic marker that "something" is within range.
---