This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Completely impossible, but I wish there was an RTS which had these 2 elements...

#11rdking96Posted 8/19/2014 6:13:37 PM
jakisthe posted...
1. Some way of having it so your soldiers had to actually return to base/open communications somehow to report what they had seen, else the player would have no way of knowing what they were up against.

2. A tech tree so big that, no matter how much you read up on something online, you still wouldn't be able to predict everything - like real war, where technologies were invented over their course and there was nothing ever written about it.

Like I said, impossible, but it's interesting to think about...oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUOPHqx5Gs

I nice way to implement #1 would be to go into fights blind. If you're getting overpowered, have your characters flee. If at least one person returns to your base alive they can "report back" the enemy's strengths, levels, weaknesses, etc. That would actually be really cool.
---
i5 4690k | Asus GTX 770 | 8 GB Ballstix | AsRock Z97 Extreme4 |
Steam:The Sticky Emu | 360: The Sticky Emu | PS3/4: Cugabuh
#12KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 6:18:24 PM
rdking96 posted...
jakisthe posted...
1. Some way of having it so your soldiers had to actually return to base/open communications somehow to report what they had seen, else the player would have no way of knowing what they were up against.

2. A tech tree so big that, no matter how much you read up on something online, you still wouldn't be able to predict everything - like real war, where technologies were invented over their course and there was nothing ever written about it.

Like I said, impossible, but it's interesting to think about...oh well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAUOPHqx5Gs

I nice way to implement #1 would be to go into fights blind. If you're getting overpowered, have your characters flee. If at least one person returns to your base alive they can "report back" the enemy's strengths, levels, weaknesses, etc. That would actually be really cool.

I kinda think the only way that would really work well is in multiplayer - having each player controlling squads and having to actually relay information on enemy strength to each other. No automatic shared vision, etc. Maybe requiring allies to set up comm towers or something to be able to share data...

And having that data delayed by a set amount of time would make it a lot more accurate... because word on new developments almost *never* gets to the people who need it until substantially later.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#13IzicialPosted 8/19/2014 6:23:19 PM
It would have to be way more automated for this concept to work though and I think in games like Warcraft and Starcraft people like to be able to control each unit one by one and have micromanaging control over everything.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#141337toothbrushPosted 8/19/2014 6:28:30 PM
For #2, perhaps procedurally generated upgrades would do? Care would need to be taken for balance.
---
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
http://i.imgur.com/2x2gtgP.jpg
#15jakisthe(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 9:57:35 PM
Izicial posted...
It would have to be way more automated for this concept to work though and I think in games like Warcraft and Starcraft people like to be able to control each unit one by one and have micromanaging control over everything.

That's the tough part. How do you micro against something, but then go to a state where you don't know what you micro'd against?

1337toothbrush posted...
For #2, perhaps procedurally generated upgrades would do? Care would need to be taken for balance.

Not just statistical upgrades, ones that could change up the strategy of how you play, like a cloaking upgrade. The enemy would have never seen cloaking, and would have no means of how to counter it...but maybe they could invent an previously unknown radar which diminishes the field. Just as an example...but I just don't see stuff like that being possible.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#16KillerTrufflePosted 8/19/2014 10:21:23 PM
jakisthe posted...
That's the tough part. How do you micro against something, but then go to a state where you don't know what you micro'd against?

This is exactly why I think it would have to be multiplayer only. The only way you can "not know what you micro'd against" is to not have been the one to be in the fight. Of course, players would just use Teamspeak or whatever to bypass whatever mechanics were set up for that...
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#17dennis941012Posted 8/20/2014 1:06:38 AM
if you had skill to create custom game for sc2 it may just happen. . .
---
3DS FC: 5214-9942-1912
#18Cool_Dude667Posted 8/20/2014 3:44:31 AM
dennis941012 posted...
if you had skill to create custom game for sc2 it may just happen. . .

---
Not changing this sig until Christ returns -- Started 30 A.D
3770K @ 4.2Ghz | 16GB Corsair Vengeance | GTX 670 SLi
#19El MagnificoPosted 8/20/2014 7:04:30 AM
jakisthe posted...

In the Earth series games you could create custom units based on different tech researched. The number of tech you can research isn't insanely huge, but you can research different tech and that can be combined in many different ways to create unique units. This makes it difficult to predict what kind of units you'll encounter and what kind of units you should design to properly take advantage of the situation.
#20SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 7:23:11 AM(edited)
El Magnifico posted...
jakisthe posted...

In the Earth series games you could create custom units based on different tech researched. The number of tech you can research isn't insanely huge, but you can research different tech and that can be combined in many different ways to create unique units. This makes it difficult to predict what kind of units you'll encounter and what kind of units you should design to properly take advantage of the situation.

And in both 2150 and 2160 the enemies adapt to your favorite units, so you have to keep changing up. Especially 2160 with the 3 types of armor and weapons.
It went like this
You built massive army using physical defense and weapons.
Attack enemy.
Enemy has physical defense and chemical weapons.
you get roflstomped
You build chemical defense army
attack enemy
you kill enemy
enemy builds energy weapons to counter chemical defense
you build shields
enemy builds physical weapons to counter shield
you build mind control weapons to counter defenses

etc., etc.

Though I loved the earth series, populous the beginning is still my favorite RTS because it kept the units simple, and the control simple. actions per minute were less important because you could let the AI handle some control for you. And the enemy AI could be ruthless. It wasn't really possible to make that perfect defense (unless you cheated and glitched the AI by building on a mountain). If you built 20 guard towers, made them perfectly line up, made 100 preachers and warriors, set up your patrols, did everything to make you impenetrable. The enemy shaman could still just walk in and suicide bomb you by dropping a volcano right on your perfect defense wiping out your whole army in one shot.
Your follower AI was pretty good too. If you placed a building plan they would build it themselves, you didn't have to find a "builder". Your followers would automatically fight in formation, they would auto determine the best way to kill an enemy, they would also auto prioritize enemies. Like if your firewarriors encountered the enemy, they would first target the shaman because she was the most threatening, then the enemy firewarriors and preachers. Your preachers would auto convert unless an enemy preacher was doing the same, then he'd run over and punch him in the face so that your warriors would run over and kill him while he's stunned. Warriors could call for help on their own to summon anyone on patrol to help fight. Even little things like if your guy encounters an enemy near water, he will run up and push him in and drown him instead of trying to punch him to death.
All this AI meant that you could focus on the fun parts of the game.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence