This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Completely impossible, but I wish there was an RTS which had these 2 elements...

#21GarquillPosted 8/20/2014 7:17:04 AM
General Simulator 2015

i'll make it if no one else does
---
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein
#22LvthnPosted 8/20/2014 7:59:20 AM
In this theoretical RTS, do you not control your units directly, or what? The scouting thing would require that you cannot view what your units view and therefore cannot control them either.

Hence it IS completely impossible in RTS, by definition. Making a game like that would turn it into a military strategy sim.
#23IzicialPosted 8/20/2014 8:02:11 AM
Or I guess you could have the base be auto managed and control a band of units to go attacking and only if the units come back within so far of your base could you then control your base again.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#24TwyliteSprinklePosted 8/20/2014 1:38:26 PM
yes please for numero 2
---
TwilightSprinkle<3
http://tinyurl.com/opo43rh
#251337toothbrushPosted 8/20/2014 4:32:51 PM
jakisthe posted...
1337toothbrush posted...
For #2, perhaps procedurally generated upgrades would do? Care would need to be taken for balance.

Not just statistical upgrades, ones that could change up the strategy of how you play, like a cloaking upgrade. The enemy would have never seen cloaking, and would have no means of how to counter it...but maybe they could invent an previously unknown radar which diminishes the field. Just as an example...but I just don't see stuff like that being possible.

I could perhaps see an in-game scripting system making something like that possible. The way it'd be built up would be that you'd have limited memory, processing power, etc. You'd need to mine resources to get upgrades to that, but then you can do anything with the scripting machine provided it lies within the specs.
---
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
http://i.imgur.com/2x2gtgP.jpg
#26Lemur_HPosted 8/20/2014 4:38:53 PM
KillerTruffle posted...
Scrying. If you're playing a game involving magic or magical creatures, it's scrying.

KillerTruffle taught me something today. I'm learnin'!
#27jakisthe(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 9:59:56 PM
Lvthn posted...
In this theoretical RTS, do you not control your units directly, or what? The scouting thing would require that you cannot view what your units view and therefore cannot control them either.

Hence it IS completely impossible in RTS, by definition. Making a game like that would turn it into a military strategy sim.

Yeah, that's the heart of the problem. I recall there being an RTS-esque game on the PS1 (I think), where you didn't actually command the units, but instead built them as robots outfitted to automate certain combat situations...but you're right, that's not really an RTS at that point.

Toothbrush, wouldn't that require a pool of possible things for the script to pull from? In my head, I'm imagining an instance where even just seeing something doesn't clarify exactly what it can do...but that seems beyond the ability of a limited pool.
---
-Why is there yogurt in this cap?!
-It used to be milk, but, well, time makes fools of us all. (cookie for reference)::160 cookies given thus far::
#281337toothbrushPosted 8/21/2014 1:39:48 PM
jakisthe posted...
Lvthn posted...

Yeah, that's the heart of the problem. I recall there being an RTS-esque game on the PS1 (I think), where you didn't actually command the units, but instead built them as robots outfitted to automate certain combat situations...but you're right, that's not really an RTS at that point.

Toothbrush, wouldn't that require a pool of possible things for the script to pull from? In my head, I'm imagining an instance where even just seeing something doesn't clarify exactly what it can do...but that seems beyond the ability of a limited pool.

The scripting language would expose the game-specific API. What you'd essentially be doing is reprogramming the game itself to an extent.
---
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
http://i.imgur.com/2x2gtgP.jpg