This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't Skyrim's cities look as good as Witcher's?

#11GoldninjaPosted 8/19/2014 8:06:28 PM
Haley Joel Osment posted...
Goldninja posted...
Huge cities aren't that great. They get annoying to navigate. It takes forever to get to the stores you want to get to. Most of the NPCs have nothing to say. It's a chore.

Heresy! Everybody knows that bigger is better. That's why Skyrim's world was such a wondrous, exciting place and not at all a boring wasteland full of nothing.

Same with Fallout 3. I like large open worlds. I just wish they'd fill them with something. Even having people wander the paths would be nice.
---
You guys just took a dump on my soul - mastahjebus
#12Allmattered(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 8:18:57 PM
nickizgr8 posted...
Because:

Skyrim released 3 years ago on old consoles.

Ever heard of open world? GTA 4? Assassin's Creed? Hello?
2011 is already a late time for games to be at their peak
#13CatToyPosted 8/19/2014 8:27:43 PM
Allmattered posted...
Ever heard of open world? GTA 4? Assassin's Creed? Hello?

Neither of those games has even remotely as interactive as a world. They don't simulate NPC's on any level, they aren't filled to the brim with objects you can interact with, and they don't have to account for players doing things like dropping 1,000 weapons on the ground for no reason.
---
pon pon way way way ponpon way pon way pon pon, way way ponponpon way way pon way pon way way.
#14Game-XpertPosted 8/19/2014 8:28:29 PM
Solitude layout was just plain awful.
---
3DS/PC/PS3
#15DAP1MP13Posted 8/19/2014 9:13:06 PM
Goldninja posted...
Haley Joel Osment posted...
Goldninja posted...
Huge cities aren't that great. They get annoying to navigate. It takes forever to get to the stores you want to get to. Most of the NPCs have nothing to say. It's a chore.

Heresy! Everybody knows that bigger is better. That's why Skyrim's world was such a wondrous, exciting place and not at all a boring wasteland full of nothing.

Same with Fallout 3. I like large open worlds. I just wish they'd fill them with something. Even having people wander the paths would be nice.

True. Except I think the emptiness of the wasteland was supposed to be like that, or at least it made sense to be like that (to me anyway).
---
NYC. The City never sleeps, it's full of villains and creeps, it's where I learned to do my hustle, had to scuffle with freaks.
PSN/360/Steam ID: DAP1MP13
#16Knighted DragonPosted 8/19/2014 9:20:45 PM
Goldninja posted...

Honestly, this. Same with huge house mods in Skyrim. Giant cities seem cool at first, until you have to navigate them. They quickly become a terrible hassle when you are trying to cross them to get somewhere. MMO's are terrible about that, it takes ten minutes to get across most large MMO cities when you actually know where you are going. Trying to find a specific merchant or NPC in a new city is freaking horrific
---
Matthew 7:21
http://i.imgur.com/heRqmfH.jpg
#17That1GuyyPosted 8/19/2014 9:22:15 PM
There's a balance that needs to be met with size, interactivity, and AI quantity for a world to be immersive. The Witcher having big cities doesn't mean it will be good, but let's defer judgement until the game is out. Skyrim, on the other hand, did not meet anything in that balance for me to have enjoyed the game.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#18SinisterSlayPosted 8/19/2014 9:43:20 PM
Skyrim had to run on 256 mb of ram because that's all the consoles had. Ram limitations of those stupid consoles held back gaming for nearly a decade. Both last gen consoles had ridiculously low ram amounts even for the day. In 2005 pcs had over a gig of ram standard. Consoles had 256 mb.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#19Dante200XPosted 8/19/2014 9:48:36 PM
Loshadt posted...
Because Bethesda is lazy and incompetent and their engine is about as stable as a storm shelter built out of printer paper and scotch tape, so having a lot of NPCs moving about at once would just crash the game into the dirt.

This.
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#20heeeee1eeeeePosted 8/20/2014 2:32:55 AM
Why can't the Witcher be as fun as Skyrim?
---
Who needs a SigNaTuRe!