This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't Skyrim's cities look as good as Witcher's?

#41KaiserWarriorPosted 8/20/2014 8:43:54 AM
TropicMoon10 posted...
I cannot for the life of me get into the combat in Elder Scrolls.

Attacks have no weight to them; there's hardly any indication of whether or not you hit someone so you're constantly just spamming attack and hoping something happens. What makes things worse is that I always prefer melee in action RPGs, and there's nothing redeeming about the swordfighting.

At least I'm not the only one who didn't click with Skyrim. Everybody I know has like hundreds of hours put into it and I just don't get it.

It's all down to personal preference, of course, but I personally tend to go through Bethesda's games sword-and-board style (spellsword-type characters generally, paladin-oriented). Getting a flow going with the various shield and one-hand skills in Skyrim, blocking attacks to throw an enemy off and then power attacking them to knock them further off-balance, it felt plenty weighty to me.

And then there's mods. People like to pretend mods don't exist when talking about Bethesda games, but the fact is that they're one of a tiny, tiny handful of developers that still make games with built-in, extensive modding support. They make a game to appeal to as broad an audience as they feel comfortable going for without completely compromising the vision, and leave in all the tools and infrastructure you need to mod the game and dial it down to your exact preference. Want weightier combat with more emphasis on stamina management and larger meaning for each individual hit? There's a mod for that. Don't want that sort of gameplay? Don't mod for it. Want that gameplay but with a few specifics tweaked a little further, balanced for your tastes? Make your own custom mods to the original mod to make it your own.

People should be supporting this sort of freedom and open-ness in games, but instead they just lambast Bethesda for not making the game to their specific taste on the first go. Bethesda provides a template that they feel is a decent balance for everyone, and says "If you'd prefer it to be tweaked in this direction or that, have at it!"
#42Bazooka_PenguinPosted 8/20/2014 8:45:59 AM
jedinat posted...
The comparison is only relevant if you can go into/interact with every building and door in Witcher's city.

Nah

If you can just go in as many houses as Skyrim the comparison is still valid. Even if some of the houses are just for show it's fine, since the problem with Skyrim's cities is that they have nothing to show.
---
Deth Pen
http://i.imgur.com/eMXgU.gif
#43foodeater4Posted 8/20/2014 8:49:07 AM
Cities in all these games are awful. Everytime you have to go into a door, LOADING. Yes with your PC the load time can be very short, but still annoying. THey want to improve the next Elder Scrolls game, I'm happy loading into a city, but after that no more load screens, let me walk into any building without loading.
#44TropicMoon10Posted 8/20/2014 8:50:03 AM
KaiserWarrior posted...
It's all down to personal preference, of course, but I personally tend to go through Bethesda's games sword-and-board style (spellsword-type characters generally, paladin-oriented). Getting a flow going with the various shield and one-hand skills in Skyrim, blocking attacks to throw an enemy off and then power attacking them to knock them further off-balance, it felt plenty weighty to me.

And then there's mods. People like to pretend mods don't exist when talking about Bethesda games, but the fact is that they're one of a tiny, tiny handful of developers that still make games with built-in, extensive modding support. They make a game to appeal to as broad an audience as they feel comfortable going for without completely compromising the vision, and leave in all the tools and infrastructure you need to mod the game and dial it down to your exact preference. Want weightier combat with more emphasis on stamina management and larger meaning for each individual hit? There's a mod for that. Don't want that sort of gameplay? Don't mod for it. Want that gameplay but with a few specifics tweaked a little further, balanced for your tastes? Make your own custom mods to the original mod to make it your own.

People should be supporting this sort of freedom and open-ness in games, but instead they just lambast Bethesda for not making the game to their specific taste on the first go. Bethesda provides a template that they feel is a decent balance for everyone, and says "If you'd prefer it to be tweaked in this direction or that, have at it!"

Something about Bethesda's game engines really turn me off. I felt the same way with both recent Fallouts. I gave 3 and NV several hours - I really wanted to give them a chance - but something about the way they look and feel is blech. I guess they just aren't the developer for me.
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#45jake-sfPosted 8/20/2014 8:51:04 AM
KaiserWarrior posted...

-snip-

But the combat in Skyrim is broken to the core. No mods have fixed it.

Its insane how few people understand what makes good combat if they think Skyrim is redeemable through mods. The same thing with Oblivion. I tried modding the crap out of it but boy it was no use.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#46blax34dmPosted 8/20/2014 8:52:55 AM
Because skyrim came out in 2011.

Also anyone arguing that TW2's combat was in any sense good is kidding them self- it was absolutely terrible.

I'm no big Bethesda fan but I am definitely hoping TES6 comes out pushing the boundaries of world scale. They went for pure quantity with skyrim, and the end product was impressive but felt emptier the longer you played it.

TES6: triple the world size and make it dense with interesting stuff, take on From Software's level design standard in the dungeons-no more copy/paste a to b garbage, and bring the gameplay to a souls/dragon's dogma level with non-scaling enemies/bosses/non-artificial challenge.

Nail those 3 points and bam best open world game ever.
#47AxtlarPosted 8/20/2014 8:55:29 AM
Pretty sure Vivec and the Imperial City were bigger and better than any place in Skyrim.
---
PM for 3DS code/Steam ID. http://tinyurl.com/kcqajde
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APWTJMyM4qg
#48Dante200XPosted 8/20/2014 10:09:34 AM
foodeater4 posted...
Cities in all these games are awful. Everytime you have to go into a door, LOADING.

You haven't played Witcher 2 have you?
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#49xanadooPosted 8/20/2014 11:55:42 AM
ITT: many people who don't understand game design and the concept of tradeoffs
#50myztikricePosted 8/20/2014 12:04:31 PM
TES is like the only series that has absolutely no hit indicators.
---
Why are you always smiling?
'Cause it's all so f***in' hysterical.