This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why can't Skyrim's cities look as good as Witcher's?

#51IzicialPosted 8/20/2014 1:11:00 PM
Knighted Dragon posted...
Goldninja posted...
Huge cities aren't that great. They get annoying to navigate. It takes forever to get to the stores you want to get to. Most of the NPCs have nothing to say. It's a chore.

Honestly, this. Same with huge house mods in Skyrim. Giant cities seem cool at first, until you have to navigate them. They quickly become a terrible hassle when you are trying to cross them to get somewhere. MMO's are terrible about that, it takes ten minutes to get across most large MMO cities when you actually know where you are going. Trying to find a specific merchant or NPC in a new city is freaking horrific

I assume you have never played one MMO because even going from the top or Orgrimar to the bottom doesn't take anywhere near 10 min and that's walking.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#52TheCommunatorPosted 8/20/2014 1:39:25 PM
That's what happens when you cater to the lowest common denominator
#53Bane766Posted 8/20/2014 1:40:08 PM
Izicial posted...
Goldninja posted...
Huge cities aren't that great. They get annoying to navigate. It takes forever to get to the stores you want to get to. Most of the NPCs have nothing to say. It's a chore.

Honestly, this. Same with huge house mods in Skyrim. Giant cities seem cool at first, until you have to navigate them. They quickly become a terrible hassle when you are trying to cross them to get somewhere. MMO's are terrible about that, it takes ten minutes to get across most large MMO cities when you actually know where you are going. Trying to find a specific merchant or NPC in a new city is freaking horrific

I assume you have never played one MMO because even going from the top or Orgrimar to the bottom doesn't take anywhere near 10 min and that's walking.

This person's point is still valid. Huge cities are a pain if you are looking for something. You ever get to Org as a newbie and try to find something? Big PITA. Sure they have npcs that mark it on your map, but with multiple levels it's annoying as hell finding anything.

Also, as others have stated, the Witcher games don't have the interactiveness of ES games. You can't go into each individual house and mess with damn near everything inside it-ie knock weapons down, pull books off shelves, move food around on the tables, etc.

However, I will say other than the QTE's (which I hate and there were too damn many of), I did enjoy TW2's combat more than Skyrim's. I liked Skyrim's more explorable world better...but in the end TW2 had a better storyline. Which game did I play more tho? Skyrim by far.
---
MSI GT60 15.6" : I7-3630QM, GTX680M/4GB GDDR5, 12GBDDRIII, 750GB/HD
Douleur Peur Mort
#54heeeee1eeeeePosted 8/20/2014 8:34:18 PM
Mackorov posted...
heeeee1eeeee posted...
Why can't the Witcher be as fun as Skyrim?

Skyrim? Fun? Which part? The plastic combat? Doing the repetitive quests?

Have you ever played the Witcher? Skyrim combat is passable, it's not great but it's not bad. Witcher combat is flat out terrible and makes the game almost unplayable

I could beat the Witcher with my eyes closed by mashing left click and casting quen.
---
Who needs a SigNaTuRe!
#55ClouddxPosted 8/20/2014 9:34:13 PM(edited)
heeeee1eeeee posted...
Mackorov posted...
heeeee1eeeee posted...
Why can't the Witcher be as fun as Skyrim?

Skyrim? Fun? Which part? The plastic combat? Doing the repetitive quests?

Have you ever played the Witcher? Skyrim combat is passable, it's not great but it's not bad. Witcher combat is flat out terrible and makes the game almost unplayable

I could beat the Witcher with my eyes closed by mashing left click and casting quen.

And Skyrim is different? Mash Left click, press right click to heal. Rinse and repeat.

I don't understand how you can think The Witchers combat is terrible and then say Skyrims is passable.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12 GB G.Skill Sniper Ram // PS3 // 360
FiiO e9+17 // AD700 + M50 // Deck Legend + 82 // DAS Ultimate S
#56That1GuyyPosted 8/20/2014 9:52:16 PM
Bane766 posted...
You can't go into each individual house and mess with damn near everything inside it-ie knock weapons down, pull books off shelves, move food around on the tables, etc.

Some people might enjoy this sort of thing, but I just think of it as a waste of time. I want interactivity that matters, and that isn't it. I would choose a large world with less interactions (but all are meaningful) than a smaller world with more interactions (but most are meaningless).

But The Witcher 3 having big cities doesn't automatically mean it's going to be enjoyable, of course. I personally didn't get into the first Witcher because the gameplay did not connect with me at all. I at least got somewhere in Skyrim before getting bored and trying to mod it and getting bored again.
---
Perfection. Where everyone fails.
If you expect nothing you can be happy for everything.
#57SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 6:37:34 AM(edited)
I just wish Skyrim had more non combat options. I want to be able to enter a bandit camp outside a Nord dungeon and pay them for safe passage rather than killing them all. Maybe I could smith some stuff for them, or give them sexual favors, whatever. Just anything but having to mindlessly kill them.

But hey, apparently Skyrim, and Sovnengard are ok with the dragonborn wiping out more than 75% of Skyrims population leaving only the 10 or so NPC's in each town still alive.
And maybe there is so many bandits because the Jarls refuse to build more houses for people, meaning almost everyone in Skyrim is homeless.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#58steamwr4pPosted 8/21/2014 6:45:24 AM
Baldurs Gate have the most impressive cities. You can spend 20 hours in BG.
---
I didn't know why the ball was getting bigger.
Then it hit me.
#59NingishzidaPosted 8/21/2014 9:20:39 AM
steamwr4p posted...
Baldurs Gate have the most impressive cities. You can spend 20 hours in BG.

And that's just trying to find the doors to the buildings...
#60JKatarnPosted 8/21/2014 9:21:59 AM
Wait, you mean to tell me that 3 year old tech doesn't measure up to a as-yet-to-be-released supposedly "state-of-the-art" (graphically anyway) game?!?! Shocking!
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES