This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

question for people who are tech savvy

#1chobit_A5HL3YPosted 8/19/2014 8:44:37 PM
i was looking at getting a gaming pc but don't know nearly enough to make my own, and i'm too lazy to learn, tbh. i was looking into places i could get one from and i found ironside. how does this desktop look overall:

http://www.ironsidecomputers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28223_28241&products_id=313

i'm not really going for super top of the line, just something that can play the majority of games at a respectable setting. i'm mostly going to be playing games like the sims 4(and 3), league of legends, minecraft, and.. well, most of my games are pretty old since i game on a laptop now... i never really got any game that were that demanding because i could never run them~ would the desktop that i listed be ok for a while? thanks!
---
o3o
PSN: chobit_A5HL3Y
#2Blobs_Posted 8/19/2014 9:02:18 PM
If you don't change anything that desktop will be MORE than enough to run all of the game you've listed. Way more.

If you're only looking to game casually, and/or with games that don't have really good graphics, you probably shouldn't pay that much for a PC. You could get a PC that would run all of those games fine for much less, especially if you build it yourself.
---
is haha
#3Sora_AnbuPosted 8/19/2014 9:05:46 PM(edited)
... About $700 over priced.

Correction 600
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#4Garage_ManPosted 8/19/2014 9:05:14 PM
Might wanna head over to NeoGAF and find The Sims 4 OT...it's not looking so hot right now.
#5chobit_A5HL3Y(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 9:25:18 PM(edited)
could that pc run skyrim with good mods? the games i listed are only games that i have now~ i want to play more demanding games but i'd want a pc that can run them. i'm too used to my laptop where everything is on pretty much the lowest settings all the time...

i was also wondering what the difference between "normal" ram and the corsair vengeance was. is it just a brand name or does it improve the performance?
---
o3o
#6rainedownPosted 8/19/2014 9:29:29 PM
Http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/saved/1GAFVN

That would perform better and be cheaper than that PC (if that link works lol). Hard to use that site from my phone. Also has a 256gb ssd as opposed to the 128.

Don't worry about what people say about the price. People will compare it to building it yourself, which is quite a bit cheaper. I'd always build yourself if it's an option, but if not, it's all about picking the right parts.

Your site (or other ones) might have something similar for cheaper, but it'll give you the general idea.
#7Blobs_Posted 8/19/2014 9:34:33 PM
Usually the thing you pay for when you pay for good ram is stability. When it comes to gaming, ram is kind of a "you have it or you don't" thing, having any more ram than say... 8gb will give you very a very small performance increase.

The difference in performance between really expensive ram and your average ram is negligible, especially when it comes to gaming. What you're paying for is less chance of it to go bad.
---
is haha
#8chobit_A5HL3Y(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 9:36:35 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#9chobit_A5HL3Y(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 9:38:11 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#10chobit_A5HL3Y(Topic Creator)Posted 8/19/2014 9:44:13 PM(edited)
i chose ironside 'cause i've heard good things about it, so i trust them based on recommendation. that other site is overwhelming and confuses me, tbh lolz i have a general idea of what's considered "good", but i remembered reading that putting all the highest performance stuff together doesn't always make the best running pc. one of the major reasons why i just want a pre-built one is because i don't want to worry abou choosing wrong parts and then not knowing what's causing things to go wrong. i just want a good pc that i can use right away and have it be relatively optimized for what i wanna do with it~

Blobs_ posted...
Usually the thing you pay for when you pay for good ram is stability. When it comes to gaming, ram is kind of a "you have it or you don't" thing, having any more ram than say... 8gb will give you very a very small performance increase.

The difference in performance between really expensive ram and your average ram is negligible, especially when it comes to gaming. What you're paying for is less chance of it to go bad.

so does that mean the corsair brand is more reliable than the stock stuff?

i was also wondering what everyone's opinion was on amd vs intel for gaming.
---
o3o