This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Giving adventure genre another chance, need suggestions(please read intro post.)

#31Superrpgman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 2:08:58 PM
Hi C: Wow...Syberia...

Once again, please don't take this personally. It's just my thoughts on a game.

This is another of my girlfriends favorites actually. And another game that I can't stand.

Once again the vocal performances completely destroy the game for me, although to be fair, the way the characters are written come off as painfully cheesy. And on top of that, I find them to be really really boring. It's an example of a game where I really couldn't think of anything that I liked.

Freelance_Wolf: I'm playing it right now actually, and I'm currenly looking for something to like about the game. The main character so far is...ok I guess. I'm gonna give the game till the end of the first chapter, and if I can't think of something that I think is more than decent, I'm giving up on the game. Seriously, I can understand a game wanting to build things up, but it feels like the game is just doing a passable job, and I'm not gonna stick around just to hope that it gets better.

Plus, I keep finding more and more not to like about the game, such as how completely forgettable the music is. Yeah, decent music is something that I need to be drawn in. Along with how uninteresting the main characters observations are. Seriously, I'm going around looking at a lot of objects. I need the main character to say interesting things for this not to be monotonous.

Right now, I'm pretty much forcing myself to play it.

KillerTruffle: Oh sorry. I've looked a lot into the longest journey. In fact, so much that I've spoiled the entire game for myself. it's really interesting stuff, but since I know the whole story I'm not gonna play it. Yeah, I know, I dropped the ball on myself by looking into it years before I even played through an adventure game.
---
http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MorteTorment
A choice of playstyle without balance is no choice at all.
#32Superrpgman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 2:13:13 PM(edited)
ChromaticAngel posted...
quality of the voice acting is a little spotty.

First of all, something about the concept of the game makes me want to avoid it. I can't explain it, sorry.

Second of all, yeah, good voice acting is something I need to be drawn in right now, sorry.

Thanks for the recommendation though.
---
#33Superrpgman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 3:33:24 PM
Actually, screw what I said. I'm being a paranoid nut.

I'll give the game a chance Chromatic. Thanks.

Oh, and Freelance Wolf, the guy pickeed up quite a bit once the main characters started doing magic tricks. In the middle of chapter 2 now. Thanks.
---
#34MarceloSampaioPosted 8/20/2014 3:33:30 PM
Superrpgman posted...
ChromaticAngel posted...
quality of the voice acting is a little spotty.

First of all, something about the concept of the game makes me want to avoid it. I can't explain it, sorry.

Second of all, yeah, good voice acting is something I need to be drawn in right now, sorry.

Thanks for the recommendation though.

To be honest, however, its VERY hard to find good voice acting in adventure games, specially nowdays. I don't know why, but I never heard a Soul Reaver quality voice acting in a adventure game.

The Broken Sword games have some good acting, but they are not what you are expecting right now. Even the recent Broken Sword 5 feels a bit too classic (not a bad thing IMHO, but not what you want at the moment).

But hey, have you tried L.A. Noire? It may not be a real point-and-click adventure, but it has a good deal of adventure elements, and one of the best voice acting job in recent years. Another one is ENSLAVEDô: Odyssey to the West. Also has an AMAZING voice work. Who knows, you may end up having fun. ^^

While the adventure genre is actually my favorite, I don't think I'll be the best person to recommend you some games. My opinions WILL be quite biassed, thats for sure. Hell, I'm actually playing Return to Mysterious Island, and am having a LOT of fun! :p
---
If you believe in Marona as your Loli and Savior and you're not ashamed, put this in your signature. :3
http://i.imgur.com/GV8UFZR.png
#35Superrpgman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 3:59:48 PM
MarceloSampaio posted...
To be honest, however, its VERY hard to find good voice acting in adventure games, specially nowdays. I don't know why, but I never heard a Soul Reaver quality voice acting in a adventure game.

The Broken Sword games have some good acting, but they are not what you are expecting right now. Even the recent Broken Sword 5 feels a bit too classic (not a bad thing IMHO, but not what you want at the moment).

But hey, have you tried L.A. Noire? It may not be a real point-and-click adventure, but it has a good deal of adventure elements, and one of the best voice acting job in recent years. Another one is ENSLAVEDô: Odyssey to the West. Also has an AMAZING voice work. Who knows, you may end up having fun. ^^

While the adventure genre is actually my favorite, I don't think I'll be the best person to recommend you some games. My opinions WILL be quite biassed, thats for sure. Hell, I'm actually playing Return to Mysterious Island, and am having a LOT of fun! :p

I'm being ridiculously over picky here. What I really mean is just simply a competent voice cast.

and I'm really regret responding to everyone's post now. I think I'm stuck in the "if he doesn't like this, it means that we probably won't like these several dozen games(and I probably would have actually liked a dozen of the several dozen games.)" game now.

Oh, and absolutely looooooooooove L.A. Noire. Enslaved has been on my to play list for a while.

If anything, can I get out of that with you? Maybe just recommend some non comedies that are fully voiced.
---
#36Freelance_WolfPosted 8/20/2014 5:25:37 PM(edited)
MarceloSampaio posted...

To be honest, however, its VERY hard to find good voice acting in adventure games, specially nowdays.

I've found all of LA's adventure games to have excellent voice acting, since they have the funds to hire actual voice actors. Bill Farmer (official voice of Goofy and I think Pluto) voiced Sam from Hit the Road, and I think he did the best Sam voice between the two games and the TV show.

I agree that it's hard to find good voice acting in today's adventure games though.

@Superrpgman, good to see that you're enjoying the game more. If you like it, you really should check out the Gabriel Knight trilogy. Jane Jensen did a better job here.
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."
#37Freelance_WolfPosted 8/20/2014 5:22:23 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#38JohnnyKoochPosted 8/20/2014 6:28:24 PM
Honestly your standards are really crippling you, especially in a genre that mostly thrived pre-2006 with 2D visuals.

Broken Sword.
That series is the best for me.
Mostly the first two.

However, ignore my post because it doesn't not fit your extreme criteria.
#39Superrpgman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 6:40:30 PM(edited)
Freelance_Wolf: what is the LA that you're referring to? Edit: and yeah, the game keeps getting more and more interesting, and more importantly the pace picked up quite a bit. In episode 3 of it now.

JohnnyKooch: THat's a bit pessimistic of you. You might wanna check out my replies here.

And yeah, played some of the first broken sword. I remember thinking about how much more interesting the girl was, and how I wished that the story was more about her. The game was ok, and I'll probably go back to it one day.

Oh, and the voice acting was pretty good too.
---
#40Freelance_WolfPosted 8/20/2014 8:54:59 PM
Superrpgman posted...
Freelance_Wolf: what is the LA that you're referring to?

LucasArts
---
Max: "I think he just needs a hug, or a sharp blow to the head."