This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Quick questsion about ping in online games (using cross-over cable)

#1lovemehatePosted 8/20/2014 11:37:36 AM(edited)
I have been using a cross-over cable for my lap to to my desktop (I have no wireless adapter) sometimes its okay, but during most of the day? Its impossible to play online games like Guild wars 2, (I tested the game on my lap and desktop) and regardless of receiving a decent signal , It's just not cutting it...

downloads and everything else are okay on the desktop.

so am guess its just that kind of connection that is no-good for online gaming, so my question is:

should I invest in a usb wireless adapter?

your thinking...they are so cheap, why not??

well am traveling, am currently in the state of Mexico, and even off-brand made in china electrics cost more than name-brand products so its not such a simple little purchase here....

and I do not think there is a word in Spanish for "Refund"

(that last bit is sarcastic...but they really don't do that here)

I guess, from someone experience would a usb adapter give the connection I need to play online game decently ?
#2WyzeGyePosted 8/20/2014 12:51:06 PM
I've used wireless exclusively for over a year.

There's bad days, there's good days. Seems like there's more bad than good, but it's good enough.

I wouldn't recommend it as a permanent solution, but you're traveling so it doesn't leave you many options
---
http://puu.sh/8IK8Q/8e25ebacb7.jpg - - http://steamsignature.com/profile/english/76561198039262606.png
Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinions of sheep.
#3SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 12:55:48 PM
What about it was impossible? I don't see how wireless would be faster than wired.
Is your laptop adding an extra NAT layer that is screwing up games?
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#4lovemehate(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 12:58:36 PM
oh no, the desktop is not wired to the router, its using a cross-over cable from lap to desktop.
I just tested guildwars 2 on my lap with no lag, on my desktop? could not get more then 3 mins of game time before I get lagged out

my question is how good are cheaper wireless adapters usb, 300mb or w/e am guessing. cause if i buy one? I cannot return it and they are pricy here
#5SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 1:00:39 PM
lovemehate posted...
oh no, the desktop is not wired to the router, its using a cross-over cable from lap to desktop.
I just tested guildwars 2 on my lap with no lag, on my desktop? could not get more then 3 mins of game time before I get lagged out

my question is how good are cheaper wireless adapters usb, 300mb or w/e am guessing. cause if i buy one? I cannot return it and they are pricy here

I am confused by your setup.

So you have a wireless router, your laptop is wireless and you are connected to the wired port on your laptop? And you are asking if you can use a wireless USB adapter to connect to your router?

They are decent, but an actual wireless card is cheaper and works better. I picked up an N wireless card back when N was new for only 30 bucks.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#6lovemehate(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 1:03:00 PM
exactly! router ->wireless -> laptop -> cross-over cable - > desktop

so you would go with a PCI slotted wireless for my desktop? wont make it too hard to move around for a better signal? where my lap is (about 1ft above my desktop) am getting 80% signal
#7SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 1:05:18 PM
lovemehate posted...
exactly! router ->wireless -> laptop -> cross-over cable - > desktop

so you would go with a PCI slotted wireless for my desktop? wont make it too hard to move around for a better signal? where my lap is (about 1ft above my desktop) am getting 80% signal

Well the one I had was a triple antenna and through 4 floors managed 70% signal, which at N speeds was way more than what the WAN provided.
---
#8lovemehate(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 1:16:31 PM
ill look for something similar ill be going back to Dallas in October and well I can buy something awesome for the same price as something crappy here......but thanks for sharing your experience ill look for a N one,
#9SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 1:16:58 PM
lovemehate posted...
ill look for something similar ill be going back to Dallas in October and well I can buy something awesome for the same price as something crappy here......but thanks for sharing your experience ill look for a N one,

I think AC is the latest standard.
---
#10lovemehate(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 1:21:10 PM
I think the one built into my lap is B , but I have been trying to read about it....pretty annoying :p