This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is Norton a decent antivirus?

#1slyman19Posted 8/20/2014 8:37:20 PM
I can get it free through my ISP. Is it a good choice or should I pick something else?
#2wizardmonPosted 8/20/2014 8:44:18 PM(edited)
No, it's not really that good.

Honestly, the best antivirus is common sense as well as not browsing to strange sites without adblock turned on/Java turned off, and not installing strange programs "Why did you install 'Screensaver.exe' WHY?".

Along with common sense I'd suggest Malware-Bytes for being lightweight without any BS crap going on in the background. Although the live protection pro provides is actually kinda neat, it gives you a bit of software powered 'common sense' by just flat out blocking you from going to strange websites.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#3slyman19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/20/2014 8:46:11 PM
Okay. I'll probably just get Malware-Bytes then.
#4ThisGuy101Posted 8/20/2014 8:46:57 PM
Get AVG free as well.

But not AVG PC Tuneup.
---
AMD FX-6300 | Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ | Kingston HyperX 8GB DDR3-1600 | MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR
My first gaming rig
#5Orestes417Posted 8/20/2014 8:50:09 PM
These days Norton is pretty solid, although some folks seem to have their heads firmly implanted in 2003s ass.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#6phantasyPosted 8/20/2014 8:50:26 PM
honestly if you can get it for free why not use it? they have gotten better lately than from previous years.

I treat anti virus like I treat insurance, sure you won't need it but once you do need it, you be glad you have it.
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#7wizardmonPosted 8/20/2014 8:53:56 PM
[This message was deleted at the request of the original poster]
#8Sora_AnbuPosted 8/20/2014 9:09:13 PM
What's an anti virus?

/rud3b0y or whatever his name is.

But I use panda once a month and maleware bytes... Whenever I'm bored.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#9SinisterSlayPosted 8/20/2014 9:12:37 PM
If your getting it for free, then go for it. It's still better than the other free scanners.
Still get malwarebytes though as it's handy if you do get infected.

And if you want extra protection, get a sandbox program like sandboxie and run your browser inside that. This gives 99.999% protection from viruses as even viruses cant escape the sandbox yet. They probably will eventually, but so far don't.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#10mikewu1Posted 8/20/2014 9:32:45 PM
Norton is pretty good now a days.