This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly is Linux useful for?

#11Digital StormPosted 8/21/2014 12:31:41 PM
I_Heart_Eevee posted...
are more secure

That's debatable. The majority of *nix boxes I come across are generally outdated, unpatched, and running incorrectly.
---
Ooo eee, oo ah ah, ting tang, walla walla bing bang.
#12KaiserWarriorPosted 8/21/2014 12:35:55 PM
Digital Storm posted...
I_Heart_Eevee posted...
are more secure

That's debatable. The majority of *nix boxes I come across are generally outdated, unpatched, and running incorrectly.

Yep. Security Through Obscurity: the worst of all possible security options. Relying on the fact that most malware authors don't care about *nix to keep your system secure.

Windows running as a non-privileged user with up-to-date patches and a reasonable security suite is as secure as any home computing setup needs to be.
#13SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 12:36:54 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
Digital Storm posted...
I_Heart_Eevee posted...
are more secure

Yep. Security Through Obscurity: the worst of all possible security options. Relying on the fact that most malware authors don't care about *nix to keep your system secure.

Windows running as a non-privileged user with up-to-date patches and a reasonable security suite is as secure as any home computing setup needs to be.

I'd say it's second worst.
Running windows and using internet explorer and not having a virus scanner is the worst by a long shot.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14Orestes417Posted 8/21/2014 12:39:38 PM
Not security through obscurity, more like assumed security. There's nothing remotely obscure about *nix. people have been owning poorly admin'd *nix boxes since before the days when NT was a cheap knockoff of VMS. Even now a quietly rooted *nix box is half a billion times more desirable than a hacked Windows system.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#15mrCubePosted 8/21/2014 1:07:09 PM
KaiserWarrior posted...
Will never be mainstream because the average PC consumer has no need or desire to waste tons of time on compiling and dependencies.

Have you used Linux before? You have literally no need to compile anything yourself, and almost every package manager out there handles dependencies a billion times better than Windows. I pray for the day when Windows's package management is as easy to deal with as pacman or apt
---
---
#16SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:09:22 PM
mrCube posted...
KaiserWarrior posted...
Will never be mainstream because the average PC consumer has no need or desire to waste tons of time on compiling and dependencies.

Have you used Linux before? You have literally no need to compile anything yourself, and almost every package manager out there handles dependencies a billion times better than Windows. I pray for the day when Windows's package management is as easy to deal with as pacman or apt

I'd give you examples of you being wrong, but I notice you referred to Linux as an operating system. So I have no idea what distrobution your talking about.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#17ShubPosted 8/21/2014 1:22:00 PM
It's also very good at polarizing opinions and generating forum discussions that attract people who are as smug and pretentious as that minority of Linux users whom they call smug and pretentious.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#18mrCubePosted 8/21/2014 1:27:00 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
mrCube posted...
KaiserWarrior posted...

I'd give you examples of you being wrong, but I notice you referred to Linux as an operating system. So I have no idea what distrobution your talking about.

It doesn't really matter what distro I'm talking about. You CAN compile stuff yourself, if you want. And if you're the kind of person who needs to do something like that, you're not the "average PC consumer" and you probably aren't going to have a problem.

If you needed a jumping point for your argument you could have connected the dots when I said "pacman" and "apt"
---
---
#19SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:32:57 PM(edited)
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
mrCube posted...
KaiserWarrior posted...

I'd give you examples of you being wrong, but I notice you referred to Linux as an operating system. So I have no idea what distribution your talking about.

It doesn't really matter what distro I'm talking about. You CAN compile stuff yourself, if you want. And if you're the kind of person who needs to do something like that, you're not the "average PC consumer" and you probably aren't going to have a problem.

If you needed a jumping point for your argument you could have connected the dots when I said "pacman" and "apt"

Well for example, Ubuntu and upgrading your video drivers is a real test in patience. As this is a PC form for gaming PC's, upgrading video drivers is a very common thing, and to have a distribution do such a horrible job at it....
I hear some distros actually update the video drivers in the repo, but Ubuntu/Mint and derivatives don't seem to.
But hey, nVidia provides instructions.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/chapter-04.html

The very first sentence should probably throw most users.
Before you begin the installation, exit the X server and terminate all OpenGL applications

---
#20mrCubePosted 8/21/2014 1:33:15 PM
Also if you want to get pedantic about it, calling Linux an OS is fair. There's more to it than the kernel.
---
---