This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly is Linux useful for?

#21Haley Joel OsmentPosted 8/21/2014 1:35:22 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
I hear some distros actually update the video drivers in the repo, but Ubuntu/Mint and derivatives don't seem to.

?

Both Ubuntu and Mint have an automated tool for installing proprietary video card drivers. It takes like two clicks and a reboot.

---
I see dead people.
#22SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:36:26 PM
Haley Joel Osment posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
I hear some distros actually update the video drivers in the repo, but Ubuntu/Mint and derivatives don't seem to.

?

Both Ubuntu and Mint have an automated tool for installing proprietary video card drivers. It takes like two clicks and a reboot.

Yeah, my mint install shows the latest is version 310. LOL
That's handy, the repo has an ancient version.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#23Orestes417Posted 8/21/2014 1:36:38 PM
Screwing around with your video drivers outside of your distro's repo isn't a very common thing at all with most modern setups, and even if you do compulsively feel the need to do it downloading the file and running sh NVIDIA-Linux-blah.blah.blah.run is not rocket science. Yes the nvidia guide gets more in depth, no virtually none of what it gets in depth about is relevant to the average user's needs.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#24SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:38:22 PM(edited)
Orestes417 posted...
Screwing around with your video drivers outside of your distro's repo isn't a very common thing at all with most modern setups, and even if you do compulsively feel the need to do it downloading the file and running sh NVIDIA-Linux-blah.blah.blah.run is not rocket science. Yes the nvidia guide gets more in depth, no virtually none of what it gets in depth about is relevant to the average user's needs.

The average user here will update their drivers every time there is a new one, and often the beta versions too.
If the repos don't keep up, they are useless.
If you want to start a discussion about users that aren't here maybe you should have the discussion on the console boards.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#25mrCubePosted 8/21/2014 1:39:09 PM(edited)
SinisterSlay posted...

Well for example, Ubuntu and upgrading your video drivers is a real test in patience. As this is a PC form for gaming PC's, upgrading video drivers is a very common thing, and to have a distribution do such a horrible job at it....
But hey, nVidia provides instructions.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/chapter-04.html

The very first sentence should probably throw most users.
Before you begin the installation, exit the X server and terminate all OpenGL applications

Article is from 2006 lol

But yeah, Ubuntu has an "Additional Drivers" tab that makes it easier than on Windows, even.
---
---
#26SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:39:11 PM
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...

Well for example, Ubuntu and upgrading your video drivers is a real test in patience. As this is a PC form for gaming PC's, upgrading video drivers is a very common thing, and to have a distribution do such a horrible job at it....
But hey, nVidia provides instructions.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/chapter-04.html

The very first sentence should probably throw most users.
Before you begin the installation, exit the X server and terminate all OpenGL applications

Aricle is from 2006 lol

It's a little sad that since 2006 you still can't just download a deb package and run it to update your drivers.
---
#27mrCubePosted 8/21/2014 1:39:47 PM
What does any of this have to do with compiling or dependencies, Sinister?
---
---
#28SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:43:22 PM(edited)
mrCube posted...
What does any of this have to do with compiling or dependencies, Sinister?

Go to page 3.
Compiling it to the kernel
http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/173.14.12/README/chapter-04-section-03.html

I really don't understand why ubuntu doesn't just keep the latest drivers in the repo. Other distros do. I hear majaro or however it's spelled even has the beta versions.

-Edit
I just noticed I'm really off topic. Whoops.
---
#29Orestes417Posted 8/21/2014 1:43:49 PM
If you think you're going to treat a *nix system as you do Windows you're in for a rude awakening. That's a flaw with user expectations.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#30SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:46:15 PM
Orestes417 posted...
If you think you're going to treat a *nix system as you do Windows you're in for a rude awakening. That's a flaw with user expectations.

It's a flaw with something that's for sure.

"Why do I have to turn the car wheel to the left to go straight?"
"Just turn it left, it's different, what did you expect?"
"I expected it to go straight when I pointed the wheel straight"
"Well this is a <car brand here> your expectations are wrong"
---