This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly is Linux useful for?

#31Orestes417Posted 8/21/2014 12:47:29 PM
And that fulfills the topics quota of misguided car analogies.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#32SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 12:47:48 PM
Orestes417 posted...
And that fulfills the topics quota of misguided car analogies.

I think we have room for 2 more.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#33Sora_AnbuPosted 8/21/2014 12:50:04 PM
Linux, huh yeah
What is it good for!
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#34SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:00:14 PM
LinSora_Anbu posted...
Linux, huh yeah
What is it good for!

pr0n
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#35mogexpress1Posted 8/21/2014 1:00:42 PM
supercomputers, sharing computers, remote logins

Running programs only made in linux cause researchers ran out of money / expertise.
---
Daddy's home
Shut up gabe and take my money
#36mrCubePosted 8/21/2014 1:06:21 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
If you think you're going to treat a *nix system as you do Windows you're in for a rude awakening. That's a flaw with user expectations.

It's a flaw with something that's for sure.

"Why do I have to turn the car wheel to the left to go straight?"
"Just turn it left, it's different, what did you expect?"
"I expected it to go straight when I pointed the wheel straight"
"Well this is a <car brand here> your expectations are wrong"

He's right though, you just have wrong expectations from using Windows all your life. For a lot of people, Windows is their baseline for how a PC should behave because it's all they've ever been exposed to.
---
---
#37SinisterSlayPosted 8/21/2014 1:09:04 PM(edited)
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...
If you think you're going to treat a *nix system as you do Windows you're in for a rude awakening. That's a flaw with user expectations.

He's right though, you just have wrong expectations from using Windows all your life. For a lot of people, Windows is their baseline for how a PC should behave because it's all they've ever been exposed to.

Ooo second car analogy time!

It would be like releasing a car with no gas or brake pedals but using buttons instead.
Too different for people.

Come on one more car analogy!
---
#38JockoPosted 8/21/2014 1:40:39 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

It would be like releasing a car with no gas or brake pedals but using buttons instead.

You wouldn't download a car in Windows but in Linux you would.
---
The oxygen's leaving my brain!!! --Clucky the Chicken
()===={SWORDSWORDSWORDSWORD> It's my SWORD sword.
#39mrCubePosted 8/21/2014 1:58:11 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
mrCube posted...
SinisterSlay posted...
Orestes417 posted...

That's pretty much what I was saying, except that's not the OS's fault.

In any case, I don't actually think there's a distro out there that is really great to use as a desktop environment. All I was saying is that most package managers are far superior to Windows's method. And also that you never really have to compile anything.
---
---
#40AmirygonPosted 8/21/2014 2:12:49 PM
Linux-based systems tend to offer less performance-hogging, easier maintenance, and more customization. Plus, they're mostly open-source and freeware which is always worth supporting. I personally have been enjoying Ubuntu Studio myself though I do dual-boot into Windows 7 more often.

The only real con to using Linux is the lack of demand and support. If every customer were to just switch to a Linux distro, every major game developer would switch to support it, and the reason customers don't is because they've used Windows most of their lives and are afraid of the lack of support. Quite the bit of paradox sadly, but it is being addressed by Steam.
---
It is the fact you are offended, quite frankly, that offends me.