This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What exactly is Linux useful for?

#51kobalobasileusPosted 8/21/2014 7:04:23 PM
OP makes no sense. Linux has a far worse interface than Windows... unless you're talking Windows 3.x for Workgroups or something.

As for what Linux is good for: Servers. Headless slaves that sit in closets and do their thing with little direct interaction.
#52mkil5Posted 8/21/2014 7:11:05 PM
I haven't really read much of the thread.

But OP, Linux is fun. I am by no means good in Linux, but it is fun to play with and try to learn. I use Linux Mint as a second OS, and I try to use it when I am not playing games or doing something that I need Windows for.

Just try it out. A lot of distros allow you to download the ISO and boot it up via CD/DVD or USB and use it like it was your OS without installing anything. You may find tinkering with something new fun or you may absolutely hate it. Try it out, you have nothing to lose.
#53godplaysSNESPosted 8/22/2014 5:46:09 AM
For average users, the positive is that most Linux distros are free. Now that XP is unsupported, some might opt for a lightweight and free Linux distro rather than getting a new Windows.

But it'd be hard to motivate an average Windows 7 user to start using any linux distro instead.
---
Super Mario Kart is the single best Mario Kart ever!