This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Largest non SDHC SD/Micro-SD card?

#1Metroid_LoverPosted 8/21/2014 2:06:08 PM
I was just wondering this while looking at SD/Micro-SD cards on the net.

Is it 2 GB or 4GB before they are SDHC cards?
And can you get a non SDHC card that is, say 16GB?

Also, can you format a SDHC in FAT, or do all 8(4?)GB+ have to be FAT32?

Kind of an odd question, I was just wondering.

Thanks in advance!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#2Sora_AnbuPosted 8/21/2014 2:13:48 PM(edited)
Largest not HC is 4 gb.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#3El MagnificoPosted 8/21/2014 2:54:05 PM
You can get up to 4GB on regular SD cards. However, not all devices will support that. Older devices will typically only work with up to 2GB. If your device only works with FAT16, then it's very likely to only support 2GB SD cards.

SDHC is also not backwards compatible. You can't use an SDHC card in an SD only device under normal circumstances. There are some cases where a firmware update is available to allow an SD only device to use some SDHC cards, but that's pretty uncommon.

You can format an SDHC card using FAT16, but that would be highly unusual. You can technically format up to 16GB, but most FAT16 devices are going to be limited to 2GB or maybe 4GB.

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do since the details are sparse. If your device only supports FAT16, then there's almost no chance that it will work with an SDHC card. Your best bet is probably a 2GB SD card to make sure it's compatible.

#4Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 11:49:04 AM
^ Sorry about that, still getting over this cold, not thinking right.

I'm looking for a 4GB Micro SD card, NON SDHC.
*I have adapters like crazy, so I don't care if it come with a MicroSD-to-SD adapter or not.*

It's for my GPS for my car, I already talked to the manufacturer, and they said it can see up to 4GB, but has to be NON SDHC.
*updating map on it, but new map is slightly bigger then the max built in memory*

NON SDHC Micro SD cards are hard to find ;(

Anyone have any suggestions?
I've been checking newegg, amazon, and was starting on ebay, if anyone has any other ideas, please tell me.

Thank you!
---
Naked Courier (Skyrim): "I've been looking for you. Got something I'm supposed to deliver. Your hands only..."
#5El MagnificoPosted 8/22/2014 12:04:46 PM
I found a bunch of them on Newegg. Here are all the 2GB and 4GB non-HC MicroSD cards on Newegg:
http://bit.ly/1p1VGch

#6Metroid_Lover(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 3:57:58 PM
El Magnifico posted...
I found a bunch of them on Newegg. Here are all the 2GB and 4GB non-HC MicroSD cards on Newegg:
http://bit.ly/1p1VGch

Thanks for that, I did some looking there earlier, but I guess I was doing it wrong, thanks again!
---