This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Game developer in bed with gaming journalist. PART 4

#31JaybirdXPosted 8/21/2014 4:55:09 PM
Rangue posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
ein311 posted...
I'd disagree with you on that point, simply because successfully abusing DMCA claims to take down content is a pretty ongoing problem and while this incident isn't worthy of being made its own story, it is one good use-case example.

Agreed wholeheartedly, but it *is* being used as just its own story. Not one single person has carried any of this beyond Zoe to the bigger things. No one has pulled in other instances of this and built them into anything resembling a cohesive case. It's just a big, stinky tower of Zoe bashing.

You realize that is because we only have proof for Zoe right? The reason Zoe is at the center of all the issues discussed, is because we got a huge infodump of logs about Zoe from her ex boyfriend. If we had anything at all resembling proof for any other totally obvious but unprovable BS that game journalists do, people would be jumping over that.

There is no reason to feel bad for, or defend her. Everything that is happening she brought onto herself with her actions.

The reason I have stayed away from the DMCA issue for the most part is that it is not provable that it was Zoe that did it, just likely. Why would I concentrate resources on something with no proof?

From what I have seen most people have been talking about the crap game journalist are pulling. The only stuff slamming her sex life are people bring up to defend when that long sense passed and have no relevance to the current thread.

Also while it is true we should not involve her sex life and focus on the journalist corruption they are kind of pretty in bed together "bad pun intended" at this point.

So it is kind of obtuse to say focus on this and not on that. I mean we all trying to sort this nonsense out.
---
3DS FC 5257-8859-8358
#32Lemur_HPosted 8/21/2014 4:56:25 PM
ein311 posted...
KillerTruffle posted...
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7s9atzfNS1rziwwco1_400.gif

I enjoy how you use crappy tumblr gifs to portray your frustration about this whole thing. :D

I LOVE SUPERNATURAL
#33MaddSciencePosted 8/21/2014 4:57:10 PM
tmons78 posted...
My take on how Zoe Quinn benefitted through her relationship with Nathan Grayson.

We've all read the article: http://tmi.kotaku.com/the-indie-game-reality-tv-show-that-went-to-hell-1555599284

At the end, Grayson decides to let Quinn have the final word and "sum up" the experience. Here's what she said:

"There was this amazing thing that happened after the production was over. Without any organization or prompting, we acquired and shared some refreshments around, set up some multiplayer games, invited production staff to just come be people and play with us, and had a spontaneous pop up party more or less. It was the first time I had started to feel like myself at all since landing in LA. I started to remember what life felt like off-set again, and it reminded me of what I love about game jams and the indie community in general. It felt like such a complete contrast to the 24 hours that preceded it, and a thought clicked into my head."

"I want to run a game jam. I'd love to have the LPers do what they're so often so brilliant at and bridge the gap between the games and the audience, and do it super low-tech, low-budget, documentary style. Capture the inspiration, the hard work, the 3am delirium and the dumb jokes that come with it. Show people how we all band together and support each other through the deadline. That's what I want to show the world about game jams. That's the ambassador I'd rather be."

In my opinion, if Grayson's only interest was to let her sum up the experience, he should have stopped right before "and a thought clicked into my head." What was said before that is a decent summation of the feelings by all after the event. What follows that quote has really nothing to do with the event, but is instead an idea Quinn has that can help her further her career - her Rebel Game Jam. (http://www.rebelgamejam.com/)

Now, why I say this benefited Quinn is because she launched her website on 3-31-14 (http://whois.domaintools.com/rebelgamejam.com), the same day that the article was posted to Kotaku by Grayson.

So it is possible that Quinn could benefit professionally through that article, and through her connection with Grayson.

It is also possible that Quinn benefited financially through that article as if someone wants to donate to the Rebel Game Jam, the donations thru paypal go directly to Zoe Quinn (The Quinnspiracy).

http://tinyurl.com/jw6cexn (it was a really long link)

(and you can check for yourself by clicking "donate here!" on http://www.rebelgamejam.com/ if you don't believe me)

I realize that I can't prove this, but I just wanted to express what I saw as a possible gain for Quinn through her association with Grayson.

nice take on the possible corruption part with no mention of the sex.
---
HDD is like a horse while SSDs are like Cars - CuteBeans
#34ein311Posted 8/21/2014 5:01:16 PM
JaybirdX posted...
Also while it is true we should not involve her sex life and focus on the journalist corruption they are kind of pretty in bed together "bad pun intended" at this point.

I agree with you on this point. However, the relatively harsh language used to describe the relationships is adding fuel to the SJW/feminist/etc. argument that this is all mudslinging to personally attack her.
if there's going to be proper discussion on this, it should be treated with a bit of tact.

I think a lot of the censorship/etc., on Reddit at least, stems from people posting "personal information" (even though that has been proven to be false, Reddit's admins don't want to deal with dox accusations), and personal attacks, etc. I know there are the links of a reddit /r/gaming mod to Zoe, etc. but the conversation has its own subreddit and those that stick to the no personal information rule are having their topics stay open.

There are some conversations going on there about this that are not being censored, and while we can bring up the cause of the conflicts of interest, it shouldn't be the main talking point IMO.
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#35Tucker_BAPosted 8/21/2014 5:02:04 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
What exactly is the endgame here?

Get Kotaku to own up that they hired an incompetent writer with no journalistic ethics.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjD6wo9BIyM
#36ein311Posted 8/21/2014 5:03:32 PM
Tucker_BA posted...
Get Kotaku to own up that they hired an incompetent writer with no journalistic ethics.

I thought everyone already knew that Kotaku in general was garbage?

"Journalism" is dead. As long as you're good at producing clickbait, you're qualified as a "journalist."
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#37geekneck99Posted 8/21/2014 5:06:24 PM(edited)
ein311 posted...
SmoboHash posted...
everyone already knows. you don't need to keep posting

The topic really should have a new title.

Shadow actually did give a more appropriate title to his version of the "3rd edition". That one got deleted though.

*shrug*

Like I've said before, you don't have to pick one side or another to acknowledge that this is a sad situation no matter what the truth turns out to be.
---
If you can read this, you don't need glasses.
#38KillerTrufflePosted 8/21/2014 5:03:53 PM
Tucker_BA posted...
DaedalusEx posted...

And what is the plan to accomplish that?
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23
#39ein311Posted 8/21/2014 5:06:48 PM
geekneck99 posted...
this is a sad situation no matter what the truth turns out to be.

Yea, it really does suck for everyone involved. And please don't take that comment as sympathy, because it isn't. ;P
---
Man your own jackhammer
Man your battlestations
#40RosencroitzPosted 8/21/2014 5:07:45 PM
Tucker_BA posted...
DaedalusEx posted...

I'd like to see Escapist burnt to the ground with everybody involved (both within and without) blacklisted, personally.
---
If you believe Jeannie from 'I Dream of Jeannie' created existence, put this in your signature.