This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

DVD drive vibration with two different ASUS drives

#1Skurv7Posted 8/21/2014 3:54:33 PM
Is his normal? on boot the drive spins up and I get a sudden vibration that goes away shortly thereafter. It does not do it with a disc in the drive and this happens on two different drives...my mounting system uses tool-less parts so I wonder if that allows this to happen.
---
Not changing this sig until the Oakland Raiders have a playoff appearance.
Dec. 8th 2013
#2ivanwind15Posted 8/21/2014 4:04:45 PM(edited)
The drive itself vibrates? That's not normal if it's installed correctly (snugly) . The vibration should get dissipated into the rest of the case.

EDIT: To clarify, slight vibration to the touch is normal, but if you can actually SEE it vibrate, then yeah, that's bad.
---
My gaming Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/ramblingtoad
#3Skurv7(Topic Creator)Posted 8/21/2014 4:14:21 PM(edited)
Yeah, I was planning on bolting all 8 mounting holes to the case to see if that would help any. I bought another one thinking something was wrong with the drive being imbalanced but the second one does the exact same thing. This vibration does not occur with the dvd drive unplugged so it is singled out to the drive itself. It also does this vibration when i open and close the drive with no disc inside and if I boot it with a disc inside, it does not do it.

EDIT: I can't see it vibrate but I can hear and feel it. It may just be poor case design allowing the vibration to dissipate into the case itself but I mostly feel it right where the drive is. Maybe I'm just paranoid considering two drives did this.
---
Not changing this sig until the Oakland Raiders have a playoff appearance.
Dec. 8th 2013
#4zerodefectPosted 8/21/2014 4:31:25 PM
Yeah, it's normal when the disc spins up.

Just make your hard drive your primary boot device so it does not try to read the disc on boot if it annoys you.
---
i5 3570k@4.7GHz, Antec Kulher H2O 920, SLI EVGA GTX670's, GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H, 2x4GB Kingston HyperX Genesis, XFX Pro750W Core PSU