This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone explain the ins and outs of FXAA? I can't seem to find a conclusive-

#11DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/22/2014 8:26:54 AM(edited)
MSAA can also cause more apparent aliasing with rim/diffuse lighting, which is one of the main reasons FXAA was developed. Since shader-based light correction isn't factored into the antialiasing, the end result is that you'll have shaded lighting up to the edge of an object, and then suddenly, unshaded lighting around the edge.
CSAA uses MSAA samples, and then assumes the resulting colour based on existence of a polygon. This is basically free, and though lower quality than full MSAA, it works pretty well.
SSAA is not suitable for your average user to dabble with, but will result in the best image quality, as it's rendering and downsampling a higher resolution image. It's becoming more viable as more games that don't support high quality AA methods move into the "anything can run this at 240fps" category.
TRAA/Transparency Supersampling is SSAA for pixels that have transparent texture samples within them. Typically much cheaper than actual SSAA, as it only samples texture data, I believe.
MLAA is like FXAA, but it tries to detect shapes and curves in an image rather than aliasing.
SMAA is MLAA that works on a sub pixel level rather than the rendering resolution, which allows for smoother lines.
TXAA is Temporal (Xylophone?) Anti Aliasing. This uses a combination of multisampling(msaa), post processing(fxaa/mlaa), and temporal anti aliasing to smooth out crawling, staircasing, and generally, the entire image. It works well at what it does, but it only looks good in higher resolutions, due to the rather wide blurring that results from trying to find and catch temporal aliasing. When it first came into use, there was a lot of discontent with the image it provided because of this, but I see more people taking to it lately. I, personally, don't like it in the resolution that I typically play at. It probably looks quite nice in 4k, or maybe 1440p.
MSAA, TRAA, SSAA, MLAA/SMAA, and FXAA can be retrofitted to virtually any game.
In some cases, MSAA or SSAA can potentially break some aspects of the game, such as rendering shadows, calculating motion blur, drawing HUD elements, lighting, ect.
FXAA/SMAA/MLAA will work the same with anything, but can blur HUD elements due to working on the final image.
TXAA only works with games that implement it in-engine.
I have never seen TRAA mess up an image, but it may be possible I guess. However, it only works on textures that have transparent pixels.

Typically, for older games, you should use MSAA/CSAA, +TRAA if the game has jagged textures.
For older games that don't support MSAA properly, SSAA can be used. In some cases, though, it's as simple as using gamma correction.(typically, games with bloom)
For newer games that are too demanding for SSAA and don't properly support MSAA, you can use FXAA, MLAA, SMAA, no AA, or TXAA if supported, depending on whichever gives you the image you want at the performance you want.

However, it's generally best to use in-game AA solutions if available unless you have some serious reservations about the image quality presented.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#12ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 12:53:15 PM
Wow, woke up to find a book on the subject lol.

Alright, cool. Now that I understand AA, I want to know why my NVIDIA Global Settings don't effect certain games when I ask to override the application's setting. Is this because the game itself doesn't support it? Would it be better to Enhance Application Setting?
---
I have OCD, so I close all my topics once I'm done with them.
#13SinisterSlayPosted 8/22/2014 12:59:05 PM
ajko000 posted...

Alright, cool. Now that I understand AA, I want to know why my NVIDIA Global Settings don't effect certain games when I ask to override the application's setting. Is this because the game itself doesn't support it? Would it be better to Enhance Application Setting?

Some AA is unsupported on some games.
Also the nvidia control panel seems to sometimes glitch when you specify settings per game instead of using the global settings.
---
He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - Brother Silence
#14ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 1:14:55 PM
SinisterSlay posted...
ajko000 posted...

Some AA is unsupported on some games.
Also the nvidia control panel seems to sometimes glitch when you specify settings per game instead of using the global settings.

I'm using the Global Settings :i.
---
#15occonoPosted 8/22/2014 2:54:43 PM
Well on a midrange gaming laptop, FXAA is great to have.
#16LvthnPosted 8/22/2014 3:29:43 PM
I prefer no AA to FXAA, but at 1440p and above I think crispness > softened jaggies.

I recently tested AA settings. With FXAA, I saw image degradation IMO, textures looked worse. With MSAA x2, I saw no real change. At MSAA x4 or x8 I could see real image improvement, no discernable jaggies...but whether I can run AA that high at 3440x1440 even with two 780s depends entirely on the game, and the games it looks best in are simply impossible to run AA that high.

Fortunately even with no AA it looks fine to me.
#17kaminarikidPosted 8/22/2014 3:36:25 PM
It all comes down to preference, I suppose. Personally, I despise post processing filters and would much rather have no AA at all, but that's just me.
---
Just because a game gets Best Wii Game Of The Year, doesn't make it good.
http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/Kaminari_Kid.png
#18ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 3:57:29 PM
What about the talk that AA/AF causes input lag? Is this true?
---
#19DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/22/2014 7:32:38 PM
Neither AA nor AF cause any more input lag than any other thing.
The reason that some games don't work with override AA is because some games require compatibility information to apply AA, or may simply not work at all with AA solutions available.
If a game is incompatible, you can look around for "compatibility bits", and enter them into the AA compatibility setting for that game using something like nVidia Inspector.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#20ajko000(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 7:55:05 PM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
Neither AA nor AF cause any more input lag than any other thing.
The reason that some games don't work with override AA is because some games require compatibility information to apply AA, or may simply not work at all with AA solutions available.
If a game is incompatible, you can look around for "compatibility bits", and enter them into the AA compatibility setting for that game using something like nVidia Inspector.

I see, thank you.
---