This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Soundcard suddenly stopped working and I've tried everything, what is wrong?

#1Itachi62Posted 8/22/2014 12:47:59 AM
I have an Asus Xonar Essence ST, and a few days ago, I suddenly found that I had no sound whatsoever. So I tried more things than I can remember:

- Made sure Windows is using the right speakers.
- Tried multiple different drivers.
- Tested it on both Windows 8 and Ubuntu.
- Tested multiple headphones.
- Tested my old Xonar DG instead.
- Tested the ST and DG on two different PCI slots.
- Tried my motherboard's onboard sound, without any soundcard in.
- Tried having onboard sound both enabled and disabled with a soundcard in.

... and I'm sure one or two things more, too, that I can't think of to check off. Nothing works. Right now I'm using a cheap USB soundcard instead, because USB devices do work, probably due to using their own sound hardware. However my HiFiMAN HE-400s do not sound nearly as good plugged into a USB soundcard, as they do plugged into my ST.

I'm completely stumped, any idea what could be wrong? Don't think it's a software issue or else it'd work on another OS, don't think it's a hardware issue with my soundcard or else my old one would work. The only thing I can think of is that it's a motherboard issue, but I'm not really sure if there's a way to confirm that for sure, and motherboard is an absolute pain to replace and expensive because my computer is a couple years old too so I wouldn't want to unless I was absolutely certain.
#2Sora_AnbuPosted 8/22/2014 12:50:07 AM
Try another pci slot, if that doesn't fix it, it's the sound card.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#3Itachi62(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 12:52:05 AM
No offense, but did you read my post? I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately I've already tried that. I wish it was that simple.
#4Garage_ManPosted 8/22/2014 12:55:29 AM
The card sounds dead to me....

Maybe look into a higher end USB DAC/Headphone amp setup. Best part is you can take it to all your PC's in the house and even some of the game consoles ;)
#5Sora_AnbuPosted 8/22/2014 1:09:47 AM
Well, it probably is the motherboard. I kinda glazed over the list before. But since another thing to try is a fresh install.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#6Itachi62(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 1:16:10 AM
Garage_Man posted...
The card sounds dead to me....

Maybe look into a higher end USB DAC/Headphone amp setup. Best part is you can take it to all your PC's in the house and even some of the game consoles ;)

Only thing is if it's the card, how did my other card die too just sitting around? Otherwise I'd be sure it was the soundcard too.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I was thinking of that actually, Could I get something as good as the ST at about the same price range of about ~$200, though? If not I may save anyway.

Sora_Anbu posted...
Well, it probably is the motherboard. I kinda glazed over the list before. But since another thing to try is a fresh install.

Thanks for taking a closer list at what I wrote. Good to see someone else agrees with my guess of it being the motherboard. A fresh install, what do you mean? I've installed the card into the PCI slot a whole bunch of times the past few days and reinstalled drivers even more than that. Not sure a fresh install of Windows would work with how the card didn't work in Ubuntu.
#7DAP1MP13Posted 8/22/2014 4:14:22 AM
Yeah, sounds like a motherboard issue, unfortunately.

Do you have another pc you can test the st/dg on? Maybe at a friends house, that would definitely confirm if it's a motherboard problem (if the sound cards work).
---
NYC. The City never sleeps, it's full of villains and creeps, it's where I learned to do my hustle, had to scuffle with freaks.
PSN/360/Steam ID: DAP1MP13
#8DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/22/2014 5:51:17 AM
Check your bios settings to make sure you don't have anything enabled/disabled that might interfere with PCI slot operation.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross