This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Soundcard suddenly stopped working and I've tried everything, what is wrong?

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Soundcard suddenly stopped working and I've tried everything, what is wrong?

User Info: Itachi62

Itachi62
2 years ago#1
I have an Asus Xonar Essence ST, and a few days ago, I suddenly found that I had no sound whatsoever. So I tried more things than I can remember:

- Made sure Windows is using the right speakers.
- Tried multiple different drivers.
- Tested it on both Windows 8 and Ubuntu.
- Tested multiple headphones.
- Tested my old Xonar DG instead.
- Tested the ST and DG on two different PCI slots.
- Tried my motherboard's onboard sound, without any soundcard in.
- Tried having onboard sound both enabled and disabled with a soundcard in.

... and I'm sure one or two things more, too, that I can't think of to check off. Nothing works. Right now I'm using a cheap USB soundcard instead, because USB devices do work, probably due to using their own sound hardware. However my HiFiMAN HE-400s do not sound nearly as good plugged into a USB soundcard, as they do plugged into my ST.

I'm completely stumped, any idea what could be wrong? Don't think it's a software issue or else it'd work on another OS, don't think it's a hardware issue with my soundcard or else my old one would work. The only thing I can think of is that it's a motherboard issue, but I'm not really sure if there's a way to confirm that for sure, and motherboard is an absolute pain to replace and expensive because my computer is a couple years old too so I wouldn't want to unless I was absolutely certain.

User Info: Sora_Anbu

Sora_Anbu
2 years ago#2
Try another pci slot, if that doesn't fix it, it's the sound card.
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack

Itachi62
2 years ago#3
No offense, but did you read my post? I appreciate the suggestion, but unfortunately I've already tried that. I wish it was that simple.

User Info: Garage_Man

Garage_Man
2 years ago#4
The card sounds dead to me....

Maybe look into a higher end USB DAC/Headphone amp setup. Best part is you can take it to all your PC's in the house and even some of the game consoles ;)

User Info: Sora_Anbu

Sora_Anbu
2 years ago#5
Well, it probably is the motherboard. I kinda glazed over the list before. But since another thing to try is a fresh install.
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack

Itachi62
2 years ago#6
Garage_Man posted...
The card sounds dead to me....

Maybe look into a higher end USB DAC/Headphone amp setup. Best part is you can take it to all your PC's in the house and even some of the game consoles ;)

Only thing is if it's the card, how did my other card die too just sitting around? Otherwise I'd be sure it was the soundcard too.

Hmm, that's a good idea. I was thinking of that actually, Could I get something as good as the ST at about the same price range of about ~$200, though? If not I may save anyway.

Sora_Anbu posted...
Well, it probably is the motherboard. I kinda glazed over the list before. But since another thing to try is a fresh install.

Thanks for taking a closer list at what I wrote. Good to see someone else agrees with my guess of it being the motherboard. A fresh install, what do you mean? I've installed the card into the PCI slot a whole bunch of times the past few days and reinstalled drivers even more than that. Not sure a fresh install of Windows would work with how the card didn't work in Ubuntu.

User Info: DAP1MP13

DAP1MP13
2 years ago#7
Yeah, sounds like a motherboard issue, unfortunately.

Do you have another pc you can test the st/dg on? Maybe at a friends house, that would definitely confirm if it's a motherboard problem (if the sound cards work).
NYC. The City never sleeps, it's full of villains and creeps, it's where I learned to do my hustle, had to scuffle with freaks.
PSN/360/Steam ID: DAP1MP13

User Info: DarkZV2Beta

DarkZV2Beta
2 years ago#8
Check your bios settings to make sure you don't have anything enabled/disabled that might interfere with PCI slot operation.
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Soundcard suddenly stopped working and I've tried everything, what is wrong?

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived