This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

White House Cybersecurity Leader: Technical Know-How's a Distraction

#1KamenRiderBladePosted 8/22/2014 3:35:34 AM(edited)
http://gizmodo.com/white-house-cybersecurity-leader-technical-know-hows-a-1625439356

Another Face Palm moment brought to you by the US Government!

This man shouldn't be allowed into any Cyber Security if he doesn't understand and can't implement the Technical Know How.

Seriously, only in Capitol Hill where actual knowledge & experience isn't needed to do their jobs.

It's like that time where they let a Anti-Science guy on the Science Board.

Seriously, there should be certain pre-requisites for being in certain positions.

This clown with no technical computer skills is going to be protecting our internet with his policy making.

-_-

Obama and his cronyism.
---
Are you a MexiCAN or a MexiCAN'T - Johnny Depp 'Once Upon A Time in Mexico'
#2phy2jshPosted 8/22/2014 4:52:29 AM(edited)
He's a 'coordinator' - a manager. For this role, would you rather have a) someone with an underlying understanding of the technical aspects, and strong understanding of the strategic aspects; or b) vice versa? I know which I'd pick. That's not to say he should know nothing of cyber-security, but that is not what he is saying, as far as I can see.
#3Another_CyzykPosted 8/22/2014 4:59:02 AM
phy2jsh posted...
He's a 'coordinator' - a manager. For this role, would you rather have a) someone with an underlying understanding of the technical aspects, and strong understanding of the strategic aspects; or b) vice versa? I know which I'd pick. That's not to say he should know nothing of cyber-security, but that is not what he is saying, as far as I can see.

Except that is what he is saying. He isn't trumpeting his long experience with managing sizable tech-focused operations, he isn't pointing out a career history in administration in computer-related fields. He's saying his relative ignorance is a virtue, not that he brings valuable strategic insights to a team of highly experienced technology gurus.
#4blax34dmPosted 8/22/2014 5:05:30 AM
Would you really expect anything different?
#5phy2jshPosted 8/22/2014 5:06:14 AM
Another_Cyzyk posted...
phy2jsh posted...

Except that is what he is saying. He isn't trumpeting his long experience with managing sizable tech-focused operations, he isn't pointing out a career history in administration in computer-related fields. He's saying his relative ignorance is a virtue, not that he brings valuable strategic insights to a team of highly experienced technology gurus.

Perhaps I should have read a little deeper then. Still, I agree with him that it is very important to be able to 'detach' yourself from the detail in such a role, to an extent, but don't agree that ignorance of the detail is necessary to be able to do so.
#6LazyyAmericanPosted 8/22/2014 6:53:23 AM
More unshakable faith in this grand ole country.
---
A true cinematic 24 fps experience