This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Should i Humble the Bundle or ALS Ice Bucket Challenge ?

#21Dr_keithPosted 8/22/2014 7:06:54 AM
What you need to do is take the Dr_keith PayPal Challenge.

Whoever sends me the most money wins.

All proceeds will go towards battling my sobriety.
---
If you're worse than me: You're a n00b.
If you're better than me: You're a hacker.
#22NemerlightPosted 8/22/2014 7:08:10 AM
pothocket posted...
I think it makes perfect sense to talk **** about the ice bucket challenge because it trivializes a very serious and terrible disease. People are smiling and laughing while they do it and it's over in just a second. Something tells me that's not an accurate representation, at all, of what it's like to live with the disease.

Honestly, this would make a hell of a lot more sense if it was the tazer challenge.

Sure, they're raising money now but they also turned it into the meme of the week that no one will care about when they're distracted by the next shiney thing.

"Ma'am, donate for ALS?"

No thanks, I dumped icewater on my head last year

Yea no big deal.
---
Miami Heat not champions of 2014.
http://i.imgur.com/m52Q7Rt.gif
#23JKatarnPosted 8/22/2014 7:08:20 AM
Ch3wy posted...
pothocket posted...
I think it makes perfect sense to talk **** about the ice bucket challenge because it trivializes a very serious and terrible disease. People are smiling and laughing while they do it and it's over in just a second. Something tells me that's not an accurate representation, at all, of what it's like to live with the disease.

Honestly, this would make a hell of a lot more sense if it was the tazer challenge.

Sure, they're raising money now but they also turned it into the meme of the week that no one will care about when they're distracted by the next shiney thing.

"Ma'am, donate for ALS?"

No thanks, I dumbed icewater on my head last year

Massive amounts of people aren't going to taze each other and record it so willingly. And if an organization was telling people to do so they'd get sued.

If you know of a more effective way to raise a money for ALS to make up for a lack in funding you should let them know. But I don't think you're gonna top this.

Well not voting in constituents that radically cut science/medical science funding would be a good start. Was having a discussion with my brother-in-law about the really conservative members of his family and them pushing this ice-bucket challenge to raise a few million for ALS and yet voting in representatives that then cut medical science/ALS funding by hundreds of millions/billions.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#24Lady UnePosted 8/22/2014 7:10:31 AM
JohnMafia posted...
-5xad0w- posted...
Sadly the ALS ice bucket challenge has gone from a way to raise awareness to a way for people to show off on social media and try to one up their friends.

Its also resulted in $20 million + in donations, so who cares?

Certainly not smug, pretentious f***wits who can't even get the letters ALS in the correct order on their facebook page and brag about how much they are helping those poor kids who live in the ASL by posting their epic roof top ice bucket challenge.
---
Leader of the Elder Cult of Jiub.
Wow. Kenny's a Japanese Princess..
#25CELTEKKPosted 8/22/2014 7:18:34 AM
the ice bucket challenge is such bs. sure you're spreading the word. but imagine if all the people who just dumped ice on themselves also donated?
---
i long to see their faces...
regardless of the decay
#26JohnMafiaPosted 8/22/2014 7:29:06 AM
Lady Une posted...
JohnMafia posted...
-5xad0w- posted...
Sadly the ALS ice bucket challenge has gone from a way to raise awareness to a way for people to show off on social media and try to one up their friends.

Its also resulted in $20 million + in donations, so who cares?

Certainly not smug, pretentious f***wits who can't even get the letters ALS in the correct order on their facebook page and brag about how much they are helping those poor kids who live in the ASL by posting their epic roof top ice bucket challenge.

Its led to $20 million+ in donations for a very worthy cause. who cares what the motivations, strategy, reasons, whether they are smug, pretentious, whatever? $20 million! In less than a month!

Yeah if people are bragging about helping kids simply cause they dumped water on themselves, they are kinda ridiculous. But its not like people don't do ridiculous things without motivation. That's irrelevant. What matters is however silly or pointless or dumb you might think this is, its resulted in massive donations for a good cause. is there nothing people on the internet will not ***** about?
---
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1173050/wilson-cruz.gif
http://d22zlbw5ff7yk5.cloudfront.net/images/cm-28790-0508f1032d1c7d.gif
#27KillerTrufflePosted 8/22/2014 8:43:37 AM
CELTEKK posted...
the ice bucket challenge is such bs. sure you're spreading the word. but imagine if all the people who just dumped ice on themselves also donated?

As I said before, they're SUPPOSED to also donate. $10.

Regardless of who is donating, these are the figures.

From 7/29/14 through 8/21/14, the ALS Foundation has received $41.8 million in donations.

From 7/29/13 through 8/21/13, the ALS Foundation received $2.1 million.

So that "yeah they're making money" is just a tiny bit of an understatement. They've made nearly 2000% more in donations this year than last year. That says the campaign sure as hell appears to be working. I'm curious why people care so much about the ice bucket videos... so what if people take the opportunity to try and get a tiny bit of screen time with this? The bottom line is they ARE getting a whole lot of donations.
---
"How do I get rid of a Trojan Horse?" -Sailor_Kakashi
"Leave it outside the gates of Troy overnight." -Davel23