This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Free to Play games worth trying?

#71DaedalusExPosted 8/22/2014 3:22:50 PM
anonymous46773 posted...
Except those heroes are not inherently better than any other heroes.

On certain teams, against certain teams, and in certain situations, yes, they are.
#72GunmaN1905Posted 8/22/2014 3:24:25 PM
Who cares about if they're better? You either have to grind of pay for them. Stop being such a fanboy and admit riot's business model is trash and they just milk money from the fanbase. (I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, if people are idiots to pay for it, why the heck not.)
#73anonymous46773Posted 8/22/2014 3:26:36 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
anonymous46773 posted...
Except those heroes are not inherently better than any other heroes.

On certain teams, against certain teams, and in certain situations, yes, they are.

anonymous46773 posted...
Playing a character you're not as good at because it's slightly better in the meta is nowhere near as effective as using a champion that covers the same role that you are better at. Completely level playing field. As said, the only time that it wouldn't be a level playing field is if someone happened to hit the skill cap in the game and played perfectly with every champion. That hasn't happened yet. With anyone. And never will, so it's a moot point.

GunmaN1905 posted...
Who cares about if they're better? You either have to grind of pay for them. Stop being such a fanboy and admit riot's business model is trash and they just milk money from the fanbase. (I'm not saying I wouldn't do it, if people are idiots to pay for it, why the heck not.)

The logical ones always get called fanboys.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#74GunmaN1905Posted 8/22/2014 3:31:19 PM
Don't pull a strawman on me.
Facts are there, you can't deny them and stop acting like you're 12.
I didn't say lol is a terrible game, I just said that riot's business model is standard "I'm greedy and you can't do crap about it" model and people accept it.

Don't dare to say that noone has ever won a game because team 1 had a hero that couldn't be counterpicked by team 2 because noone on team 2 actually bought it/grinded for it.
If that never happened, that means lol is a trash game in which there are multiple heroes that fill exactly the same role.
#75anonymous46773Posted 8/22/2014 3:39:54 PM(edited)
Don't dare to say that noone has ever won a game because team 1 had a hero that couldn't be counterpicked by team 2 because noone on team 2 actually bought it/grinded for it.
If that never happened, that means lol is a trash game in which there are multiple heroes that fill exactly the same role.

You should have enough heroes to be able to pick and counterpick adequately by the time you hit ranked. What hero are you talking about that only has one counterpick? And yes, for all intents and purposes, there are multiple heroes that can fill in pretty much the same role. Not the *exact* role (that would get a bit boring), but they do the same role in a slightly different way. Nothing really all that game changing.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#76anonymous46773Posted 8/22/2014 3:40:37 PM
To be honest, I'm surprised no one has brought up the runes system (which is what the real problem is, imo). Funny that people just get stuck on the champions in discussions like these.
---
#77GunmaN1905Posted 8/22/2014 3:42:09 PM(edited)
So basically, most heroes you have to pay for are actually replaceable by free heroes?
What's the point of them then if we strictly look at competitive side?

And I don't really know about runes system, because I never played lol, I just know about free and purchaseable heroes.
#78anonymous46773Posted 8/22/2014 3:45:13 PM
GunmaN1905 posted...
So basically, most heroes you have to pay for are actually replaceable by free heroes?
What's the point of them then if we strictly look at competitive side?

Usually, yes. The point is to buy the heroes that you are best with / find the most fun to continue to play with them. They even rotate which champs are F2P weekly so you don't generally need to purchase blindly. On the free weekly lineup, there are always champions that cover each of the five roles (ADC, support, top, mid, and jungle). Every hero in the game will eventually be in the F2P lineup on any given week. There are no heroes that are exclusive to people who pay money.
---
#79DaedalusExPosted 8/22/2014 3:57:41 PM
anonymous46773 posted...
There are no heroes that are exclusive to people who pay money.

But if there were, what difference would it make? If multiple heroes can fill "pretty much the same role," it shouldn't matter if there are pay-only champions provided there is at least of one of each type available for free, right? Why did you feel the need to make this clarification?
#80anonymous46773Posted 8/22/2014 4:05:23 PM
DaedalusEx posted...
anonymous46773 posted...
There are no heroes that are exclusive to people who pay money.

But if there were, what difference would it make? If multiple heroes can fill "pretty much the same role," it shouldn't matter if there are pay-only champions provided there is at least of one of each type available for free, right? Why did you feel the need to make this clarification?

Because the point that riot was just being greedy was brought up, and he said that he hadn't played LoL. Just making sure that the knowledge that you don't need to pay any money to gain access to anything in the game. Ever. Is brought up. You can accelerate the process, but that's about it (and that's a different topic entirely).
---