This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Free to Play games worth trying?

#81DaedalusExPosted 8/22/2014 4:34:27 PM(edited)
anonymous46773 posted...
Just making sure that the knowledge that you don't need to pay any money to gain access to anything in the game.

But why make this point? Pay-only champions would be justified by your argument.

Unless you feel it would be unfair for players to have access to champions you don't because they paid money?
#82Bossdog421Posted 8/22/2014 4:41:30 PM
jake-sf posted...
cuteboi100 posted...
Clashtonn posted...

League of Legends is good but the F2P model isn't the best

I'm not sure what you mean but I think LoL has one of the best F2P models. There is almost no advantage to be had by paying. But yet Riot (the company behind LoL) has other non-disruptive ways to make money, like cosmetics and exp and money boosts.

When it comes down to it, buying champions costs a small fortune, and thats all that matters to be a disgusting F2P game as far as I'm concerned. I don't think you could buy every champions for 500$. Why does ANY game with ANYTHING like this stands as acceptable is beyond me. I don't want to hear the "you can get it if you play a heck of a lot" crap either. Excuses nothing.

Seriously. We need these ridiculous F2P models to die. Not to excuse them.

Many full priced games have large time sink requirements to get to content and unlocks. NG+ Special characters, weapons and bosses etc.
---
Type into Google - do a barrel roll
#83xpiritflarePosted 8/22/2014 8:37:40 PM
Why do these LoL debates always
1) include high-level play as if it were the only place it mattered to have equilibrium because I'm pretty sure low-skilled players want to have a fair fight against other low-skilled players.
2) have one side of the argument ignore that even the slightest potential advantage one can get from paying for something is still a slight potential advantage. 0.01% does not equal 0.00%.
3) have people forget that some people like options, this extends to having complete flexibility with the full roster. Not everybody plays SF4 and picks Ryu every game.

Dota 2 does it right. LoL doesn't do it as good but they do it better than most others.
---
Yeah. "I'm going to turn back time an hour. It'll take about an hour." - AnnaBananaa
#84codyorrPosted 8/22/2014 8:42:28 PM
They were worth trying? Damn, I miss Starcraft: Brood War.
---
"I'd kill to go back to not knowing what was in the 21st Century."
#85Dante200XPosted 8/23/2014 12:24:29 AM(edited)
Literally nobody has mentioned Smite yet, but people mentioned DOTA2 and LoL? For shame...

Smite is a very solid MOBA-esque game but you're not in the typical RTS view format, instead it's third person and almost everything is a skill shot - with all the benefits (aiming/prediction is very important) and negatives (same thing) that brings.

EDIT: And somewhere on their website you can still pay a flat $20 (or was it 30?) for every single God in the game currently and every FUTURE one that will be released. Deal of the century for most F2P games not including Valve's stuff.
---
Solid's snake still shoots liquid, it's just that it's null.
#86anonymous46773Posted 8/23/2014 4:30:43 AM(edited)
But why make this point? Pay-only champions would be justified by your argument.

Unless you feel it would be unfair for players to have access to champions you don't because they paid money?

So it doesn't come up as it often does in these sorts of arguments. It wouldn't be so much a problem as just a dick move.

Nope.

And yeah, Smite is pretty great. I don't have a lot of experience in it, but it was fun from what I played.
---
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
#87jake-sfPosted 8/23/2014 8:21:38 AM
Dante200X posted...
Literally nobody has mentioned Smite yet, but people mentioned DOTA2 and LoL? For shame...

Smite is a very solid MOBA-esque game but you're not in the typical RTS view format, instead it's third person and almost everything is a skill shot - with all the benefits (aiming/prediction is very important) and negatives (same thing) that brings.

EDIT: And somewhere on their website you can still pay a flat $20 (or was it 30?) for every single God in the game currently and every FUTURE one that will be released. Deal of the century for most F2P games not including Valve's stuff.

Its 30$ now, I think they had a 20$ deal before.

I agree, its literally one of the only F2P MOBA with a price thats actually fair. More than fair, actually.

Its impossible to defend LoL next to that price tag.
---
http://sfjake.zxq.net/
#88Killah PriestPosted 8/23/2014 8:31:37 AM
I'm currently enjoying Defiance and Warframe.

Tried a bit of firefall and that seemed alright.
---
Laugh, and the world laughs with you. Weep, and you weep alone.
The armory of god is guarding me but all you can see is holographic artistry.
#89Edavy89Posted 8/23/2014 8:48:51 AM
You are all missing the real reason why LoL is bad, the community is more toxic than Botulinum toxin.
#90Cobra152004Posted 8/23/2014 8:52:56 AM
Warzone 2100, an RTS from 1999, is free:
http://wz2100.net/
It's also on Desura:
http://www.desura.com/games/warzone-2100