This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Everyones A Gamer Now

#11GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 12:25:45 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Read the topic: Everyone is gay now.

And I am like "yeah pretty much."

i second this
---
NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS3+2, XBOX360, WII+GC, WIIU and a gaming PC with a library of over 1000 games for over 15 years
I dare you to ever call me a casual gamer
#12urukhai2005Posted 8/22/2014 12:30:21 PM
That's just casual gaming on mobile devices.
---
"Nothing is impossible when you have complete control of the environment..."
#13dunkisPosted 8/22/2014 1:08:11 PM
Ugh I hate when we have to talk about something as arbitrary as labels. We're so anal about a specification, a line, a threshold, a list of criteria to be something that we made up. We forget the whole point of labels in the first place. I classify people only for the sake of simplifying one's person so that if I were to talk to another person, I could quickly describe someone in few words and the other person could make safe assumptions based on the label as we commonly accept them. So, if I call someone a gamer, the other person would pretty much assume "oh, they probably play games as a main hobby." To that effect, I wouldn't call everyone a gamer using the article's definition. And I get annoyed if someone calls him/herself a gamer if they only play casual games. Not because I have some silly notions about what is a real game or not, but because it's just de facto labeling. Like, just because I like to play a couple pickup games or go biking, I wouldn't call myself an athlete because the general understanding of an athlete just doesn't fit me well.
---
NNID: TheDunc | Steam: Sir Soyeldimzelf
#14CovenantPosted 8/22/2014 1:56:27 PM
The gaming population changes over time and you eventually stop being the core demographic and the terminology no longer describes you. Pretty soon it will have been a decade since I stopped being a "gamer".
#15GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 3:11:52 PM
I feel like this is just an unfortunality that has come with our culture as a whole

first, geeks, nerds, gamers, whatever, were a small group, and all outcasts, whom found peace with eachother

then some "geek" stuff started being more popular, mostly thanks to the NES and starwars and stuff, but was still a minority

thanks now to crap like mobile games, BBT, the IT crowd, among other things, geek culture and games have leaked so far into everything, it is the main culture

I will paraphrase a specific villain here when i say "when everyone is a geek/nerd/gamer, no one will be"
---
NES, SNES, N64, PS1, PS3+2, XBOX360, WII+GC, WIIU and a gaming PC with a library of over 1000 games for over 15 years
#1619eighty7Posted 8/22/2014 3:45:04 PM
HighOnPhazon posted...
Everyone is gay now.
#17DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/22/2014 7:46:22 PM
RpgRagnarok posted...
I don't see why anyone should be affected by this?
Gaming has become so common in our generation now, I don't see the point of defining a person as a "gamer"
Just like you don't describe a person who listens to music alot as "Listener" or a person who watches TV alot a "Watcher"
All of these are a form of mainstream entertainment that everyone enjoys

You call people who skate skaters. You call people who hunt hunters. It's a pretty common form of hobby labeling.

Music and TV are entirely passive and non participatory, and as such, don't fit that particular wording.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#18GoIdenAce(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 9:31:03 AM
DarkZV2Beta posted...
RpgRagnarok posted...
I don't see why anyone should be affected by this?
Gaming has become so common in our generation now, I don't see the point of defining a person as a "gamer"
Just like you don't describe a person who listens to music alot as "Listener" or a person who watches TV alot a "Watcher"
All of these are a form of mainstream entertainment that everyone enjoys

You call people who skate skaters. You call people who hunt hunters. It's a pretty common form of hobby labeling.

Music and TV are entirely passive and non participatory, and as such, don't fit that particular wording.

i blame smart phones
---
#19LaManoNeraIIPosted 8/23/2014 9:37:54 AM
The need to play is an inherent human trait. It's programmed into our DNA. It's the most efficient way for us to learn and grow
---
R.I.P LaManoNera
04-06-2009