This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is my CPU too hot?

#21slyman19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 4:53:00 PM
If I were to remove my CPU cooler and remount it to see if that's the problem, would I have to reapply the thermal paste?

Here's a random Crew Beta key also. 4VAK-JCTM-3TG6-R8WN
#22FaendrylPosted 8/26/2014 5:01:49 PM
There are 5 thermal sensors in a 4 core processor; a single Analog sensor (CPU temperature) and 4 individual Digital sensors (Core temperatures). Intel's specification, Tcase, is measured on the surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader at lab conditions at 22C Standard Ambient. For lab testing, a groove is cut into the surface of the IHS where a thermocouple is embedded at the center. Consumer cpu's don't have a milled IHS obviously.

Intel CPUs determine thermal throttling and thermal shut down based on the core temperature. As the temps for cores rise(average) a sensor counts down to 0. This is max safe operating temperature, TJ Max. This is where the cpu throttles. For Haswell it is around 100-105C.

Thermal shutdown is controlled by signal THERMTRIP. it is approximately 25-30c above TJ Max. For Haswell this would be 125-130C.

I know people say to keep cpu package low, but even in hwinfo64 what you see as the package temperature is not the real package temperature.

"Since there is no thermocouple on any processors outside Intel's labs in the wholesale or retail outlets, a single Analog Thermal Diode is instead used to "emulate" a thermocouple. This single Analog sensor is located in the center of the lower layers of the processor package and is called "CPU" temperature, which is the equivalent of "Tcase".

The Analog value is converted to Digital (A to D) by the Super I/O (Input / Output) chip on the motherboard, then is calibrated to look-up tables coded into BIOS, which are all too often inaccurate. This is the temperature you see in BIOS and in monitoring utilities such as AI Suite II or OC Panel, which are provided by motherboard manufacturers."
-- Intel Temperature Guide - by CompuTronix
---
4790K@4.8GHz Delid | Gigabyte Z97 Gaming GT | G.Skill 16GB | MSI R7950 TF3 1200/1575 Crossfire | EVGA 1300W G2 | Cosmos S
http://eq.magelo.com/profile/907670
#23PsythikPosted 8/26/2014 5:32:10 PM
slyman19 posted...
If I were to remove my CPU cooler and remount it to see if that's the problem, would I have to reapply the thermal paste?
Yes.

And if you so happen to have another key, I'll pay you for it. PM me.
---
4670K OC | 2GB PNY GTX 770 OC | 8GB 1600 | 120GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Gigabyte Z87MX | EVGA 600w | BitFenix Phenom M | Win8.1 Pro
http://imgur.com/KaTyP5o.jpg
#24slyman19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 7:04:33 PM
I remounted my Hyper Evo and reapplied the thermal paste. Really didn't make a difference. Should I just go back to using my stock fan?
#25WerdnAndreWPosted 8/26/2014 7:15:34 PM
Could be the crappy paste Intel used on the die.
---
Corsair 500r | P8Z68-V Pro | 2500k 4.4ghz | Hyper 212+ | Corsair 2x4gb | TX750w v2 | MSI 780 Lightning | 1TB HDD | Crucial M4 128GB | Xonar DG | Asus PA248Q
#26slyman19(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 7:21:17 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...
Could be the crappy paste Intel used on the die.

I used the Cooler Master paste that came with the CPU cooler.
#27WerdnAndreWPosted 8/26/2014 7:28:02 PM
Not that, in between the CPU die and heatspreader Intel decided not to use solder but use crappy paste. People have removed the heat spreader and applied better paste with great results.
---
Corsair 500r | P8Z68-V Pro | 2500k 4.4ghz | Hyper 212+ | Corsair 2x4gb | TX750w v2 | MSI 780 Lightning | 1TB HDD | Crucial M4 128GB | Xonar DG | Asus PA248Q
#28DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/26/2014 7:55:17 PM
Faendryl posted...
There are 5 thermal sensors in a 4 core processor; a single Analog sensor (CPU temperature) and 4 individual Digital sensors (Core temperatures). Intel's specification, Tcase, is measured on the surface of the Integrated Heat Spreader at lab conditions at 22C Standard Ambient. For lab testing, a groove is cut into the surface of the IHS where a thermocouple is embedded at the center. Consumer cpu's don't have a milled IHS obviously.

Intel CPUs determine thermal throttling and thermal shut down based on the core temperature. As the temps for cores rise(average) a sensor counts down to 0. This is max safe operating temperature, TJ Max. This is where the cpu throttles. For Haswell it is around 100-105C.

Thermal shutdown is controlled by signal THERMTRIP. it is approximately 25-30c above TJ Max. For Haswell this would be 125-130C.

I know people say to keep cpu package low, but even in hwinfo64 what you see as the package temperature is not the real package temperature.

"Since there is no thermocouple on any processors outside Intel's labs in the wholesale or retail outlets, a single Analog Thermal Diode is instead used to "emulate" a thermocouple. This single Analog sensor is located in the center of the lower layers of the processor package and is called "CPU" temperature, which is the equivalent of "Tcase".

The Analog value is converted to Digital (A to D) by the Super I/O (Input / Output) chip on the motherboard, then is calibrated to look-up tables coded into BIOS, which are all too often inaccurate. This is the temperature you see in BIOS and in monitoring utilities such as AI Suite II or OC Panel, which are provided by motherboard manufacturers."
-- Intel Temperature Guide - by CompuTronix

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html
if anyone wants to read more.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#29DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/26/2014 8:15:57 PM
slyman19 posted...
I remounted my Hyper Evo and reapplied the thermal paste. Really didn't make a difference. Should I just go back to using my stock fan?

Make sure you applied the thermal paste properly.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#30ClouddxPosted 8/26/2014 8:43:47 PM
Dude, you need to apply the thermal paste correctly. I guarentee you that is the problem.

When you apply the thermal paste take a pic and post it on here. We'll tell you if you're doing it correctly.
---
i7-920 @ 3.6 // 770 GTX // 12GB G.Skill Ram // My Setup: https://imgur.com/a/2Gd8M
FiiO e9+17 // AKG Q701 + M50 // Deck 82 // G27 // Qanba Q1 // PS3/360