This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

baldur's gate question

#1cancerstormPosted 8/22/2014 12:32:23 PM
is it normal to get wrecked by wolves early in the game? i made it to the second wilderness part before the friendly arm inn and my party got (abdel, imoen, xzar, montaron) got wrecked by a single dire wolf. imoen died, montaron 1 hp'd, 3 healing potions on abdel

this is my first time playing and i'm on normal difficulty
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#2kobalobasileusPosted 8/22/2014 12:36:49 PM
It's unapologetic AD&D 2E combat. It can be pretty tough at times. Pause frequently to cue-up actions, use Web and Stinking Cloud a lot to prevent enemy actions, and don't be afraid to save scum.
#3PannerPosted 8/22/2014 12:41:07 PM
Depending on what class you chose then yes it's normal.
---
My Youtube vids
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL5BZ91u4U3n8m9L_wykcsw/feed?activity_view=3
#4Hi CPosted 8/22/2014 12:41:46 PM
Learn 2 bow.
#5Davel23Posted 8/22/2014 1:08:52 PM
Kobold commandos... Oh god, kobold commandos.
---
Your mom's box.
#6DieForMotherLandPosted 8/22/2014 1:09:41 PM
How to win early game BG1.

2 tanks (high dex and low AC).
4 range characters.

Done. You should now get through early game without a problem. The game gets harder though once you get out of the mines.
---
Deu > Colm > Volke > Rivis > Patty > Parn > Rennac > Lara
#7Fade2black001Posted 8/22/2014 1:27:44 PM
DieForMotherLand posted...
How to win early game BG1.

2 tanks (high dex and low AC).
4 range characters.

Done. You should now get through early game without a problem. The game gets harder though once you get out of the mines.

One could make the game really easy if they wanted to by abusing the import and export character feature.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#8cancerstorm(Topic Creator)Posted 8/22/2014 2:58:12 PM
i just started the game guys

imoen already ran out of arrows and i didn't give <charname:abdel> a bow

i used up all xzar's spells when going up against that that assassin tarnesh because it seemed appropriate and used that one magic dart thing imoen had.

the way magic is designed in this game (disappears upon usage and need to memorize & rest to use again) seems like a nerf. is this a common fantasy mechanic? because i think in the dragonlance novels, magic is like how it's presented in this d&d game. i'm guessing it can be pretty OP so i should conserve my usage of spells? is resting often bad then?
---
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2996/cancerstorm.jpg
#9HighOnPhazonPosted 8/22/2014 3:38:53 PM
D&D games have a problem of low levels being complete crap. I'm not a fan of the first Baldur's Gate mainly because the first 9 levels of D&D 2.0 are HORRIBLE.

Mages are crap, weak as kittens with very limited spell uses, gimped combat and constitution.

Yes all Wizards/Mages whatever have limited uses per day, you must rest to recover your spells.

It's a really stupid mechanic that I never, ever liked about that system.
---
PC Gaming - The Only Way
i5 3570K / ASRock Z77 Extreme 4 / Patriot Viper 8GB /Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB/ Corsair TX650
#10loseswithluigiPosted 8/22/2014 3:42:09 PM
I've only run into Dire Wolves that early when I was running a BG2 merging mod. I think it messes up the enemy scaling a bit. When the game first came out I would only find standard and winter wolves for a long time. I guess the good thing is that if you survive the initial hardships you'll level pretty fast.