This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Games that you think that gets more praise than they actually deserve.

#101omega_master187Posted 8/23/2014 6:24:29 AM
I think Skyrim personally. It is a great game but does not deserve the credit it got. I found the story boring and the world felt pretty empty (in terms of people) outside a few settlements. I liked it but after playing it through most and doing most of the quests I put it away. I played it PS3 so by the time the dlc came I had already stopped playing.
#102TropicMoon10Posted 8/23/2014 6:25:18 AM
Namord1 posted...
SCREW. DARK SOULS. AND. ITS. SERIES. AND. ITS. MASOCHISTIC. FANS.

The game is only as hard as you are impatient. :P
---
http://i.imgur.com/N9lTE.jpg
#103Skunkdog1Posted 8/23/2014 6:31:07 AM
the walking dead

even compared to other games that i would agree with as being overrated (any given naughty dog game, ocarina of time, FF7, etc.), i can, to an extent, at least understand where people come from when they say they love the game and give it praise. the walking dead however, i just dont get it

the story sucks, forces you to suspend disbelief from several scenarios that could have only happened out of divine intervention, and punishes you with moral absolutism BS towards the end of the game

despite being the selling point of the game, not a single choice you make matters at all or has any lasting impact. choice A might technically be different than choice B, but regardless of what you choose you will converge back to a single story line that was never yours to change like telltale leads you to believe. if an event doesnt occur now, it sure as hell will happen later. you just delay the inevitable.

it costs too much. for such little content with 0 replay value, the asking price of 25 bucks is way too much.

and the fact that it got GOTY from so many people. does anything else need to be said? im sure everyone on this board could field another dozen games from the same year that were better (objectively or otherwise) in every way possible, from story to gameplay to even the cost.

the very existance of this game and the ridiculous amounts of unjust praise it gets causes my blood to boil. it is THE most overrated game ever made and i will hear no one say otherwise.
---
BY FIRE BE PURGED
http://i.imgur.com/51ydFkh.png
#104FRo3tBLo0dPosted 8/23/2014 6:32:55 AM
MindwalkerX posted...
This topic of course is about opinions, so no need for animosity.

I will point The Walking Dead(telltale series) as my choice, apparently the game was praised by a lot of gaming sites, and even got Goty in some occasions, and seeing a game like this being championed so much, shows how this industry has decayed..

I played the entire first season, i enjoyed for what it was, some really cool/tense moments, and the story overall kept me entertained, but that's pretty much it. The gameplay is mediocre at best, and for a game that is fairly short and the graphics being nothing cutting edge, i think the game is kinda overpriced, the whole gameplay part for me was just a chore i had to do to advance in the narrative.

Once again, this is just my view.

Coming at a game about its gameplay when its more about the story doesn't make any sense. Nobody ever praises TWD for its gameplay...
#105Fou LuPosted 8/23/2014 6:33:33 AM
Dragon Age: Origins. I will never understand why people praise it so much, when it is such a terrible game. It makes me wonder if I should play Dragon Age 2 considering how much hate that game gets, it probably means it's far better.
---
I smolder with generic rage.
#106FRo3tBLo0dPosted 8/23/2014 6:36:33 AM
Fou Lu posted...
Dragon Age: Origins. I will never understand why people praise it so much, when it is such a terrible game. It makes me wonder if I should play Dragon Age 2 considering how much hate that game gets, it probably means it's far better.

DA 2 is the biggest cash grab I have ever seen. Origins is one of my favorite games of all time and the second one felt like a slap in the face.
#107beutlich99Posted 8/23/2014 6:41:42 AM
CoD. I can't stand the randomness of certain places that have endlessly spawning enemies and all you have to do is cross some magical barrier vs. the places the game wants you to sit back and eliminate a finite amount of enemies. I know that's nitpicky, but it's been my biggest issue with the entire series.
#108djimenez0628Posted 8/23/2014 6:41:47 AM
Where to start...
---
Tim Bisley (Simon Pegg): As far back as I can remember, I've always wanted to be a graphic artist.
#109paralyzed21Posted 8/23/2014 6:42:28 AM
halo
---
http://www.wearethepanicdivision.com | http://www.facebook.com/thepanicdivision
---
#110heeeee1eeeeePosted 8/23/2014 6:45:13 AM
Not Divinity Original Sin
---
Who needs a SigNaTuRe!