This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Crappy controller support is the worst.

#21ClashtonnPosted 8/23/2014 12:55:29 AM
He's pretty much right. Dualshock controllers have always sucked, until now. The DS4 is pretty great. But it's still no where near as good as the 360 and Xbone controllers.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#22Jedi454Posted 8/23/2014 1:21:51 AM
Unsugarized_Foo posted...
I personally hate PS controllers. My least favorite of any generation.

Haven't tried the DS4 though. The other controllers cramp the hell out of my hand and need to be bigger

Their primary market used to be the Japanese, but they know they make more money in American market now, so they made the Dualshock 4 designed for different hands.
#23youshallbeasgodPosted 8/23/2014 1:24:37 AM
Remember the Dreamcast controller? What a trainwreck, even the cable pops out from the wrong side.
---
Relax, it's just a game.
#24Haley Joel OsmentPosted 8/23/2014 2:04:59 AM
CatToy posted...
Stallion_Prime posted...
God damn microsoft making their controller the main PC gamepad.

I'm not sure you understand. XInput can be utilized by anyone, and is in fact used by nearly all gamepad manufacturers. If you have a problem using your DS4, take it up with Sony for not supporting XInput like the rest of the world.

But that's just wrong. There have only been a small handful of third party XInput controllers, all of which have had the exact same features as the Xbox 360 controller, because that's all XInput supports. If you want to use it, you have to conform to Microsoft's vision of what a controller should be, whereas DirectInput supports any kind of crazy controller layout you could wish for.

---
I see dead people.
#25ClashtonnPosted 8/23/2014 2:06:22 AM
Haley Joel Osment posted...
CatToy posted...
Stallion_Prime posted...

I'm not sure you understand. XInput can be utilized by anyone, and is in fact used by nearly all gamepad manufacturers. If you have a problem using your DS4, take it up with Sony for not supporting XInput like the rest of the world.

But that's just wrong. There have only been a small handful of third party XInput controllers, all of which have had the exact same features as the Xbox 360 controller, because that's all XInput supports. If you want to use it, you have to conform to Microsoft's vision of what a controller should be, whereas DirectInput supports any kind of crazy controller layout you could wish for.

A standard is better, for better game intigration. Otherwise you'd have to map the controls yourself with every game.

MS has the right idea here. And there's NO reason for Sony to not get in line with that, considering their controllers have the same amount of buttons and similar layout.
---
i5 somethingK | GTX 660TI and some letters | Like 8 rams or something| Really Big HDD | Kind of small SDD
#26Pengu1nPosted 8/23/2014 3:34:58 AM
The 360 pad works perfect in sleeping dogs out of the box.
---
FX 6300, HYPER 212 EVO, 16GB DDR3, 7870 GHZ 2GB, 2TB HDD, 64 GB SATA III SSD, 12X BLU RAY, 750W PSU, X-FI FATAL1TY,WINDOWS 7
#27DarkZV2BetaPosted 8/23/2014 3:48:19 AM
CatToy posted...
Stallion_Prime posted...

TBH, Xinput is pretty crappy in some ways. Controller initialization at game startup and not checked after, triggers on the same axis, ect.
Some games don't support Xinput because it makes it more difficult to properly support Dinput.
---
god invented extension cords. -elchris79
Starcraft 2 has no depth or challenge -GoreGross
#28Haley Joel OsmentPosted 8/23/2014 4:11:44 AM
Clashtonn posted...
A standard is better, for better game intigration. Otherwise you'd have to map the controls yourself with every game.

MS has the right idea here. And there's NO reason for Sony to not get in line with that, considering their controllers have the same amount of buttons and similar layout.

Nah, that's complete bollocks. I'd rather spend a couple of minutes remapping my controls in every game than be stuck with a handful of default layouts all designed around the Xbox 360 controller. The whole point of the PC as a platform is supposed to be choice, rather than being locked into something like a single controller and layout. It's baffling to me that anybody wouldn't just not mind, but actively support forcing people to conform to Microsoft's vision of what a controller should be, rather than one they actually like.

Still, we'll have the Steam controller soon enough, and no doubt most games will begin supporting that as standard when it arrives. At least that'll be one other option for people who think the Xbox controllers are garbage.

---
I see dead people.
#29ClashtonnPosted 8/23/2014 4:14:55 AM
Haley Joel Osment posted...
Clashtonn posted...

Nah, that's complete bollocks. I'd rather spend a couple of minutes remapping my controls in every game than be stuck with a handful of default layouts all designed around the Xbox 360 controller. The whole point of the PC as a platform is supposed to be choice, rather than being locked into something like a single controller and layout. It's baffling to me that anybody wouldn't just not mind, but actively support forcing people to conform to Microsoft's vision of what a controller should be, rather than one they actually like.

Still, we'll have the Steam controller soon enough, and no doubt most games will begin supporting that as standard when it arrives. At least that'll be one other option for people who think the Xbox controllers are garbage.

lol that's ridiculous. You CAN map controllers as you'd like. That doesn't mean there shouldn't be a standard. It's the only reason controllers are so widely supported now, where as before more of the time you'd have to map them yourself, and games weren't designed to work with controllers at all so usually controllers would be pointless.
---
#30Stallion_Prime(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 8:25:04 AM
Wow
---
Metal Gear Rising made me the man I am today.