This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Ultra wide vs. 1440p vs. 144 hz

• Topic Archived
You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. Sign Up for free (or Log In if you already have an account) to be able to post messages, change how messages are displayed, and view media in posts.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ultra wide vs. 1440p vs. 144 hz

User Info: Chargers_31

Chargers_31
2 years ago#1
If you were to buy a monitor, which of these things would be the most important to you, and why?

I have 5 or 6 year old Dell monitor that hasn't aged terribly (24", 1080p), but I was thinking of upgrading at some point, but I don't really know what I want. So, what would YOU get (or what did you get)?

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 years ago#2
Ultrawides are sexy, but I'd be concerned about compatibility.

User Info: Lemur_H

Lemur_H
2 years ago#3
21:9

Had one, loved it.

User Info: cainism25

cainism25
2 years ago#4
1440p overclcoked to 110hz.

bye now. ::hugs my qnix i bought 2 years ago for $280 free ship no tax::
2500k @ 4.8ghz ~

User Info: Garquill

Garquill
2 years ago#5
144hz by far
amazing framerate is way better for me than more pixels.
"Education is what remains after one has forgotten everything he learned in school." ~ A. Einstein

User Info: KaiserWarrior

KaiserWarrior
2 years ago#6
144hz.

Wide is nice, but there's a point where it's too wide. I don't like having to pan my eyes around to see the full image.

1440p is nice, but it can be made up for by throwing Anti-Aliasing on a lower-res image.

There is no replacement for a refresh rate that supports buttery-smooth rendering with no screen tearing and no syncing necessary.

That being said, whycantwehaveboth.jpg. Asus PG278Q offers 2560x1440@144hz.

User Info: dlf

dlf
2 years ago#7
1440p (IPS?) in front and 144hz perhaps as a side monitor.
I have built http://pcpartpicker.com/p/gFKkgs - Minus a few parts (monitor @ moment). Screw trying to record video (on PC).
The cranky hermit 2 years ago#8

I want an Ultrawide bad. And I'm not concerned about compatibility - you can always pillarbox your games that you just can't get working in ultrawide.
http://thecrankyhermit.wikispaces.com/
Year-by-year analysis of the finest gaming has to offer, and (eventually) more!

User Info: DaedalusEx

DaedalusEx
2 years ago#9
The cranky hermit posted...
And I'm not concerned about compatibility - you can always pillarbox your games that you just can't get working in ultrawide.

True, but it might feel like a waste of money if you end up running most of your games like that. It would to me anyway.

User Info: Lemur_H

Lemur_H
2 years ago#10
The cranky hermit posted...

I want an Ultrawide bad. And I'm not concerned about compatibility - you can always pillarbox your games that you just can't get working in ultrawide.

This, and most games I tried on mine worked without much issue. At most, an .ini tweak.
  1. Boards
  2. PC
  3. Ultra wide vs. 1440p vs. 144 hz

Report Message

Terms of Use Violations:

Etiquette Issues:

Notes (optional; required for "Other"):
Add user to Ignore List after reporting

Topic Sticky

You are not allowed to request a sticky.

• Topic Archived