This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Erasing solid state drives (SSDs)

#11Mr Hangman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/23/2014 1:24:03 PM
It's called Samsung Magician, you can get it here:

https://www.samsung.com/global/business/semiconductor/samsungssd/downloads.html
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#12wizardmonPosted 8/24/2014 2:12:35 PM
Additionally, CCleaner has had this feature for a while now.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#13Mr Hangman(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 3:32:30 PM
CCleaner has a drive wiping feature, but nothing customized for SSDs to my knowlege.
---
What senses do we lack that we cannot see and cannot hear another world all around us? -Dune
#14SScorpioPosted 8/24/2014 3:42:39 PM
Use the Linux boot disk Parted Magic: http://partedmagic.com/

It includes a tool called erase disk, one of the options is to trigger an SSD's internal secure wipe.

The internal secure wipe is better than what you got with a normal HDD. Once it's triggered the SSD's controller will wipe the drive as long as it has power. If power is cut, it will pick back up where it left off once it gains power again. Computer forensics people have run into issues because even through they have have special read only SATA cables, the drive will quietly wipe itself with no way to stop it. This is better than running DBAN on an HDD since it's possible to cut power and see pull data from the drive.
#15wizardmonPosted 8/24/2014 3:46:55 PM
Mr Hangman posted...
CCleaner has a drive wiping feature, but nothing customized for SSDs to my knowlege.

When selecting an SSD it tells you that it's really not suggested to use it on a SSD since it goes over every single address on it writing them all to zero. Additionally, it only lets you select one pass since SSDs don't suffer from data impression like an HDD does since it is digital and not analog.

That's why I say it has a SSD secure erase feature in it, and I'm pretty sure most first party methods like Intels do the same thing as CCleaner does it.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#16Orestes417Posted 8/24/2014 3:49:45 PM
More than one pass of zeros is overkill for practical purposes anyway. If you're dealing with people with the resources to get data back from that then the drive needs to be degaussed, shredded or lathered in thermite.
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.