This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Is an Alienware worth it?

#112Dhas_a_MIGRANEPosted 8/24/2014 6:10:37 AM
If desktop, build it yourself. Post a budget and we can help.

If laptop, they aren't really overpriced compared to other gaming laptops
---
3DS: 5472-7481-8922
#12chrono625Posted 8/24/2014 6:13:58 AM
2Dhas_a_MIGRANE posted...
If desktop, build it yourself. Post a budget and we can help.

If laptop, they aren't really overpriced compared to other gaming laptops

Yeah but you certainly do not want a laptop when it comes to video/3D editing and modeling and stuff like that.
---
http://tinyurl.com/7wjgorf - Super Bowl XXI/XXV/XLII/XLVI Champions - NY Giants
Eli Manning SB tracker: 2/2 Superbowls 2/2 SBMVP's
#13LvthnPosted 8/24/2014 6:31:29 AM
Alienware is a great way for peasants to feel first smug, then regret.

Build one. A few hours of self education will save you money and change how you think about computers.
#14AzSchmazPosted 8/24/2014 6:52:30 AM
I'd say build one for the self-satisfaction of making something of your own accord.
Let's not even get into the realms of discussion of it being a way more cost-effective route to reaching your computing needs...
---
"As you think, so shall you become."
#15lazycomplifePosted 8/24/2014 7:11:19 AM
lol alienware
---
Official Swinub - 3DS Friend Code: 0602-6783-9027
Steam/PSN/Nintendo ID: Sythierius
#16Sephiroth311Posted 8/24/2014 7:17:38 AM
They aren't terrible...they do the job but they aren't the power houses they are advertised as being. The top end Alienware will PLAY every game available at the moment and will cope with the tasks you mentioned however you'll struggle trying to max out most of the latest and upcoming games.

As most people have said you can build one for as much as half what you would pay for an Alienware and it will very easily surpass the Alienware's capabilities. Pretty much the only thing they have going for them is the nice case.
---
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!
#17EciDemonPosted 8/24/2014 7:32:55 AM
Maybe not as bad as people make it out to be but still not worth it, maybe back in the day before they were acquired by dell.

Look at the Entry Aurora at 1500$ it got an Ivy-E cpu and an Amd R9 270, this could be balanced better for better overall performance.

A custom design asetek closed loop water cooler. This is good, but then they put these tiny high rpm fans to cool the chipset and vrm and I see at least two of them so it is not a quiet system by any means >_>

Cable management is nice and tidy so thats a plus.
This being dell they might be using non standard connectors from psu to motherboard as dell has been a big fan of doing stuff like that before.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti SLI | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion | Ps3/360/Ps4 |
#18BrutaI_DeluxePosted 8/24/2014 7:45:02 AM
Building your own computer is far, far cheaper and better.

If you're worried about it, I'm sure we can find a site that will actually put it together for you that's fairly cheap and most people here do know how to build PCs just fine so they'll help pick out a good build for you that's good for your budget.
---
If I've pissed you off/offended you/upset you see this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy6DwHAi70
#19ATARIJAWAPosted 8/24/2014 7:48:36 AM
EciDemon posted...
Maybe not as bad as people make it out to be but still not worth it, maybe back in the day before they were acquired by dell.

Look at the Entry Aurora at 1500$ it got an Ivy-E cpu and an Amd R9 270, this could be balanced better for better overall performance.

A custom design asetek closed loop water cooler. This is good, but then they put these tiny high rpm fans to cool the chipset and vrm and I see at least two of them so it is not a quiet system by any means >_>

This being dell they might be using non standard connectors from psu to motherboard as dell has been a big fan of doing stuff like that before.

if you're spending that kind of money you don't go AMD.
---
Gamefaqs game rating system : 10 = Best Game Ever. 8-9. Crushing dissapointment. Below 8 :Total Garbage. This is getting ridiculous. people agreeing so far 117
#20EciDemonPosted 8/24/2014 7:55:16 AM
ATARIJAWA posted...
EciDemon posted...

if you're spending that kind of money you don't go AMD.

Ah but you can get nVidia as well :D
Check this out:
You can spend $2,718.00 and get same cpu, two Gtx 770 2gb in SLI, 16gb ram instead of 8, a small SSD and 1tb hdd instead of a 2tb hdd.
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti SLI | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion | Ps3/360/Ps4 |