This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

GPU problems again...

#1MrtyuPosted 8/24/2014 7:13:54 AM
I asked about a sound yesterday and I thought I came to the conclusion of it being fan vibrations but I've since further tested and found that to be unlikely.

The sound will only happen on games, it won't happen from general internet browsing, application usage or bench marking. When I unplug my HDMI the sound stops almost immediately and starts when I plug it back in, the sound has since gotten louder and now sounds more electrical like a crackling or buzzing. Finally I stopped the fan and the sound still persists which has lead me to believe it not to be vibrations, at this stage I think i'll just RMA again but was wondering if anyone had a clue of what it is and whether its harmful to my computer for future reference.
#2IzicialPosted 8/24/2014 7:18:06 AM
Try and get a stress test program and see if it still does it.
---
Check out my SL 1 playthrough of Dark Souls II on my channel Izzy Games.
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL19gU5IpjVkl-9LtY2ASx8ouTspMrGfN_
#3Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 7:22:03 AM
Would furmark be considered a stress test program? If so that's what I've been using, the sound is coming from the left side of the gpu closest to the motherboard and from inspection the only thing around there is capacitors.
#4IzicialPosted 8/24/2014 8:04:52 AM
If nothings touching it, its not the fans, and everything is properly seated then I would just RMA it.
---
#5Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 8:41:32 AM
I didn't want to do that as they take so long to do it and I've already done it once with this card but I guess I have no other choice, AMD has been really disappointing for my first build so far.
#6IzicialPosted 8/24/2014 8:43:18 AM
It may be your only choice. Have you googled your card and that noise?

Perhaps its a common problem with your card.
---
#7Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 8:53:28 AM
It pretty much sounds like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tG2_Wu6oO0c

from the comments on the forum where it was posted it is coil whine but I've only ever heard of coil whine being high pitched. On all other forums where I've found similar issues to mine its either fan issues, coil whine or just RMA'd. Some people mention burning it in but from my knowledge this problem is new and I've had the card for a number of months already.
#8Lord_VaderPosted 8/24/2014 9:12:36 AM
What are the temps on the card when you play games? I don't know about AMD but EVGA has a program that let's you monitor the GPU temp. The fans may be going crazy because the temperatures are too high in which case the heat sink might be screwed up.
---
Live long and prosper.
#9Mrtyu(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 9:16:22 AM
Lord_Vader posted...
What are the temps on the card when you play games? I don't know about AMD but EVGA has a program that let's you monitor the GPU temp. The fans may be going crazy because the temperatures are too high in which case the heat sink might be screwed up.

My temperatures are fine as is my performance according to furmark. I've checked temps on AI Suite, OpenHWM, HWM and Speccy all of which report the same thing.
#10EciDemonPosted 8/24/2014 9:46:30 AM
Hey again.

Like I said before, I have only ever experienced high pitched coil whine, so if it isn't the fan then I dunno.

Coil whine is caused by vibrations in the capacitors or coils as they hit resonant frequencies of those parts. Maybe it can hit lower frequencies too I dunno. But to me it makes sense coil whine being associated with high pitched noises.

I found a few possible fixes.

Change your power cables.
Got another PSU around?, try that one instead.

One guy let his computer run crysis for three nights in a row at the menu where he experienced his coil whine the worse. After that it went away.
Might be worth a try before RMA

Cover up the caps and coils with clear nail polish as described here:
http://theovalich.wordpress.com/2008/11/24/nvidias-deadly-flaw-and-how-to-fix-it-no-more-gtx280-squealing/
This will void warranty.

But before you do anything, make very sure you know where the sound comes from as it may be from your mother board as they can coil whine too.

To help you do this turn off the case fans and take a piece of paper and roll it up into a "tube" and use that to listen through, that way you can more easily isolate the listening area.

I once went through the trouble to change out a PSU fan when it turned out it was actually a small fan on the mother board that was making a racket and i listened really carefully in the case lol
---
| Gigabyte GTX 780 Ti SLI | i7 2600K @4.6Ghz |
| Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 | 16GB DDR3 1600 | X-Fi Titanium champion | Ps3/360/Ps4 |