This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can Itunes detect music on cd and store it on your hardrive?

#11Garage_ManPosted 8/24/2014 3:36:21 PM
I would use EAC. It will rip to some of the desired formats and it is bit perfect. There might be better utilities but its free and fairly easy to get going.
#12PraetorXynPosted 8/24/2014 6:22:35 PM
Garage_Man posted...
I would use EAC. It will rip to some of the desired formats and it is bit perfect. There might be better utilities but its free and fairly easy to get going.

The main problem with EAC is that it's slower than Christmas.

To test, I took EAC and dBpoweramp and configured them to securely rip, use all the same naming formats, substitution characters, etc. so I could use EAC for cue sheets.

I ripped a CD into FLAC with EAC, which took about 15-20 minutes on a Plextor PX230A I have in an external USB enclosure.

I took those files and converted them to WAV, then copied them to a standalone folder.

I repeated this with dBpoweramp, which took 1-2 minutes, then I used foobar2000 to compare each rip WAV to WAV, and the audio signatures matched exactly.

My ripping procedure is basically:
1. Open up EAC, press F4, then F3 when that's done.
2. In dBpoweramp, use perfect meta to fill in the metadata properly (the only thing I do manually usually is add composer information).
3. Rip with dBpoweramp.
4. Open up foobar2000, then select the newly ripped album and use text utilities to export the track titles to the clipboard.
5. Go to EAC, then tell it to retrieve CD info from clipboard, so the track titles match exactly.
6. Make sure the Album name, genre, and year are right in EAC (though it only affects cue sheet comments)
7. Use EAC to generate cue sheet.

As a verification step the first time I did this, I re-burned the CD using EAC burning the FLAC files directly with the cue sheet, then I re-ripped it and compared the WAV files again, they matched exactly.
---
Console war in a nutshell:
http://imgur.com/xA6GJZ9.png
#13Garage_ManPosted 8/24/2014 6:34:08 PM
How dare you insult Christmas like that! It took me days to rip my collection the first time! Now I just update my library usually 5 disks a month.

Anyways is the only way to try this program to buy it? I am more than willing to pay for it (I do have jRiver media center after all).

I am also fairly new to this so I will not pretend to know everything about it. I just wish my freaking Pioneer 80PRS supported FLAC so I didn't have to deal with WAV.
#14PraetorXynPosted 8/25/2014 3:07:59 PM
Garage_Man posted...
How dare you insult Christmas like that! It took me days to rip my collection the first time! Now I just update my library usually 5 disks a month.

Anyways is the only way to try this program to buy it? I am more than willing to pay for it (I do have jRiver media center after all).

I am also fairly new to this so I will not pretend to know everything about it. I just wish my freaking Pioneer 80PRS supported FLAC so I didn't have to deal with WAV.

No, you can download a fully featured trial that lasts 30 days IIRC. It's not terribly expensive as far as software goes, and when you buy it you generally get a free upgrade to the next major release.

It seems like you should be able to update firmware or something on that Pioneer to make it play FLAC, but I don't have a real sound system other than my DAC/AMP + headphones and a couple of Pioneer speakers I haven't bothered wiring up because I move so much.
---
#15Garage_ManPosted 8/25/2014 3:37:09 PM
Okay I will download the trail later. I still haven't got EAC setup because I redid windows. This would be an excuse to replace it.

Nope, Pioneers flagship "audiophile" deck does NOT support flac in any way whatsoever. I think it is funny myself. Lower end units do, but not this? Oh well, it was the only way to get a simple DSP setup.

I am thinking about getting a new DAC/Amp setup, what do you run?
#16PraetorXynPosted 8/26/2014 8:58:07 AM
Garage_Man posted...
Okay I will download the trail later. I still haven't got EAC setup because I redid windows. This would be an excuse to replace it.

Nope, Pioneers flagship "audiophile" deck does NOT support flac in any way whatsoever. I think it is funny myself. Lower end units do, but not this? Oh well, it was the only way to get a simple DSP setup.

I am thinking about getting a new DAC/Amp setup, what do you run?

Right now I run a combo unit, the Audio-gd NFB 11.32. The NFB 11 is the newer version of it apparently.
---