This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I ask you, PCH, are SSDs a good archival solution?

#1kobalobasileusPosted 8/24/2014 12:21:06 PM
I've been pondering the best way to go about backing up my data. Currently I use a regular old magnetic platter drive, but I know those are prone to failure due to their moving parts.

SSDs DON'T have moving parts, so theoretically they should be great for archiving without the need for many redundant copies because the failure rate should be much lower.

Is this actually the case? Do SSDs have a lower failure rate than magnetic platter drives (provided you're not constantly re-writing and using up write cycles)?
#2Loserman15Posted 8/24/2014 12:23:25 PM
If an SSD is going to break, it's most likely to break very early.
---
Network Administrator with a desire to be creative. A+ and Network+ certified and an avid gamer.
GTX 760 | i7 3770K @ 4.5ghz.
#3Fade2black001Posted 8/24/2014 12:25:03 PM
That is true but its cheaper to use a mechanical drive. If you are not using the HDD much at all it should last a great while.
---
We're Americans! We don't quit just because we're wrong.
We just keep doing the wrong thing until it turns out right.
#4PhilOnDezPosted 8/24/2014 12:33:07 PM
The lifespan of TLC SSDs (AKA the affordable ones) isn't terribly long, about 15 years. Maybe that's long enough for your situation, maybe not. MLC drives should last about 60 years which should be long enough for any individual but they're still extremely expensive and if you're wanting to pass something on to your grandchildren then that won't cut it.

If you want long term storage that will always be readable go with tape. The tapes themselves barely have moving parts so if something breaks you can just move the actual tape to a new reel. If the reader breaks you can just buy a new one. Of course, this is going to be the most expensive option, the readers start at $3000 for the entry level ones. This makes sense for businesses since for the price of a single 1TB drive you can pick up dozens of terabytes worth of tapes, but for an individual you can buy 90TB worth of HDDs for massive redundancy for just what the reader would cost which could be 9 redundant copies of 10TB worth of data.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#5WerdnAndreWPosted 8/24/2014 12:36:53 PM
How much data do you need to backup?
---
Corsair 500r ~ P8Z68-V Pro ~ i5 2500k ~ Hyper 212+ ~ Corsair 2x4gb ~ TX750w v2 ~ MSI 780 TF ~ F3 1TB ~ Crucial M4 128GB ~ Xonar DG ~ Tt Meka G1 ~ Asus PA248Q
#6Orestes417Posted 8/24/2014 12:37:35 PM
If you want tape, keep an eye on ebay
---
Your problem is you've spent your whole life thinking there are rules. There aren't. We used to be gorillas.
#7wizardmonPosted 8/24/2014 3:11:06 PM
If you aren't writing to it often, like a bi-weekly backup it will either die within the first week like most faulty SSDs do, or outlast a HDD by a long time. (of course, assuming propor trim settings and such.)

I'd suggest getting a Intel 730 or Samsung 840/850 pro in raid 1 if you want 20+ year storage.
---
I think I'm the only person on gamefaqs with a daughterboard - ToastyOne
New with a moderation history more plentiful than karma. - Fossil (Moderator)
#8kobalobasileus(Topic Creator)Posted 8/26/2014 9:23:29 PM
WerdnAndreW posted...
How much data do you need to backup?

I don't have a whole lot of data by most people's standards. I don't have an exact number, but I'm sure it's less than 4TB.

However, if I had a huge, low-maintenance solution, I'd start ripping my old console game discs to isos in order to preserve them (I read an article about CD rot last week, and now I'm paranoid).
#9chase1234lifePosted 8/26/2014 9:29:14 PM
Have you consider a NAS?

Just an example:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822122133&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=PPSSPRONASDISKPP-_-22-122-133-_-Product
---
http://www.last.fm/user/chasewolf
J.O.B. Squad 4 life
#10SythisTaruPosted 8/26/2014 9:39:10 PM
Never keep anything that you can't walk away from in 5 minutes.