This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Steam Games Transfer Physical to Digital Question Help Me pls !????

#1urukhai2005Posted 8/24/2014 12:11:10 PM
I recently was messing with steam and found a button on the bottom left of screen
it says "+ ADD A GAME" ( i thought maybe i could use my key from game to transfer to digital but it takes make to programs list)

i don't have a disk drive.
How can i play my old Disk based games? i got Rome total war games.
Can i simply use my game keys to get digital games from steam so i can get the digital downloads???
---
"Nothing is impossible when you have complete control of the environment..."
#2ShubPosted 8/24/2014 12:26:12 PM
There's no guarantee that a game key you have can be redeemed on Steam. You can try, though. The "Activate a product" option is what you're looking for.
If a game won't activate that way on Steam, then you're going to have to use the disc like in the good old days. And if you don't have a disc drive, well, you made your bed by getting a computer without an optical drive :)
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#3Death_BornPosted 8/24/2014 12:35:34 PM
You can enter the CD key for some games via Games > Activate a Product on Steam.

If it's an EA game you can activate it on Origin or contact support to activate it (I think).

If it doesn't activate you will have to re-buy on Steam.
#4JKatarnPosted 8/24/2014 1:25:36 PM
There's a relatively small list of retail games that will activate on Steam, if you google "retail games that can activate on Steam" or something similar you should find the official page.
---
Asus P8Z68-V LE | Core i7 2600K | 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 | Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 Windforce OC
PS3 | PS2 | PSP| Wii | 3DS | DS | X-Box 360 | X-Box | NES
#5urukhai2005(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 1:45:07 PM
Death_Born posted...
You can enter the CD key for some games via Games > Activate a Product on Steam.

If it's an EA game you can activate it on Origin or contact support to activate it (I think).

IT WORKS!!!

ROME TOTAL WAR I got (almost 15yrs ago) lol

THANK YOU guys
---
"Nothing is impossible when you have complete control of the environment..."
#6godslayer1975Posted 8/24/2014 5:36:34 PM
I just did it with shadow harvest , bought it for $2 at sears and put in the activation code and it downloaded from steam instead of from disk
---
Ps4 is the console of consoles and the x1 is good also but We Want Games .
#7joeman6Posted 8/25/2014 4:56:15 AM
urukhai2005 posted...
Death_Born posted...

IT WORKS!!!

THANK YOU guys

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome:_Total_War

Right 15 years ago.
---
P151SM1 | i7 4700MQ | GTX 770M | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3
PSN: pluto-3_ Xbox GT and Steam: NinjaPainis
#8Mordecai the MadPosted 8/26/2014 3:27:17 AM
joeman6 posted...
urukhai2005 posted...
Death_Born posted...

IT WORKS!!!

THANK YOU guys

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rome:_Total_War

Right 15 years ago.

In the grand scheme, 10 years is almost 15 years.
---
Welcome to GameFAQS, where almost every post is a competition to see who can be the biggest jackass before anybody else.