This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

is this build good value for money?

#1corridor89Posted 8/24/2014 4:10:00 PM
I have never tried building my own pc and i actually had almost no knowledge about pc parts until a little bit of research from today. it wasn't an extensive research so i would really appreciate it if anyone can recommend me a better build at a cheaper price. Or tweaks i can make here and there to make this a better build.

CPU: NEW! Intel Core i7 4790
CPU Cooler: Zalman CNPS10X Optima
Operating System: Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
Motherboard: NEW! Gigabyte Z97P-D3
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333mhz (2x4GB)
Hard Drive: NEW! Corsair 128GB Neutron SSD
Secondary Hard Drive: 1TB S-ATAIII 6.0Gb/s
Optical Drive: 22x DVD±RW DL S-ATA
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB
Sound card: Onboard 7.1 Audio
Case: NEW! Corsair Carbide Spec-01
PSU: 500W PSU
Warranty: 3 Year SureCare Warranty

Additional Items:
Keyboards: Zalman ZM-K200M Multimedia Keyboard £6.99
Monitors: LG 21.5" 22M35A LED £87.79
Mice: Gigabyte M6800 Multimedia Mouse £10.99
Speakers: Gigabyte S2000 speakers £9.99

Product Subtotal:
£840.24
That includes delivery and building the pc for me from DinoPc
#2phantasyPosted 8/24/2014 4:11:45 PM
drop to an i5 and get a 760
---
[This message was FORCEFULLY deleted by a moderator or administrator]
#3corridor89(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 4:28:05 PM
phantasy posted...
drop to an i5 and get a 760

im trying to make a build around the i7
#4ShubPosted 8/24/2014 4:32:57 PM
Looks like you're getting a fancy aftermarket cooler, presumably with the intent of overclocking the CPU, as well as a motherboard that allows such overclocking, but the i7-4790 can't be overclocked.
Overall I'm not convinced this is a great value for £840, especially with a rather weak GTX 750 Ti. It's not a bad card, it's just a bit out of place in an i7 build. I also hate seeing "500W PSU" because it doesn't tell you what brand or model of PSU you're getting, meaning you're probably getting a piece of junk.
---
-What is best in life?
-To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.
#5corridor89(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 5:14:05 PM
Shub posted...
Looks like you're getting a fancy aftermarket cooler, presumably with the intent of overclocking the CPU, as well as a motherboard that allows such overclocking, but the i7-4790 can't be overclocked.
Overall I'm not convinced this is a great value for £840, especially with a rather weak GTX 750 Ti. It's not a bad card, it's just a bit out of place in an i7 build. I also hate seeing "500W PSU" because it doesn't tell you what brand or model of PSU you're getting, meaning you're probably getting a piece of junk.

honestly i have no idea about overclocking. i just went for the cheapest cooler and motherboard that was available in the list.

pretty much did the same with the graphics card, just went for the cheapest decent (2gb) option. My main purpose for this PC is to just have a very fast computer that wouldn't crash or have any hiccups. Main purposes will be browsing the net and watching HD movies and TV shows. I do not intend to play games on the highest settings, just enough to run modern games and enjoy them. But i would like to be able to play the games coming out in 2018/19 (if the pc is still working) even at decent setting. But right now i actually want to play old games like skyrim and witcher etc.
#6corridor89(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 5:53:31 PM
Bump before I go sleep.
#7PhilOnDezPosted 8/24/2014 5:58:59 PM
It comes with a cooler that's adequate for stock speeds so you can drop the aftermarket one. I agree that you should drop to an i5 and get a 760. You mentioned 'value' in the topic title and that's the absolute last thing the i7 provides for gaming. Go for something like a 4590. You could also go cheaper on the motherboard since that's intel's most premium chipset and you won't likely be needing any of its additional features in a gaming build.
---
Every time I try to go where I really wanna be it's already where I am, 'cuz I'm already there
XBL, PSN, Steam, Origin, BSN, GFAQs, MC: PhilOnDez
#8corridor89(Topic Creator)Posted 8/24/2014 10:49:17 PM(edited)
I don't quite understand what you mean by i7 does not provide value for gaming. Would it not make my pc run faster and smoother? Especially while gaming?

The r9 280x is only £40 more than the 760. Shall I just upgrade to that instead? If so, would the i5 be still enough. The main reason I wanted to go for the i7 is to keep the PC future proof or am I going about it the wrong way? I am still an amateur and my knowledge is very basic atm.

If I do use the 280x shall I still drop the cooling system?
#9Sora_AnbuPosted 8/24/2014 10:53:40 PM
Drop the cooler, go to an i5, get the 280x.

If you want to play the Witcher 3 at decent frames... Eh who knows. But an i7 isn't going to 'future proof' your computer.

Honestly for how much you're spending you could get a much better rig building it yourself.
---
Dood... http://wp.me/1EBnQ KC
"The best thing to happen to Linux is the release of Vista." Jack
#10mrtywerPosted 8/24/2014 10:54:56 PM
I would say yes, going for an i7 right now is spending that extra ~100 or so pounds on a concept - Hyperthreading. Yes, it DOES have real-world benefits... if you use multi-threaded applications. A lot of editing software uses multiple threads to render, and things along that line. However, games today use less than 4 cores, so a quad-core i5 is a much more cost-effective way than using the hyper-threaded i7 series. The 280x is a good card, Slightly less powerful than a GTX 770. If you're willing to spend the extra 40 pounds, do it, and downgrade to an i5 and an H87 or H97 chipset motherboard. Z97/Z87 are only good for their overclocking ability.

Even if you get the 280x, the stock cooler that comes with your processor will be MORE than adequate to cool it while at stock speeds. Unless you plan on overclocking (and I strongly advise against it, unless you are very familiar with what you are doing), you DO NOT NEED an aftermarket CPU cooler.
---
MSI H87-G43 | Intel Core i5-4690 @ 3.5 Ghz | 8G Gskill Ripjaws X @ 1600 | Sapphire Radeon R7 260x